his/her own?
Right now, my Belle sleeps in her cot in the same
room as us, she is 6mths old now. We do plan to let
her sleep in her own room eventually. Wondering when
is good & how do you help your baby to adjust to being
in her own room?
Thanks in advance :Dancing_wub:

meiteoh

Eva has been sleeping in her own room since she was 1 mth old and we feel that it was a good move to start her young - it allowed hubby and I much needed rest and privacy.

Mummy to Baby V

It really depends on the child's needs and the parent's preferences.

1st month: I started my boy sleeping in his cot, in nursery room with confinement lady.
2nd month: He slept in cot beside my bed, to facilitate frequent night breastfeeds.

BUT he was a very clingy, colicky, fussy light sleeper.

4th month: We gave up and co-sleep.

Now, at 20 months old, he sleeps on a mattress next to ours.
I think he'd be in his own room when much older with another sibling for company.
Maybe 5 years old.

duckiemom

Eva has been sleeping in her own room since she was 1 mth old and we feel that it was a good move to start her young - it allowed hubby and I much needed rest and privacy.
hey Meiteoh mommy,
ya i am thinking of shifting the cot to her own room soon (she is 6mths old)
before she gets too attached to our room. Since bb Eva started sleeping in her
own room so young at 2mths, i supposed she didn't resist right?
I am concerned if my Belle will fret and fuss alot if we shift now, but if procrastinate
further, we may face problems later??
Thanks again!

meiteoh

Even when we started young, it wasn't cold turkey starting as in one night she was with us and the next night she was on her own. She slept in the same room with us for the first month or so - in fact, her crib was right next to my bed. Then about two weeks later, we move the crib to the foot of the bed. Then another two to three weeks later, she was in her own room. We made sure that nothing in the bed changed and that she had something to remind her of me like an old T-shirt or sarong or something. :)

When we went on holiday and she was sleeping in a new portable crib, I bought her soft toys and such. I'm always prepared for some extra bit of fusiness on the first two nights. With the new place, it was the same. We just moved to our new home in Sept and she has her own room. Took her about two nights to adjust - I believe what made it easier was the fact that the cuddlies in her bed and some of the things outside her bed were the same (eg her toys, playmat, etc).

Maybe you can try to let her take her afternoon naps in the room just to get her used to being in another room. Then try one night with her in her own room - you may need to sleep with her in that room (once she's fast asleep, you can sneak out) (I was doing that too) just to help her adjust to the idea of her having her own room.

Eva has been sleeping in her own room since she was 1 month old and we feel that it was a good move to start her young - it allowed hubby and I much needed rest and privacy.
Wow lucky you!! We planned to do the same thing with our girl. Moved her to her own room after 2 months. But after that, she still wake up at night, cry for milk and don't want to be alone. It was too tiring so we moved her cot back to our room. We tried again when she was about 1. She refused and cried every day at bedtime for the next few days. We felt so bad and gave up. Now she's almost 18 months!

We're trying for no. 2 now. Still no success, but hoping and trying. When no. 2 is here (hope so!), then we will put them both together in the same room, so at least they have company.

I heard from a few friends that they went through the same thing and it helps when no. 2 comes and they share the room. My friend also said it's a good idea to get her to help choose some furniture or decoration for the room so she feels like it's her special place and recognises that it is Her Room.

duckiemom

Even when we started young, it wasn't cold turkey starting as in one night she was with us and the next night she was on her own. She slept in the same room with us for the first month or so - in fact, her crib was right next to my bed. Then about two weeks later, we move the crib to the foot of the bed. Then another two to three weeks later, she was in her own room. We made sure that nothing in the bed changed and that she had something to remind her of me like an old T-shirt or sarong or something. :)

When we went on holiday and she was sleeping in a new portable crib, I bought her soft toys and such. I'm always prepared for some extra bit of fusiness on the first two nights. With the new place, it was the same. We just moved to our new home in Sept and she has her own room. Took her about two nights to adjust - I believe what made it easier was the fact that the cuddlies in her bed and some of the things outside her bed were the same (eg her toys, playmat, etc).

Maybe you can try to let her take her afternoon naps in the room just to get her used to being in another room. Then try one night with her in her own room - you may need to sleep with her in that room (once she's fast asleep, you can sneak out) (I was doing that too) just to help her adjust to the idea of her having her own room.
hey Meiteoh mommy,
thanks for your sharing, i think i will try your method, hopefully Belle will be able to adjust fast :Dancing_wub:
thanks again!

duckiemom

Hey Meiteoh mommy,
need some advice here, when you mentioned about giving some toys and stuff to help your baby adjust, how did you do it?
I tried to put Belle in her room to nap, wow she resisted big time; i did put a few toys and also my clothes (for the smell), but it didn't work.. Haven't move the cot to her room, so i just use a mattress and put it there, also move the high chair in. She sometimes will nap on the high chair in e living room. Pls help :embarrassed:

meiteoh

duckiemom, I will usually carry her with the toy or in my clothes for the first few days before going through to just leaving her with my items. That way, I allow her the chance to be introduced to these items without feeling insecure (I'm still doing the usual). (In other words, you may want to let her sleep in the cot with these items.) Only when she's ready, do I move to the next step. (Then either move further from your bed or to just outside the door (but not in her room).)

As I mentioned before, it's not an overnight change - have to be persistent and trying everything/anything possible plus be patient.

duckiemom

hey,
Thanks for your advice, i think i had made the mistake by not carrying Belle initially.
I left her in the room with some toys and a blanket (for a short few minutes) But maybe
may have caused her to be insecure. I tried again just now, she is a little bit better,
she was willing to be placed on the mattress and even roll around. But after that she
cried when i left the room to take stuff. Yes, i will be persistent and patient, thanks Meiteoh mommy :D

DodoTan

Since birth, my son will nap in his own room and sleep in our room at night but be it nap or night sleep, always in his playpen. Around 6 months, we bought a baby monitor so he started sleeping in his own room at night. No problems so far. Want to do the same for my daughter, but unfortunately got no room for her. Am now trying to re-pack the study and move it to the living room so that the current study room can become her room.

Mrs.Cat

Since birth, my son will nap in his own room and sleep in our room at night but be it nap or night sleep, always in his playpen. Around 6 months, we bought a baby monitor so he started sleeping in his own room at night. No problems so far. Want to do the same for my daughter, but unfortunately got no room for her. Am now trying to re-pack the study and move it to the living room so that the current study room can become her room.
Hey there, my daughter sleeps in her own playpan since the first day when she's home. Playpan in our room, 10 months later, she sleeps in her own room. We shifted the playpan out of our room, set up the baby monitor. She is 3 years old now and she still sleeps in her own room and in her own bed.

Infact, I tried to ask her sleep next to me but she just refused to and always wanting to go back to her own room and own bed when comes bedtime.

A baby monitor will be a good start.