When to introduce egg yolk and egg white

Hi Mommies

My boys just turned 1 year old and will be taking the MMR jab soon.....and was told by the clinic staff to introduce egg yolk and then egg white to my boys to find out any reaction or allergy...

Please share how to introduce egg yolk..... was told to give cooked egg yolk... can i just add to their porridge and how many days i have to observe???

If no reaction with egg yolk, then how to intro egg white...same method mashed into small pieces and add to porridge??

Please share.....

Thanks.

annie

egg yolk can give below 1. egg white after 1. for egg yolk, u can try hard boiled egg yolk or poach egg (only the yolk) so its not so dry.. or use beaten egg yolk to add into porridge while its cooking or simply put the egg yolk flakes onto the porridge..

for egg white, same. hard boil egg, poach egg, fried egg, omelette etc.. french toast.. use whole eggs so the white is inside as well.

meiteoh

For egg yolks, can start from 8 mths onwards but egg whites from 12 months coz of allergies. Whatever or however you introduce eggs, you need to make sure that they are fully cooked (or else there is a high risk of them contracting salmonella, e.coli, etc). Introduce the yolk first by either cooking the whole egg and then mashing up the yolk and adding it to whatever you've feeding your baby then. After they are cleared off it, then you can intro the whole egg. That way you'll know whether it's the yolk or white that they are allergic to. :)

my elder twin reacted and got rashes over his chest and back... the younger twin is ok.... so do i need to continue to give to twins or just the younger one to confirm that he is not allergic to egg yolk??!!

Confused and blur

Any mommies with experience to share.

PinkDiamonds

I think u shld stop giving the elder the egg, but continue to give the younger one.

It didn't take very long for my girl to react to egg. Until now we have no idea if she's allergic to the yolk or white. Was thinking of introducing yolk to her, as I was told the MMR jab uses only egg white to preserve it.

Will be very troublesome to go to KKH to do it. Sigh.

raeka

I gave my boy eggs when is about time for MMR ..
well.. he tried the half boiled egg follow by egg white and yolk. lucky no reaction.

diymummy

That time I gave the whole egg to my son when he was 13 mths to test for allergies. Doc said that I shouldn't give the whole egg but just part of the egg. That's what I did for the next few times to test if he's still allergic. Usually I don't have to wait for 4 days for the allergy to surface. It will usually surface within 2 hrs of feeding the egg and most times within minutes.

I usually steam the egg so that it's softer to chew. You can also try to serve it hard boiled and mashed.

I think you can continue feeding the younger one but stop for the elder one.

My pd says to monitor the extent of the rash. He said that the MMR vaccine is made by culturing eggs. It doesn't mean it has egg in it though in the process, some bits might seep in. He also said that the flu vaccine is made from culturing eggs and my boy was fine with that vaccine so he should be fine with the MMR. But just to play safe, my pd is shifting my boy's MMR to be taken at 17 or 18 mths instead of at 15 mths.

mandymtb

That time I gave the whole egg to my son when he was 13 mths to test for allergies. Doc said that I shouldn't give the whole egg but just part of the egg. That's what I did for the next few times to test if he's still allergic. Usually I dont't have to wait for 4 days for the allergy to surface. It will usually surface within 2 hours of feeding the egg and most times within minutes.

I usually steam the egg so that it's softer to chew. You can also try to serve it hard boiled and mashed.

I think you can continue feeding the younger one but stop for the elder one.

My pediatrician says to monitor the extent of the rash. He said that the MMR vaccine is made by culturing eggs. It doesn't mean it has egg in it though in the process, some bits might seep in. He also said that the flu vaccine is made from culturing eggs and my boy was fine with that vaccine so he should be fine with the MMR. But just to play safe, my pediatrician is shifting my boy's MMR to be taken at 17 or 18 mths instead of at 15 mths.
is it okay to delay the MMR shot till 17 or 18 mths?? i mean, is this too late? or what wld be the risk for taking it this late?

diymummy

The risks of delaying it are always there. You wouldn't know when a virus would attack.

My pd was telling me that if my boy still shows signs of allergies to egg at 18mths to go ahead with the jab still because if we delay further, he might catch the measles/rubella/etc.

mandymtb

The risks of delaying it are always there. You wouldn't know when a virus would attack.

My pediatrician was telling me that if my boy still shows signs of allergies to egg at 18mths to go ahead with the jab still because if we delay further, he might catch the measles/rubella/etc.
but between the risk of taking it when the lil one is allergic to egg AND the risk of catching the virus, which one is higher and which one will result in a more undesire consequences?

PinkDiamonds

but between the risk of taking it when the lil one is allergic to egg AND the risk of catching the virus, which one is higher and which one will result in a more undesire consequences?
Actually I think the latter is worse. If your child has a mild allergy, it would take a day or 2 for him/her to recover from it. For a worse allergy, they may need to keep your child under observation while prescribing anti-histamines. Of course very bad allergy reactions can also lead to death.

If your child catches measles, it may lead to pneumonia, seizures, brain damage, and sometimes death.

For mumps it can lead to meningitis, deafness, swollen testicles/ovaries and sometimes death.

For rubella or German measles is quite mild, affecting an unborn baby with birth defects if the mother has it during her pregnancy.

If your child also has a weak immune system and falls sick frequently, I think it would be safer to get the vaccine as soon as possible. But of course, this is subject to the PD's diagnosis.

Another thing to note is that childhood allergies can be outgrown. For example, my girl used to have very bad allergic reaction to egg when she was below 6 months old. Within an hour you can see the effect. Now, every now and then we try to introduce egg to her and it appears that she is slowly outgrowing it. :)

diymummy

I agree with PinkDiamonds. If it's just a mild allergy, it can be quickly corrected with antihistamine. Or it would subside in 2-3 days. If any of the MMR viruses do attack, it could result in hospitalisation, even death.

And as said before, the vaccine is not made from egg, just cultured with it. Big difference.