will our breasts ever be empty of milk?

germac

Dear mummies,

I hv a burning but oh-so-stoopid question to ask..
will our boobies ever be empty of milk?

I latch my three mth old baby as well as pump every 5-6hrly, so that i can freeze my breastmilk for her when i return work in dec. But because i had yet to establish any feeding schedule for her, sometimes my pump timings may clash with her feeding times. For instance, she has not been fed yet cos still sleeping, but my boobies r already full of milk.
hence, i do not know if i should pump, or wait further in case she wakes up crying for milk.

Sometimes i try to wake her up to feed, so that i could pump but she refuses to latch and continues to sleep.
so i will just pump. And ever so aptly, she wakes up crying for milk just after i finish pumping.

What i wanna ask is, despite after pumping and latching with super soft breasts, does she still gets milk?
when i squeeze my nipples, no milk is coming out, though i know a baby suckle is much stronger.

Any mummies out there have this issue too?

I know i can express after every feed, so as to avoid this problem, but becos i feed on demand, so i can feed my girl anytime between one n a half hrs to four or five hours. Then there is the night time where she sleeps from between four to six hours through. So its hard for me to grasp when she will wake up for milk.

I tried googling how long does it take for the breasts to produce milk again after they hv been "emptied" by oumping, and i do know that milk production is always ongoing, but am just concerned if she is getting any milk fr my breasts after i had pumped them.

Any relevant advice is much appreciated! TIA! =)

Alisa

is yr baby cant suck any milk out, she will cry. i ever bf my son right after i pump too, he still drink till he sleep.

germac

Hi alisa,

Thanks for replying!
may i ask if it takes longer for ur son to be "full" then, should u latch him after u just pumped?

Thanks felicity for the link! I hv been thinking abt this issue lately too! Wan to start pumping to intro bott to baby.

Anyonw knows when is gd time to intro bott? I read ard 6 weeks so tat no nipple confusion n no rejection of bott

germac

Wow felicity! Awesome info! Much thanks! Many kissesssssss... :)

Hi rachelle, i was told by the nurse manager in the ward that i should only intro bottle aft three weeks to prevent nipple confusion.
So i reckon u r quite safe to do so at 6 weeks! That being said n with all due respect, i think all babies r different n may react differently. I, for one, am havin troubles myself now re-introducing the bottle to my girl at three mths old. :(

Alisa

Hi alisa,

Thanks for replying!
may i ask if it takes longer for ur son to be "full" then, should u latch him after u just pumped?
he drink between 15-30 mins, depends on his mood and he was feeding hrly... so i got a hard time to know when he wan to drink and i need to pump out cuz engorged. like u, only after i finish pumping, he cried for milk...

germac

Well, i guess we can conclude that we can latch immediately after pumping without fear that the baby is not getting much milk!
Though i stil feel latching with a fuller breast is more "productive" than doing so with soft boobies, psychologically. Lol...
thanks very much mummies! :)

lsy

IMO If u latch with soft breast baby will still be contented as suckling alone comforts their hunger pang. The next thing u know ( if ur BB is no longer newborn) they will wake up more frequently for feed. From the fullness of my breast and my pump output sometimes I could tell baby only had bout 20-30ml in that soft breast feed aka 1 letdown.

Baby regulate their milk intake over 24 hrs and not by just 1 session. So if once a day overlap with feeding ok la but not each feed session u go and empty for the sake of increasing supply :p then if I'm baby I will throw tantrum d.

diza

Sometimes after pumping, my boy suddenly wants to feed.. By then my breast a bit soft.. I still let him latch.. And he still cont to suckle till he fall asleep. I introduced bottle to baby at week 2. Feed using bottle twice a day only. He did not have nipple confusion.

Alisa

I think u can if u are comfortable. I will not cuz I cradle my baby while latching so no hand to hold the pump.