when to stop breastfeeding?

littlesnake

hi all,

i m wondering when to stop breastfeeding my baby n change to formula? my son is coming to 5mths n recently i fed him every 2hrs or sometimes 1hr he wan to nurse already..at nite he ll oso wake up in the middle of the nite to drink milk..i m thinking is it due to his appetite has increased n breastmilk is no longer sufficient for him n hence to change to formula milk?

Last edited:

diza

If you are still nursing him directly, I doubt you have issues with supply. More demand, more supply. I'm still BF my son and he's turning 1 yr next month. Every night, he still wakes up for feeding. Since he sleeps beside me, it's not an issue. I just let him latch and we both continue to sleep. Since you think his appetite is increasing and if he shows interest in food, then it's time to give him puréed food or cereal. I assume that you are a SAHM. Just cont to BF as long as u have the supply. Think abt the $$$ u r saving. :) I'm working and I can tell u, it's more challenging to ensure that I cont to BF him.

diza

FYI, I'm planning to stop only when I'm trying for no. 2. Currently supply is dipping coz I don't pump regularly at work but now I'm taking supplements to boost my supply again.

Littlesnake, its not a supply issue. Could be growth spurt or bb just like to comfort nurse. If growth spurt, this will pass soon. If it is because he likes to comfort nurse then u can either continue to let him do that or u can try to distract him when he wants to comfort nurse. Try to extend the interval slowly by 15 minutes. Soon he will realize that he need to drink enough to fill full instead of just curbing his hunger. I strongly encourage that u continue with bf as once u start fm it will signal your body to produce less milk and your supply will likely start to drop.

chaw

FYI, I'm planning to stop only when I'm trying for no. 2. Currently supply is dipping coz I dont't pump regularly at work but now I'm taking supplements to boost my supply again.
Hi Diza,

Which supplements your taken? I am also reducing the supply currently.

diza

Sry u mean ur supply is reducing or u want to reduce supply? I'm taking fenugreek capsules to boost my supply. GNC has it.

littlesnake

If you are still nursing him directly, I doubt you have issues with supply. More demand, more supply. I'm still BF my son and he's turning 1 yr next month. Every night, he still wakes up for feeding. Since he sleeps beside me, it's not an issue. I just let him latch and we both continue to sleep. Since you think his appetite is increasing and if he shows interest in food, then it's time to give him puréed food or cereal. I assume that you are a SAHM. Just cont to BF as long as u have the supply. Think abt the $$$ u r saving. :) I'm working and I can tell u, it's more challenging to ensure that I cont to BF him.
wat cereal or pureed food r u feeding ur baby?

littlesnake

Littlesnake, its not a supply issue. Could be growth spurt or bb just like to comfort nurse. If growth spurt, this will pass soon. If it is because he likes to comfort nurse then u can either continue to let him do that or u can try to distract him when he wants to comfort nurse. Try to extend the interval slowly by 15 minutes. Soon he will realize that he need to drink enough to fill full instead of just curbing his hunger. I strongly encourage that u continue with bf as once u start fm it will signal your body to produce less milk and your supply will likely start to drop.
hi blackcanary, i think he just like to comfort nurse..but once i feed him, he dun nurse for long..less than 10mins sometimes...seems lik milk is not sufficient for him lik tat :( made me feel tat he wan to start on solid foods :err:

Babies will become very efficient in removing milk as they grow bigger so don't be surprised if a 10 minutes nursing session can last u 3 to 4 hours. If he is really hungry at this age he will definitely cry for milk. U don't need to worry as long as his diaper output is good and is gaining weight. Did u try offering the breast when your bb unlatch after 10 minutes? Did he tske it or does he fuss?

Last edited:

ast0212

Demand feeding is easier and stress free no matter how often baby is damanding for milk. It could be hourly, two hourly or more. It's great for milk supply, makes baby happy, makes mummy happy. Trust your boobs. They make the best food for your baby and there's no reason to change to formula if your breastfeeding is going well :)

The night feeds will change. They may increase and decrease over the course of your bf journey. My little girl was feeding 3-4 times during the night until recently she now feeds 1-2 times a night. She is 18 months now....and yes, breastmilk is still good for her at this age.

Trust your instincts and your boobs and go with the flow...really. It is liberating :)

yu021984

[h=2]Re: when to stop breastfeeding?[/h]
I stop bf when my baby don't latch , try nursing tea. personally tried sacred nursing tea , it works .