Will the milk supply increase if I am pumping exclusively?

jgongzu

Hi,

I am unable to latch my baby after numerous attempts for the past weeks. My baby is coming to 1 month in a few days time. I know some frens who are BF exclusively (with latching) & frens who give formula milk to their babies. I do not know anyone who BF their babies exclusively on EBM. Therefore I need some advices from you all.

1) Will the milk supply increase enough to meet my baby's needs? I know the best way is to latch him on but really tried all sort of methods but not successful. i heard that expressing will never meet the baby's needs. It is true?
2) Anyone out there successfully BF you baby w/o latching on the baby and for how long?

My baby can drink 120ml-150ml every feed (every 3 hourly) since 3rd week onwards. I am currently supplementing with formula for the night feeds and I am pumping every 3 hourly the whole day. My supply seem to be quite stagnant, 90-110ml from both breasts. Given this rate, I can never meet his demand.

3) So if i try to pump during a shorter interval eg. 2 hourly, will it helps? But as i will be taking care of my baby myself after confinement, if i am unable to pump during shorter interval later, will the supply drop back again?

Hai, feel like giving up soon as the time spent on pumping cant meet up with his increasing demand.

babysparkz

harlow mummy!
jus to share with u...
my reply in blue

I am unable to latch my baby after numerous attempts for the past weeks. My baby is coming to 1 month in a few days time. I know some friends who are BF exclusively (with latching) & friends who give formula milk to their babies. I do not know anyone who BF their babies exclusively on EBM. Therefore I need some advices from you all.

1) Will the milk supply increase enough to meet my baby's needs? I know the best way is to latch him on but really tried all sort of methods but not successful. i heard that expressing will never meet the baby's needs. It is true?
2) Anyone out there successfully BF you baby w/o latching on the baby and for how long?

my babygirl latche don successfully but then her sucking was too strong til it actually bleed my nipples..too painful..so i decide to pump and yes for de first 2 weeks the milk was really a lot i pump like every hr..can up to 210ml both breast..but it started decreasing on de third week no matter how much i pump it jus decrease...and so i add in FM for her..in de end my breast was sorta "Dry" by her 1 mth...i was soo soo sad..but den again the other mummes said fenugreek and domperidon actually helped in more milk production i din get to try..cos by de time i knew it was too late~

My baby can drink 120ml-150ml every feed (every 3 hourly) since 3rd week onwards. I am currently supplementing with formula for the night feeds and I am pumping every 3 hourly the whole day. My supply seem to be quite stagnant, 90-110ml from both breasts. Given this rate, I can never meet his demand.

3) So if i try to pump during a shorter interval eg. 2 hourly, will it helps? But as i will be taking care of my baby myself after confinement, if i am unable to pump during shorter interval later, will the supply drop back again?

my PD say is totally fine when my baby starts to drink like 120ml at her 2 weeks and as and when she wan she jus drink its a good thing! but as i said my milk started to fall on third week and it din pick up no matter how much or hard i pump..it can go as lil as only 20 mls.. =( i dunno will it pick up with the help of de medications..but u can try taking them...so now my babygirl at her 1 mth 5 days is on total FM~

HOPE THIS HELP!

tika

Hi,

I am unable to latch my baby after numerous attempts for the past weeks. My baby is coming to 1 month in a few days time. I know some friends who are BF exclusively (with latching) & friends who give formula milk to their babies. I do not know anyone who BF their babies exclusively on EBM. Therefore I need some advices from you all.

UNTRUE. i was exclusively pumping for my first dotter for 1 year. Yes your supply WILL increase, as long as you keep pumping often and you drink PLENTY water. You can always supplement baby with fm till your breast milk supply stablizes. It took me 1 month to get a stable supply of ebm.

I bought a madela dual mini electric and it served me well. 1 year for 1st dotter. Now for second dotter who is a month old. But i am stopping cos cannot cope taking care of a toddler and a baby and pumping every 3 hours.

Based on my own experience, drink 1.5 litre of water everyday. For my second baby, I get 500ml every time i pump for 35 minutes total. And massage your breasts during your pumps to encourage more milk flow. Do you pump at nights?

The shorter the interval you pump, the more likely your supply will increase. This is also only if you drink PLENTY of water. No point pumping every 1 hour if your body lacks water, won't work. Usually you will notice increase/decrease in supply only after a day or two. For me, my supply dropped if i delay 2 pumps subsequently.

Hai, feel like giving up soon as the time spent on pumping cant meet up with his increasing demand.

dont't give up my dear... :) its tough and very time consuming but every drop of your ebm is worth it.

Last edited:

jgongzu

Hi Babysparkz,

So far my milk supply is kind of stagnant. Any idea y ur supply suddenly drop so drastically? Yup, I am starting to take fenugreek and hopefully it helps.

Hi Tika,

500ml is a lot in 1 mth time! I have been pumping regularly every 3 hourly day and night w/o fail for close to 1 mth yet get so little milk. Although occasionally will overslept and miss it by 1 to max 2 hours. I have been drinking quite a lot, currently on red dates water, milo, milk and soup everyday and sometimes warm plain water. I am using Medela Freestyle. The suction is quite good i think ( v good reviews from other mums too).

I will try to pump during the shorter interval as often as I can but do not think i am able to do it so consistently. Hopefully this way wont caused unstable supply. Up to now, my breasts are full and kind of pain whenever i wake up. My frens told me that tis is due to the supply haven't stabilise.

My mum keeps saying that different ppl will have different supply. Maybe I belong to the lower supply group. But I am really glad to know that there are mummies around like you who exclusively pumping for 1 year.

yuiiko

My reply in purple:

Expressing will not be alot, but if he/she latch on correctly your body will send the signal to your brain to produce more milk. Did you get help from your Lactation consultants? since you said that you tried all methods but not successful? could it be because you did not latch him/her properly?

I think like what other SGmummies had said you should drink more fluid, from my experience i am drinking Organic's mother milk tea it gives me more milk ...
i have breastfeed my baby for coming to 4 month now.

Goldiemum

Hi,

I am not able to latch my boy too cos he is too impatient and easily frustrated so I am on total express milk for him.

I have heard of many whom are expressing totally. I believe EBM will still meet baby's needs as long as you try to empty your breasts as much as possible to get the hind milk.

I have been expressing for him since birth and he is coming to 4 months.

In the first 1-2months I was also worried that I cannot meet his demands so I was very dilligent and pump every 2 hourly even during the nights 3 hourly. I eat as normal and drink milo and milk everyday. I believe a lot voice down to determination. I refuse to accept that my baby is not taking my milk so I persisted. I managed to catch up with him without any FM supplement. I can even store enough for him for 4 days while I went for a short holiday to HK with my hubby. :wong29:

Now I pump every 4 - 6 hourly and get average 250ml each time. Still continuing even now back to work. I can still stock up and give my boy his feeds daily. So dont't give up. dont't be too stress for not getting enough for him. The milk will come as long as you pump regularly. Eat well and hydrate. Keep your baby nearby when you are pumping it helps. As you will be taking care of the baby after your confinement, plan such that you pump before or after his feeding time so that your timing can still be consistent.

tika

hi jgongzu,

your mom is right in saying that. my massage lady said she helped alot of mothers bf their babies, sometimes the mothers really super low supply of milk. My LC said plain water is better than drinking other drinks like red dates cos plain water is 100% liquid. :)

snowbear

My reply's in blue.

1) Will the milk supply increase enough to meet my baby's needs? I know the best way is to latch him on but really tried all sort of methods but not successful. i heard that expressing will never meet the baby's needs. It is true? 2) Anyone out there successfully BF you baby w/o latching on the baby and for how long?
Not true at all! I also pumped exclusively for my bb in the first month when my bb didn't know how to latch and I kept seeing my supply increase! :) My sil also pumped exclusively for 6mths so it's not true that you can't meet your bb's needs via expressing milk.

Pumping more frequently will increase supply. Like what tika said, drink plenty of water! :) Dun worry about pumping while having to look after bb. I had to look after bb on my own since i came back from hospital coz my hubby had to work and my mil who was cooking confinement food for me didn't know how to handle bb. Just pump when bb's asleep or pump while bb's beside you (you can sing to bb etc. while you pump). Dun give up! :)

jgongzu

My reply in purple:

Expressing will not be alot, but if he/she latch on correctly your body will send the signal to your brain to produce more milk. Did you get help from your Lactation consultants? since you said that you tried all methods but not successful? could it be because you did not latch him/her properly?

I think like what other SGmummies had said you should drink more fluid, from my experience i am drinking Organic's mother milk tea it gives me more milk ...
i have breastfeed my baby for coming to 4 month now.
Hi Yuiiko,

Thanks for the advice. I will try the Organic's mother milk tea.

I did get help from LCs during my stay in hospital and my baby was able to latch but my milk have not came in at that time. So when I reached home, my mum who was helping me with my confinement bottlefeed my boy. Since then, my boy refuses to latch.