y my baby suddenly latch a very short while or refuse to latch - no bottles intro yet

decoco

hi mummies,

wondering if you've experienced somedays that baby just latch on for a short while and when offer her to latch again later, she dont want.

Dont know what she wants at all. I dont believe she's finish her meal in 10mins.. she's 3months old now, and putting on weight well. But i still get worried that she's not drinking enough, so i keep offering her more breast in the next hour and next hour. kept trying. she will suck a while then stop. And then i got worried about my supply cos I feel like my breast not full. Wonder where's all the milk gone to. Especially during the day, seems to be producing very little.

It's so frustrating. When I hope she can drink more, and help to maintain supply but she refuse. Then i feel my supply drop immediately. what should i do? is she drinking at all, I dont believe in that 10mins can meet her needs.

Fiona73

Re: y my baby suddenly latch a very short while or refuse to latch - no bottles intro

My gal only use abt 10mins each feed and can last abt 2-3 hrs when shevwas 3mth old. Now she is 6mo, she use even lesser time. Till now she is not introduce to bottle. Like you I kept thinking I got low supply, but in actual fact, is all becos we keep feeding hourly, our milk does not have enough time to show u that they r full. Dun stress yrself, if yr gal is growing well, that is the amount she need. Unless you want excess then u need to pump after each feed to build the excess.

decoco

Re: y my baby suddenly latch a very short while or refuse to latch - no bottles intro

Hi fiona73,
Thanks for the affirmation. I kept feeling my breast and keep thinking why like no milk.. Then i panic.

Can a 3 month old finish her needs in 10mins? Sometimes she can stay on for 20mins.. But other days she will not want to suckle anymore. And on these days she tends to wake up in the middle of the night for a feed. If she is hungrier in the day she will be able to sleep longer.. Thats why i so hope she can drink longer on my breast..

Fiona73

Yes possible, it doesn't matter how long as long she is full. Yes, for the days when my gal drink only just nice but very full, she tend catch up her additional calories at night. They call it custer feed. Since they got even got name for this behavior, then shld be quite a norm ba.

maichiang

hi mummies,

wondering if you've experienced somedays that baby just latch on for a short while and when offer her to latch again later, she dont want.

Dont know what she wants at all. I dont believe she's finish her meal in 10mins.. she's 3months old now, and putting on weight well. But i still get worried that she's not drinking enough, so i keep offering her more breast in the next hour and next hour. kept trying. she will suck a while then stop. And then i got worried about my supply cos I feel like my breast not full. Wonder where's all the milk gone to. Especially during the day, seems to be producing very little.

It's so frustrating. When I hope she can drink more, and help to maintain supply but she refuse. Then i feel my supply drop immediately. what should i do? is she drinking at all, I dont believe in that 10mins can meet her needs.
that is exactly how i feel..i will press my breast and when its soft, i feel insecure about mi ability to produce enough milk for mi son..but its soft cz he suckle too much..and when its hard n firm,i feel so proud n secure..does soft breast means little milk then?..

ohh and at night he doesnt suckle much..so i express once at night,in fear that mi supply will drop

Edwinie

at the first few months, my breast consistently pump out 180-250ml each time. and my breast leak a lot and gets very hard when it is close to pumping.

right now, i still manage to pump the same volume. but my breast do not leak and it is not as hard (or uncomfortable) as before.

so i guess soft breast doesn't mean no milk.

when baby gets older, they can suck faster and milk will flow out of the breast faster. maybe that can explain the shorter feeding time.

cmeilim

my three week old is super efficient even for his age. he finishes nursing in 10min, and he is usually so full that he will regurgitate out some of the BM. He's pooing and peeing a lot daily, and gaining weight super-fast. my toddler can finish emptying one breast in five minutes.

whether your breasts feel soft or hard is not an accurate indication of your BM supply. for breastfeeding, don't focus on the input (ie your milk supply, or how much milk she is taking in), but ont the output - number of wet and soiled diapers daily, baby's growth and development, weight gain, activity level, etc.