Why is there a need to bank baby's cord blood?

glamoricious

Hi mummies/mummies soon-to-be.. I have a few questions regarding on the banking our baby's cord blood. because my doctor encouraged me to bank in my baby's cord blood so I'm in a dilemma.

1. Do you think it is important to bank my baby's cord blood?

2. Have you ever bank your baby's cord blood?

3. Why did you choose to bank in your preferred cord blood bank?

4. How much would it cost? Which would be worthy?

Please share with me your opinions and what should I do to welcome my baby.

Thanks everyone!:tlaugh:

mag_huiling

Up to individual. Baby's cord blood can help others who are in need of it. Will see it as doing something good & able to save lives instead of chucking it away..

Yes. But mine is too little to be used. So i think they used it for research or what...

I banked in Singapore Cord Blood Bank. Private Cord blood bank charges and for personal usage(*touch wood*). If we(or our family members) didn't use it, isn't it wasted?

depends on individuals too... SCBB don't charge, but if one day any of the family members needs it, you wouldn't be able to retrieve unless the cord blood have not been used.

Welcome your baby by donating the cordblood to save lives!

MaMa_P

I did bank in my son's blood cord in Singapore Cord Blood Bank.
It is free.
I strongly encouraged you to bank in the cord, whether in private(which you need to buy a fee annually) or govt(which is free) as you can help those in needs. Why not?
I know that the cord have plenty of benefits to those in needs.
So, why not?

Cheers,
penny

hakisumi

Up to individual, I personally think with such hi-medical technology, i would wanna to keep it
Going to... carrying my 1st one

Just in case.. *touch wood* can be used among siblings too.. i didnt read into details.. i dun like to read these kind of things de.. read le.. my mind will anyhow think...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..arhhh .. *hate the feeling*

My gynae pass me the catalog, i contact the person in charge, got some baby bonus or something..dunno exactly how it works, need to know more info from the person too

Be happy & look forward... oh yeaaaaaaa yippie

jas16

This is up to yourself, nothing substantial or discussed. I have seen a trend in technology advancement and more awareness. Anyhow, doesn't it work like a sort of insurance? Only this one can literally save your child instead of compensating in cash.

I have chosen StemCord, since they tie up with TMC

It doesn't matter which company to me.. but since the company has a booth there.. I just signed up

Mine cost $1000? But I was told it can be deducted through baby's account.. so government pays.. yearly maintenance is $100plus..

momomee

Hi

I think it's important and useful to bank in your baby's cord blood. As I'm a mother of a 2 year old son, I banked in my son's cord blood with Cordlife after being encouraged by my gynae and discussion with my hubby. The reason why I choose cord blood banking is because it safeguard my family's future health.

The reason I choose Cordlife is because its only private cord blood bank in Singapore to be accredited by AABB, they have the Sepax automated cord blood processing technology and also the Quality Guarantee which assures you of a cord blood replacement or a compensation of up to US$25,000 if the cord blood loses its viability at the point of transplant.

I heard that they are having an interactive workshop for expectant parents on 19th Sept. Plus you will enjoy a discount if you register cord blood banking during the event. You can visit their website http://www.cordlife.com/sg/eventpromo/events.php?target=pregnancyjourney
for more details.

I hope these information is relevant for your reference. Be positive and excited about your baby's arrival! xD

Oppsgal

Keeping cordblood is useful when something happens.

I think is something like insurance. Insure family's health is protected. If anything happen can use to save life.

how to donate cord blood?

will gynae or people fr sccb collect cord blood?

do we need to inform gynae beforehand?

do we need to call sccb when we r going to deliver in d hospital?

An72

Because banking your baby's Cord Blood is for profit private cord blood bank for a family's own use. Parents can donate their baby's umbilical cord blood in a public bank for free. Patients who need a cord blood transplant can currently try to find a match with a sibling or from an unrelated person. An autologous (self) transplant can also be done if a child's umbilical cord blood has been stored in a private cord blood bank. Other doctors and researchers support saving umbilical cord blood as a source of blood-forming stem cells in every delivery - mainly because of the promise that stem-cell research holds for the future. Most people would have little use for stem cells now, but research into the use of stem cells for treatment of disease is ongoing and the future looks promising.

Last edited:

suekyai

Hi,

I chose Cordlife..signed up during the Expo Babyfair earlier in the year. I decided to go ahead because my MIL was adopted so husband isn't sure about medical history on his side. Of course, we hope we never have to use it but just signed up to put our minds at ease. We opted for the 21 yr plan...it is basically like an insurance policy...I deposited about $2800+ in baby's account..matched up to $5600+...this is the total price for 21 yr plan..so need not pay any yearly charges...cheaper in the long run...and after 21 years, child can take over the "policy"...he can choose to continue or not.

eurostar

just curious, if we store in private blood bank, lets say after 20 yr we decide not to continue can we donate to public bank?

kitty cat

just curious, if we store in private blood bank, lets say after 20 yr we decide not to continue can we donate to public bank?
I don't think public bank allow that, say is part of their SOP. For me since storing in private bank already then just continue lor after 21 years mark if my child still want to keep then up to them.

kitty cat

1. It acts as a form of insurance given that the cells collected can save your baby from certain illness.

2. If got the spare cash, then why not.

3. If you decide to bank with Cordlife let me know :)

timtams

Question to those who's already stored and paying on yearly basis.. at which year did you stop the service or will plan to stop? I'm still servicing Stemcord for my younger kid while the older one's stored with Cordlife who'd already taken 10yr contract from me.