When will baby sleep thru the night?

lilypads

Hello Mummies,

My baby is 12 months old and still wake up for feeds at least once or twice during the night. She is now eating quite well during the day (3 solid meals) and a couple of healthy snacks (bananas and other fruits) and still BF... I've been looking forward to her full night sleep but it still not happen... Would highly appreciate if mummies could share your experience on this.

Thanks,
:confused:

apollo

ds started to slp thru at 12 week old iirc.. it depends on individual, some babie can slp thru at v young age while some will only slp thru at 5-6 mths old.

u can try giving him pacifier instead of milk, cos sometimes they ust wan to suckle on sth. but if he still cry aft u give pacifier, den ut gif milk. cos i feel tt such things shdn't be 'forced'. they will slp thru when they are ready.

pepperphibs

Hi,

I had the same issue until 2 weeks back. My daughter finally started sleeping thru the night. she is 8 mths old now.

U can try giving her a bit more milk or add cereal into her milk during her last feed. For my daughter, she used to wake up, drink milk then go back to sleep so i know it was hunger that woke her up.

So it depends i guess.

sugarcookie

My girl is 14mths and still doesn't sleep through the night.

She can wake up up to 5X a night! Not for milk though. She wants me to pat her back to sleep.

It's really tiring.

You can try the cry-it-out method; it's supposed to be very effective. But you have to harden your heart. I tried it out a few times but gave up. I'm just not emotionally strong enough to let my child cry and scream.

So now I'm just waiting for her to zzz through. Sigh!

Verona's

My baby sleep through the night since she is 1-2 month old :) I think its depend on individual , i heard that it can be trained ..

annie

my girl is 19mths old n still not yet sleeping through the night! it depends on how u define sleeping through the night.. my girl has been sleeping through the 'night' from 930pm-630am (wake up for milk) and sleep again till 830am. i dun consider this as sleeping through though 630am is already morning (she dosent wake up at night to drink milk). however, this mth she has been waking up at 430am-5am for milk because the sun rises earlier here in summer! for me, sleeping through the night means totally never wake up for milk till she is ready to wake up for the day. i dunno when she can sleep through too..

Lazy_Mum

Guess my experience is much worse than another of you...

My elder son doesn't sleep well since he is born. From 1 yr old onwards, thing are getting worse. He will wake up screaming and shouting at his voice in the middle of the night. Both my husband and myself are so tired and annoyed with his behaviour and will scold him and find where to wake him. But thing get worse most of the time. The whole crying and screaming will happen almost every night for several times which lasted 15min to 30min.

Then I start doing some reseach and discover that there is this medical term "NIGHT TERROR" which might affect some of the children below 7 yrs old. Most happen to boy. This is something like nightmare but worse than that. Which the kid's brain is still active whereas he is physically tired. Thus causing the kid to confuse and scare. When this Night Terror happen, do not try to wake him or shout at him as this will make him more confuse. He will not know what happen and he will not know where is he and who is he with. There is a lot of information in the website about this Night Terror. And sorry to say that there is no cure to it, only a few trial and error way. Most kid will out grown with it and family members need to understand and be patient to it.

Recently my mother suggest to bring my son to temple to pray and hope it will help. Either it do help or my son is finally start to out grown this Night Terror. He started to sleep better and only have this Night Terror once a while. Thank God.....at least everyone can rest better nowsaday.....for your information, my son is already 3 yrs old.....so you can imagine those days with sleep.......

Hope my experience will help some mummy & daddy.......good luck.......

Hi, I don't know if my method do help u, i also have a boy who wakes on in the night for feeding on the 3 month..i started to get worried...as i need to go back to work after the 4th month...then i started reading some books on feeding the baby. routine is very impt. if u feed your baby every 3 or 4 hours...then try to stick to it. then for night feed...I will observe his cry...if is a small weep...i will try to ignore first....pat him to sleep...unless the cry turn loud...(I try this starting on fri to avoid disturb my hubby wake up) ...then I also tried gradually reduce the ML of the milk to feed him. and slowly ...it works...he recognise that he does not need to nite feed..and sleep thruout. u may want to try it. my boy last feed is 10 to 10.30...and wakes up at 7+. I do not recommend to do this for a baby younger than 2 months...as the baby requires all the nutrients to grow...and needed to be fed every 2 to 3 hours...even if ur baby doesn't wake up in the nite for feed when he is only 1 month old...pls wake him up.

Last edited:

bdaygrl

My 8 month old still wakes once or twice in the night for milk, and on top of that she uses the pacifier and starts fidgeting every hour or so when it falls out of her mouth, and we have to pop it back in before she starts waking up and crying.
So I'm waiting for her to outgrow her need for milk AND learn how to find the pacifier and put it in her mouth on her own. I think I still need to wait long long...

Verona's

my girl is 19mths old n still not yet sleeping through the night! it depends on how you define sleeping through the night.. my girl has been sleeping through the 'night' from 930pm-630am (wake up for milk) and sleep again till 830am. i dont consider this as sleeping through though 630am is already morning (she dosent wake up at night to drink milk). however, this month she has been waking up at 430am-5am for milk because the sun rises earlier here in summer! for me, sleeping through the night means totally never wake up for milk till she is ready to wake up for the day. i dont know when she can sleep through too..

Actually my baby sleep time also same as yours& i consider as sleeping through the night :)

apollo

Hi,

I had the same issue until 2 weeks back. My daughter finally started sleeping thru the night. she is 8 mths old now.

you can try giving her a bit more milk or add cereal into her milk during her last feed. For my daughter, she used to wake up, drink milk then go back to sleep so i know it was hunger that woke her up.

So it depends i guess.
sry but i dun agree with u. by adding cereal into milk bottle with milk to feed bb, might choke them. =)

Last edited:

pinkyrin

My 17mth old toddler still wakes up for milk in e middle of the night,he eats a lot during e day but still waking up at nite,dunno wen he can sleep throughout e nite,still waiting for dat day to come..can be quite tiring especially hv to wake up for work in e morning..:wong19:

ping26

Hello Mummies,

My baby is 12 months old and still wake up for feeds at least once or twice during the night. She is now eating quite well during the day (3 solid meals) and a couple of healthy snacks (bananas and other fruits) and still BF... I've been looking forward to her full night sleep but it still not happen... Would highly appreciate if mummies could share your experience on this.

Thanks,
:confused:
hi lilypads mummy,

my 13 mth baby used to wake up for night feeds until recently.

After checking my baby's weight, milk & solid intake, my PD advised that my then 12mth-old baby was drinking out of habit. She eats & drinks a lot for her size.

He advised offering security stuff eg blankie, soft toy (in place of milk) when she wakes up at night. To avoid associating sleep with milk, so no milk is to be given 1 hr before bedtime. He said it was normal for babies to wake up a few times thro the night & they usu learn to self-soothe & go back to sleep. Some babies will cry for milk as they're used to "drinking to sleep". At 1 year old, most babies are not really hungry in the middle of night if they are eating solids well.

I usu offered her smelly pillow or water (something to bite/suck or smell). If she didn't go back to sleep & whimpered on, I gave her 50% of her usu intake. She didn't sleep fitfully for the first few nights. After 1 week, she didn't wake up for milk any more. :001_302: She usu wakes up ard 7+am but doesn't ask for milk till 8+am.

She usu makes noise when she passes a lot of urine or diaper is full. Sometimes she just sits up & mumbles something. Recently she's been waking up at 6ish am cos she's unwell or teething (molars popping). I'll usu give 2 oz milk as it can help her sleep till 8-9am sometimes.

She sleeps from 10pm - 7+ am & doesn't nap long.:embarrassed:

potato

My 16 month old gal still wakes up for her night feeds, she doesn't use a pacifier. So whenever she wails, i'll feed her milk. She can finish a whole bottle, in rare case, she demands more and i'll give it to her? Will she ever sleep through the night? She must be really hungry to finish up her nightly milk feeds even though we feed her 3 meals a day. :)

sugarcookie

Seems like most unable-to-zzz-thru-the-night babies here wake up for milk.

Any Mummies of babies here who wake up several times a night but NOT for milk?

My child is 14mths and wakes up at least twice a night, sometimes up to 5 times...! I weaned her off night feeds at 7.5mths, so it's definitely not for milk. She wants me to pat her back to sleep.

It's really tiring and frustrating.

apollo

Seems like most unable-to-zzz-thru-the-night babies here wake up for milk.

Any Mummies of babies here who wake up several times a night but NOT for milk?

My child is 14mths and wakes up at least twice a night, sometimes up to 5 times...! I weaned her off night feeds at 7.5mths, so it's definitely not for milk. She wants me to pat her back to sleep.

It's really tiring and frustrating.
ds!!!! he used to wake up few times per night, not asking for milk but crying instead. he ust cried badly as if he had a bad nightmare and it was EVERY NIGHT!!!! aft seeking his pd's advices, we stop playing crazily with himb4 bedtime, dont let him watch too much tv & dun bring him out too often aft dinner time etc. cos all these might over stimulate them =)

baby can't speak..thus when they cry for the middle of the night..doesn't means they are hungry...my baby being off nite feed...crys at nite..due to wind in the stomach...so i massage oil on the tummy...then give him some gripe water...and he stop crying and sleep thru. then on another occassion he also cry...we suspect is the teething...so we put the teething gel...and after a while...pat him to sleep. Both works. I guess...baby cry for a reason. If u keep giving milk as a form of comforting him to sleep...then every nite he/she will ask for milk to feel comfort. baby learn very fast one...so try on a weekend to break off the habit.. let him cry a bit...unless really loud. Try reading this book...Baby wise (giving your infant the gift of nightime sleep) by Ezzo & Bucknam...i personally don't know how to handle a infant...but this book really teaches me alot.

lilypads

Thanks all mummies for your sharing.

I will seek out the Baby Wise and try some different methods ... I think my little girl is teething also, she already has 9 teeth and few more are on the way ... must make her uncomfortable... so will try the teething ring tonite.

@ Lazy Mummy: My older boy (now 5 and half) sometimes had that terrible nightmare like you said... lucky that it only happens very occasionally, fist my husband tried to wake him up and told him off but, of course, it didn't work. Now I know the reason. Hopefully it won't happen again and hope you will have better nights with your son.

fern

My baby sleep through the night since she is 1-2 month old :) I think its depend on individual , i heard that it can be trained ..

from 5th week or so, my baby also start sleeping from around midnight to 6 am. Because she won't wake up for milk, i try to feed her again (around midnight or whatever time i am going to sleep) even if it is before feeding time.

Verona's

I will just let her sleep , i think its fine because if they r hungry they will cry for milk , even though she sleep through the night but when she is hungry she will wake at around 3 + for milk :)