Where to buy montessori materials

jojoki

anyone know where i can get? Other than from e ebay sellers... thanks in advance

camom

I know this place sells:

The Montessori Gallery

FANSIDA FAR EAST PTE LTD
46 Geylang Lorong 23
FANSIDA BUILDING
Singapore 388375

But not cheap.

The guy who attended to me the last time I went in 2004 was very patient. I bought some books from there.

U want to try making your own? You can join this group montessorimaterials in yahoo.

cmeilim

Hi camom,

tks for sharing the yahoo group. some of the montessori materials are really not that difficult to DIY, much cheaper than buying but just need time.

camom

Glad to be of help!

Ya, it's actually pretty tedious to make. Like the moving alphabet, I improvised my own using a small foam notice board with pins and cardboard with letters printed.

jojoki

I have made some flashcards, and some on teaching shapes and colour discrimination but yes its tedious and time consuming. I can only do when she is asleep at night and normally when she is asleep i will start cleaning up the house, sterilizing her toys n stuffs, do laundry etc n i usually got to bed at 2am and am too tired to prepare any materials fr her.

I try to get all chores done during her sleeping time so that when she is awake I can give her quality time n attention. Now that she is down to one 1.5 hours nap a day... sigh i hardly have time for anything!

cmeilim

i dun hv the luxury of time cos i am a FTWM. My work is quite demanding and i am usually zonked out after the night feed. sometimes i even fall asleep earlier than my baby at night!

cmeilim

anyone know where i can get? Other than from e ebay sellers... thanks in advance
Hey jo

i found a seller on Singapore Motherhood selling montessori family kits. The items in the family kit are indeed as per the original ones, but the size is apparently smaller. You may want to check her out.

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/3682550.html?1267913307

she also sells the professional version at the usual size but this is more expensive and more for classroom or enrichment centre setting.

Last edited:

jojoki

Hey jo

i found a seller on Singapore Motherhood selling montessori family kits. The items in the family kit are indeed as per the original ones, but the size is apparently smaller. You may want to check her out.

http://www.doesnotwork.com/forumboard/messages/581296/3682550.html?1267913307

she also sells the professional version at the usual size but this is more expensive and more for classroom or enrichment centre setting.
HI CMEILIM,

thanks for the info. i came across the thread. but ive fallen victim many times to inferior montessori goods.. eg chips, paint peels, etc so i'm quite wary nowadays... esp if its from china

fansida just sent me quotation but its super mega ezpensive!!! their leaf insets puzzles (3) cost $300 over... thats outrageously ex! comparatively i think its cheaper to ship in from US! So i will be ordering from states instead!

camom

HI CMEILIM,

thanks for the info. i came across the thread. but ive fallen victim many times to inferior montessori goods.. eg chips, paint peels, etc so i'm quite wary nowadays... esp if its from china

fansida just sent me quotation but its super mega ezpensive!!! their leaf insets puzzles (3) cost $300 over... thats outrageously ex! comparatively i think its cheaper to ship in from US! So i will be ordering from states instead!
I am not too sure about leaf insets but there are some things that I can get at lower cost but of course, dont't expect it to be exactly the same. The key is improvise.

Some of the stuff:

From Growing Fun:
Number Rods
Cubes
Constructive materials like snap cubes

From Toys R Us:
Toobs animal set - for natural studies

From ELC:
Porcelain water jug and cup set

From Popular:
MMI continents set
MMI basic phonics set with the sand paper
MMI pink scheme set

From Craft Shops:
Beads of different sizes
Laces for stringing

For those I can't get at a reasonable price, I did up my own or get help to do them up. Like for 3 part cards, I printed them off the internet and laminated them for use. Same goes for the colour boxes & nomenclature classification cards.

For dressing frames, my mom helped me do the zip ones. I also got this Blue Clues cloth book at 1 book fair from long long time ago that has the zips, clips, lace ties and so on. For counting, I used ice cream sticks in place of proper spindles with a DIY box with separators. For Moving Alphabets, I used cardboard printed with the alphabets with pushpins and a foam notice board.

For smelling boxes, I recycled those little translucent pots from Crayola paints and tape the outside with opaque masking tape.

As far as possible, I try to emulate the way they work with materials in school. I have a cloth placemat for my child to work with the materials on. I don't treat this as playtime. My child works with the materials, not play with it.

You might want to go to this website Nienhuis Montessori - Please select your language and request for a free catalogue of their materials. I did that to get visuals on how to do up my materials.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

cmeilim

HI CMEILIM,

what/who is fansida? you order from amazon usa?