when to know need to increase milk amt

carollai

hi all mummies

i am a new mother and currently my boy is 2mth +. he now drinking 95ml of formula milk. but how do i know when to increase the amt of milk, as everytime after my boy finish, he will cry like not enough, somtime will put his finger into his mouth, but if i give him too much, he will vomit alot..
what are the signs that prove not enough?

and anybody hav an experience that why the baby vomit alot, even after a hr of feed. is it he is not suitable to ...

Chimera

Hi carollai, congratulations on ur baby boy :)

I believe as a new mummy, everytime your baby wails you'll panic and think he didn't have enough food. But crying after a feed may be a sign of discomfort other than hunger. Try burping him after his feed and if he still wails after that you'll know that he is still hungry. 95ml for a 2month old is quite alot so I don't think he is still hungry just uncomfortable especially if he is feeding every hour at 95ml/hr. Babies who take breast milk tend to get hungry faster as breast milk gets digested faster than formula. So formula fed babies tend to take their feeds at longer intervals than breastfed babies. All babies have the instinct to suck, it's how they make themselves feel comfort.

(I'm speaking from my own personal experience as a mom of 3 boys) Hope the information helps. Cheers!

carollai

Hi carollai, congratulations on ur baby boy :)

I believe as a new mummy, everytime your baby wails you'll panic and think he didn't have enough food. But crying after a feed may be a sign of discomfort other than hunger. Try burping him after his feed and if he still wails after that you'll know that he is still hungry. 95ml for a 2month old is quite alot so I don't think he is still hungry just uncomfortable especially if he is feeding every hour at 95ml/hr. Babies who take breast milk tend to get hungry faster as breast milk gets digested faster than formula. So formula fed babies tend to take their feeds at longer intervals than breastfed babies. All babies have the instinct to suck, it's how they make themselves feel comfort.

(I'm speaking from my own personal experience as a mom of 3 boys) Hope the information helps. Cheers!
Hi Chimera,

thank you for your advice. my son is drinking 95ml for every 2 1/2hrs or 3hrs. is it still alot?? his weight now abt 5kg.

diymummy

lower limit over 24 hrs: 150ml x weight in kg
upper limit over 24 hrs: 200ml x weight in kg

Formula provided by my pd.

So based on your son's weight, he needs to be drinking between 750ml to 1000ml of milk a day. So if you feed every 3 hrs, that's 8 feeds a day, you need to feed between 93.75ml to 125ml. So 95ml is enough milk for a feed every 3 hrs.

Formula is good only when on all-milk diet.

You can try increasing his intake to 125ml per feed to see if he is satisfied. Feeding above the upper limit would be overfeeding.

That said, this is just how I handled my child. You can choose to handle your own otherwise.

carollai

lower limit over 24 hrs: 150ml x weight in kg
upper limit over 24 hrs: 200ml x weight in kg

Formula provided by my pd.

So based on your son's weight, he needs to be drinking between 750ml to 1000ml of milk a day. So if you feed every 3 hrs, that's 8 feeds a day, you need to feed between 93.75ml to 125ml. So 95ml is enough milk for a feed every 3 hrs.

Formula is good only when on all-milk diet.

You can try increasing his intake to 125ml per feed to see if he is satisfied. Feeding above the upper limit would be overfeeding.

That said, this is just how I handled my child. You can choose to handle your own otherwise.
hi diymummy,

thank you so much for the formula. is it normal bb will vomit after burp? as my boy sometime will vomit some, and some time will alot. sometime an hr after burp he will cry,like not comfortable, when i carry him up and try to burp him, he will burp and vomit some milk out too.
i scare to overfeed him as i had this happen before, then the milk come out from the nose and mouth. scary..

diymummy

Yes, my son will vomit milk while burping. As long as the milk doesn't smell sour, it is fine. And as long as the throw up is not projectile, ie, forceful, it is also fine. My son only stopped burping out his milk when he learnt how to sit up straight and burp on his own. My son had mild reflux because the milk he burped out was sour plus he would continue to vomit milk 1 hr after the feed.

diymummy

During growth spurts your son will demand for more as well. That is perfectly normal. Usually spurts will last a few days to a week.