when to pump the breasts for milk?

My baby feeds very frequently and my milk is just enough for her. But I would like to express more milk so that my husband can feed her too. (He wants to feed her very much.)

I know that that regular pumping can increase milk supply, but how often is regular? I am already feeding her on demand, which is about every 1.5h to 2.5h.

I think my breasts need a break too.

Mummy to Baby V

How old is your baby?

My supply also met my boy's demand nicely, he also fed very frequently. He's latched on for almost all his feeds. At any point, I could only store max 3 bottles of milk in freezer.

To stimulate supply, use the breastpump for about 5-10 minutes after a feed. Purpose is for stimulation, not to express milk yet.
After 6-8 weeks when supply stabilizes, then try to express for storage.

To let hubby feed, you can express milk at about 15-30 minutes before you think baby wants to feed. The milk would have probably come in by then. But in very early weeks or for some mums, expressing cannot match the volume of milk produced by latching on. So after the bottle-feed, might have to let baby continue latching to be satisfied.

To store, I could only wait until baby overslept (rarely). Or after he fed, try to express both sides. Usually, amount is little (10-20ml), so I add up a few times to get 1 bottle.

After 1-2 months, baby may also sleep longer. So you can wake up to express for storage and to stimulate supply.

And when hubby is feeding baby milk stored in fridge, you'd still need to express milk at about the same time, to avoid missing a feed. If missed, supply could drop or you could face engorgement. So actually, the breasts can't really take a break -- it's either feed directly or pump, according to baby's demand.

All the best! :)

Last edited:

Edwinie

yup! agree with mummy to baby very.

when you wake up in the morning, your milk supply will be the most. so if you have got not enough time throughout the day to pump, never miss the first pump in the morning.

at the beginning, you will most probably get a few drops by pumping. this is normal. just continue and don't feel demoralised!

i also wish my breasts can rest.. i think we won't have chance until we decide to stop breastfeeding. haha!!!

maichiang

yup! agree with mummy to baby very.

when you wake up in the morning, your milk supply will be the most. so if you have got not enough time throughout the day to pump, never miss the first pump in the morning.

at the beginning, you will most probably get a few drops by pumping. this is normal. just continue and don't feel demoralised!

i also wish my breasts can rest.. i think we won't have chance until we decide to stop breastfeeding. haha!!!
i just started pumping yst..i've a 5 week old son..i think my supply is on the low side thus the decision to pump after feeds to increase my supply..am also intending to express to store for future so that i can leave my son in my hubby's hands wid my EBM in the freezer..yst when i pumped from the other breast while my baby was latching on the other side,i had 60ml(very little rite?=S)..been pumping 4 hrly and my supply is getting lesser!!!! from the breast that baby wasnt latching..so weird!!!! how long do i have to wait to see results? and any other methods for faster results??

Mummy to Baby V

5 weeks is still early, usually needs 6-8 weeks to stabilize supply.
And expect a growth spurt around now or at 6 weeks. During this time, baby may want to latch on all the time for a few days, so let him be, as that would bring supply up permanently. It's the BEST way. :)

When there's no growth spurt, try expressing every 2-3 hourly instead of 4? 4 hours is a long time.

Milk boosting tea with fenugreek works, but takes a longer time to see effect.

Also, milk supply is sensitive to stress. The more you think about it, the less it may become. Must learn to relax... :)

maichiang

5 weeks is still early, usually needs 6-8 weeks to stabilize supply.
And expect a growth spurt around now or at 6 weeks. During this time, baby may want to latch on all the time for a few days, so let him be, as that would bring supply up permanently. It's the BEST way. :)

When there's no growth spurt, try expressing every 2-3 hourly instead of 4? 4 hours is a long time.

Milk boosting tea with fenugreek works, but takes a longer time to see effect.

Also, milk supply is sensitive to stress. The more you think about it, the less it may become. Must learn to relax... :)
hmmm..no wonder he keeps wanting to latch on..but he has been vomitting it out recently and its getting more frequent..too much milk in his stomach?? btw his stomach is very bloated..5 weeks is still early?? relieved now,hopefully it is increasing in amt..

2-3 hrly?? 4 hrly already am so tired cz i am using avent manual pump..i am onli gonna be expressing to increase supply then once supply increases,hope to stop expressing..would it affect the supply??

joeybeadz

hmmm..no wonder he keeps wanting to latch on..but he has been vomitting it out recently and its getting more frequent..too much milk in his stomach?? btw his stomach is very bloated..5 weeks is still early?? relieved now,hopefully it is increasing in amt..

2-3 hrly?? 4 hrly already am so tired cz i am using avent manual pump..i am onli gonna be expressing to increase supply then once supply increases,hope to stop expressing..would it affect the supply??
be careful of engorgement! Not want to scare you. I heard from my friends they got it and had fever, pain.. etc. But i supposed their supply is too good .:) and every 2 hours have to pump. If you are going back to work, the demand will drop as you will not have so many chances to find a place to pump out. Well, thats still sometime for u. Established the momentum first with your baby. I also fed on demand till later in 4-5 months, i fed while lying down. :) Oh.. I miss those days.

Mummy to Baby V

My son was very gassy too, have to do tummy massage to help him
fart, back massage to help him burp. It's common for baby to be bloated for several months, just got to learn how to help him feel better.

If pumping to stimulate more supply, then do so for 5-10 minutes after each feed, which is about 2-3 hours. If baby feeds on only one side, can try expressing the other side to stimulate. If not planning to store much (e.g. stay-home-mum), then can stop pumping to stimulate after a few months. Supply should match baby's demand well by then.

If returning to work or need to store more, then got to be more hardworking in pumping to stimulate, and to store later.
As maichiang said, some mums may not have time to express frequently at work. Some mums are also unable to express much compared to direct latching. (Of cos, there are also mums with very good supply.)