As an expectant mum, you must have heard things about pregnancy massage. it can give you and the baby in your womb a lot of benefits that you can reap during or after your pregnancy.
Pregnancy massage provides relaxation by relieving stress on joints. It eases neck and back pain, helps you to keep good posture and relaxes and provides flexibility to birthing muscles.Pregnancy massage aids the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which keeps blood flowing to both the mother and the baby. It stimulates different glands in the body, which help to stabilize hormone levels, and relieves nervous tension throughout the body. And the nurturing touch during pregnancy massage promotes relaxation and provides emotional support. Massage is also good after giving birth as it helps restore a mother’s body to its pre-pregnancy condition. It also helps to realign the body weight, and tones the over-stretched skin over the belly.
But before you call the ever- reliable masseuse or massage therapist, here are ten things you need to know about pregnancy massage:
1. Although massage is a generally harmless treatment, there are some massage therapists who are cautious about giving massages during the critical first trimester when you are experiencing nausea, vomiting, or morning sickness.
2. You also need to avoid massage in an area where you have a blood clot or a bone fracture.
3. You’d also want to avoid massage on any area where you have a skin injury or condition that could be aggravated by rubbing, including burns, open wounds, skin infections, or eczema. Be also wary that some people may have allergic reactions to oils used by massage therapists.
4. If you’re at high risk of miscarriage or you have a high-risk pregnancy such as placental abruption (where the placenta slightly detaches from the wall of the uterus) or preterm labor, please refrain from asking for a pregnancy massage.
5. If you are experiencing severe swelling, high blood pressure, or sudden, severe headaches, it is best to speak with a health care provider prior to receiving a massage.
Now, if your doctor advises you to get a massage and, you can afford, then nothing should be stopping you from indulging because after all, there are great benefits massage can give you! Here in Singapore, here are some of the spas that provide pregnancy massages:
1.Beauty.Mums.BabiesAddress: #05-02 Paragon, 290 Orchard Road
Opening hours: Daily 10am–8pm
2. Spa Botanica
Address: The Sentosa Resort, 2 Bukit Manis Road
Opening hours: Daily 10am–10pm
3. Babies Bellies
Address: #01-55 United Square, 110 Thomson Road
Opening hours: Mon–Sat 10am–8pm; Sun 10am–5pm
Address: 263 South Bridge Road
Opening hours: Mon–Fri 11am–9pm; Sat–Sun and public holidays 10.30am–6.30pm
5. Jamu Massage Singapore
Does home service!
Address: 167 Woodland Street 11
Tel: 6632 7796
Sources for the article:
Massage And Pregnancy – Prenatal Massage
Prenatal massage: Help for your pregnancy aches and pains
Image courtesy: hin255 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net