will coffee affect breatmilk?

missblue18

Hi

I've just completed my confinement and dying for coffee...just want to find out if consuming coffee will affect my breastmilk? i dun take much just a cup a day...

yennee76

i ask my gynae tis question too. he told my 1-2 cups per day is okay... will not affect BM.. so have been drinking since even though feeding my girl bm

siongnelly

Re: will coffee affect breastmilk?

hi my dear, when we breastfeed our baby, the food we eat or drink is equal to the milk we give to our baby... better be careful...

snowbear

thanks! now i can enjoy my coffeebean ice blended ha!
Drinking 1 cup of coffee per day is fine but the coffee sold at coffee joints contain quite a bit of caffeine and are usually sold in larger cups, so you may want to take note of that. Drinking 3-in-1 is perfectly fine though. Have been taking coffee and tea while bfding DD. :)

oblong

Drinking 1 cup of coffee per day is fine but the coffee sold at coffee joints contain quite a bit of caffeine and are usually sold in larger cups, so you may want to take note of that. Drinking 3-in-1 is perfectly fine though. Have been taking coffee and tea while bfding DD. :)
cool. i'm gonna go back to 1 cuppa a day ;)

will also load more milk and calcium intake into my diet.

Osteoporosis and Nutrition: The Role of Calcium and Other Nutrients

Caffeine
The amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee can reduce calcium absorption by a few milligrams, but that loss can be easily offset by adding a tablespoon or two of milk. Much of the apparently harmful effect of caffeine appears to be due not to the caffeine itself, but to the fact that caffeine-containing beverages are often substituted for milk in the diet.

SharonTan

I also thought tat no problem, but once i had abit of Chocolate ice blended, with coffee inside as well, the whole night my NB won sleep... keep making noise whenever i put him down... I dunno is it coincident, but i dun dare to drink anymore stuff with caffeine in it anymore...

missblue18

oops! tat powerful?hmm...coincidentally my bb also has been fussy lately after i drank the coffee...ok i'll monitor n see how...

snowbear

I also thought tat no problem, but once i had abit of Chocolate ice blended, with coffee inside as well, the whole night my NB won sleep... keep making noise whenever i put him down... I dunno is it coincident, but i dun dare to drink anymore stuff with caffeine in it anymore...
As mentioned in my previous post, coffee at coffee joints such as Coffee Bean and Starbucks have higher caffeine level than normal coffee. It will hence have a stronger effect on a NB. It'd prob not affect bb so much when he's older. You may wanna share the cup with hubby next time or just drink 3-in-1 when you feel like having a coffee.

joeichen

I think it depend in individual oso. I had coffee during preganacy n when my boy came out he sleeps very little, n nw even sometime we gave him abit of coffee it seem no pro to him.

SharonTan

As mentioned in my previous post, coffee at coffee joints such as Coffee Bean and Starbucks have higher caffeine level than normal coffee. It will hence have a stronger effect on a NB. It'd prob not affect bb so much when he's older. You may wanna share the cup with hubby next time or just drink 3-in-1 when you feel like having a coffee.
Hi snowbear...

I was sharing with my hubby wor.. was not drinking the whole cup alone... :)

snowbear

Hi snowbear...

I was sharing with my hubby wor.. was not drinking the whole cup alone... :)
haha... then looks like you can only have 1/4 cup then! :tlaugh:My bb when she was younger also was more affected by the caffeine but after awhile she's totally fine.