Which month do you all start buying books for babies to read?

peacefulgal

my 9 month son is not interested in books. he feels like tearing the pages off whenever i place a book to read in front of him.

heehee

megtan

I started buying books and read to my son when he was about 4-5 months old. Mainly board books with flaps, like the Spot series. Read to him 3 times a day - before morning nap, afternoon nap and bed time. Morning and afternoon will go through about 4-5 books, whereas bedtime around 2-3 books. Usually would hold 2 books in front of him and let him choose.
But nowadays, his attention span gets shorter, sometimes half way he would lose interest and turn/crawl away. He also bites and tears his books, will pull the book away and tell him no.

apollo

i bought those fisherprice 'music books' for ds. 1 is numbers another is shapes but he dun wan us to 'read' to him only wanna flip it and listen to the songs. but he is very keen in the Alphabet book we bought for him recently. will pass me to book and 'ask' me to read to him. usually i will let him flip the book and whichever page he flip to, i will tell him what is that alphabet.

i think at 9mth old, ur son is still more interested in exploring other things, but at least he touch the books. u can try buying those hard or cloth type for him, let him flip and read that page to him. can consider to start with shapes, numbers, alphabets or single word so at least when he flip to the pages, you can quickly read the content to him. =)

cmeilim

i started with showing basic black/white/red fabric books to Ian and pointing out picture to him after his first month, then progressed to other more colourful fabric books. i am an avid reader myself and fully believe in inculcating a love for books and reading in children from young, as that was the way my parents brought me up as well. we got ian a library membership card when he was a couple of months old and have been borrowing abt 12 books every 3 weeks from the library in addition to reading the many other board books and picture books I have bought him. he has grown to flip books, look for books for us to read to him, show us interesting pictures, choose books over toys sometimes), loves visiting the library and bookshops, have specific favourite bedtime storybook preferences, etc - although he does still bite books from time to time, even board books!

it is only natural for babies to have short attention span and be more interesting in exploring books by mouthing/flipping/throwing etc. but it's certainly never too young to start reading them and building their interest in books. persevere even if they don't seem to show interest at first, because you never know how much he is actually absorbing indirectly or passively until a few more months down the road. when he's still so young, it's not a must to make him sit through a book from cover to cover. what's more important is to let him learn to enjoy seeking out books on his own, flipping through them (randomly). let him lead you in reading to him what he's interested in or what catches his attention most. in this way, u will be making the 'reading' process very enjoyable for him, and this will increase the likelihood that he will ask you to read to him and explore books together in future. i personally find it very fascinating to discover what my boy fancies in each book at different times. =)

raeka

9 month old baby like to see those books which they can feel like the animal skin. i bought 3 books which he can feel one. when he is 8 month old.
yes ,they like to tear the book so we need to guide them ... now my boy is coming to 2. He like to read but sometime he lose his interest and sometime he approach me and ask me to read for him.

slowly, reading is good. Build up their patience .

cmeilim

books which encourage interaction and are multi-sensorial are great for babies and toddlers - books with flaps, textures, puzzles, sliding 'windows', buttons for activating light and sound, etc can usually catch their attention for a longer period of time. books with great rhymes are also good for parents to read to their babies and children. when a parent reads a book to the baby or child, add in different tones and voices for different characters, read with emotions, action and drama. don't just read a book, but be an animated storyteller. this will also help increase your child's interest in books and reading.

have fun!!!

peacefulgal

thanks for all the replies mummies! i guess i have to persevere on even though i may seem to be reading to the air most of the time :07:

i think borrowing from library is a start, will consider that seriously :)

diymummy

If your baby is prone to tearing books, you could use fabric books or board books. Flipping books also teaches them some finger skills. I started with very basic books with very bright colours. My son also used to not like books. But after reading books to him everyday, now he even enjoys going to the library!

peacefulgal

If your baby is prone to tearing books, you could use fabric books or board books. Flipping books also teaches them some finger skills. I started with very basic books with very bright colours. My son also used to not like books. But after reading books to him everyday, now he even enjoys going to the library!
this is truly encouraging. :)