will hving block ducts decrease milk supply?

woofy55

qns as above...

i had blocked ducts few days ago and i can't clear it thru pump and louis cried when he can't get the milk out and then refuse to suckle even the other breast. Went to see doc to bring down the inflammation and was advice to "torture" my breast and use hand expression and squeeeeeeze the milk out. I did and finally cleared the blocked ducts. Phew~

But to my horror.. i noticed I am only able to express ard 20ml whereas I used to be able to express ard 80-100ml for that breast. My supply is already very low... now with 1 of the breast "on strike"... even worse.

Why?

allycat

I think it went into "sleeping mode" cos the body thought that u wanted it to stop production since the breast is not emptied. You'll have to rebuild the supply by sucking and sucking and sucking. 加油!!

camom

Yes, in a way. If the blocked duct is not cleared, you are unable to drain the breast fully and the body might be tricked into decreasing the ms since bb does not need so much. If FM is used as a supplement, then the problem can worsen cos bb will not latch on so much.

Actually, if you have a choice, I feel that bb's suckling is the best way to clear blocked ducts and mastitis.

Having said this, it's also normal for milk production to decrease in the recovery stage. With persistent lactation, the supply should go back to normal. All the best!