Where can I buy toys that are not made in china?

Kxmum

Hello mummies, went toy shopping recently and I realized it is almost impossible to find toys that are not made in china...my gal just turned six mths and she will chew on every single thing that she can get her hands on.. In the end I only bought the avent teether for her to play with cos that is made in Malaysia..

Any mummies know which brand of toys is not made in china? Thanks thanks

angiebaby

you can diy toys yourself and to ensure the quality of the toys, now most of the things are made in china and tag the brand somewhere else, the market is flooded with china made products.

Sophie le giraffe toy is made in France. It's natural rubber and made for chewing. I got mine from MotherWorks. Not sure if Mothercare has it. Have u been to The Better Toy shop? Think that's the name. 5th floor of Ngee Ann City and there's a shop at Tanglin Mall. I also buy the sucking blankie from the French label Titoutam. Got it at a shop in Tanglin Mall near to Gymboree. You just have to keep your eyes out and look out for stuff not made in China. A note though, these items costs more. My Titoutam alone is $49.

Mummy to Baby V

It's quite tough to find them. My boy has a set of wooden blocks made in Germany, bought in Robinsons KL.

Plan Toys (wooden toys) are well-known and made in Thailand.

MEGA Bloks: some made in Canada, some in China.

I still like Lego Duplo, even though they're made in China. The quality is still as high as when I was young.

I search for established brands with stated safety standards and stay in touch with product recalls by subscribing to CPSC updates.

apollo

Nowadays, most toys are Made in China. But i believe that for some reputable brands, though their toys are Made in China, but they QC their toys strictly esp after you compared different brands of toys, you will feel/see the difference.

apollo

The FP toys I bought, yes, stated CHINA. And some were brought back from US by my friend. But so far I dont see any problem in the quality thus I supposed the QC were okay. =)

I avoid buying Made in China stuff as much as possible. Even stopped my mom from buying Skippy peanut butter now that it's made in China. If there is an alternative, I'll choose from anywhere else. If we keep supporting China stuff, things will never change. I've heard enough horror stories abt lead tainted toys and melamine tainted milk, amongst other terrible tales. I'm not taking any risks with my babies. Not with food and any toys they put in their mouth. When they're older I'll relax my stance.... maybe.

pinkapple

ho ho ho!

it's quite tough to find non-MIC toys.

besides The Better Toy Sotre, u can also try ELC (Early Learning Centre).

erm... actually hor... those toys that kena recall are from reputable brands like Fisher Price. unless u consider that not reputable lah.

and I thought I'm the only one who avoid MIC stuff.

there was once we told my son that a certain toy was MIC and he exclaimed, "Har?! I dont' want to throw away!"
cos we throw those recall toys away.

Most things I asked the assistants about were. Some things really no choice. Like toddler bicycle helmet. All MIC regardless of where I go and check.

Mummy to Baby V

If I need to get Made in China items, I opt for the larger brand names so that I'd know when it's recalled.

Many ELC items are MIC, we have quite a number of its toy musical instruments and painting accessories. Really couldn't find better alternatives for the musical stuff.

In general, I don't let my boy mouth the toys. If his gums are really itchy, I give him a teether.
After playing and before eating, I wipe his hands clean.

For food, especially fruits, China origin is a definite no-no for us.

Kxmum

Actually for brands like FP, I am confident of their design but not confident of the materials they use. Cos if I recalled correctly, it was reported last time that their local china supplier whom supplied them with the raw materials added in harmful chemicals...u will never know wat kind of creative good stuff they add in just to make profit..and to what extend are the harmful chemicals detectable by the toy makers..

Anyway, I am only particular abt toys cos bb will chew on them..my other stuff Like high chair and rocker are made in china...no choice...

Guess I have make trip down to ngee Ann Liao :)