What were you working as before you became a SAHM and do you miss working?

snowbear

Hi mommies, I often get asked if i miss working so just thought I'd ask other SAHMs the same question!

So what were you working as before you became a SAHM and do you miss working? :)

lisa_ng

was working as an IT sales in superstore.

i do miss working there.
but i doubt i will consider going back now since i have my girl, long working hours definately a no no for me. :001_302:

sugarcookie

I was doing branding and communications and YES, I miss working. In fact, I miss it very much. Even though I love my baby girl with all my heart, I can't help but miss working life.

And to be honest, I hate the title of "housewife" when I fill up forms (sounds harsh but it's true).

snowbear

I was doing branding and communications and YES, I miss working. In fact, I miss it very much. Even though I love my baby girl with all my heart, I can't help but miss working life.

And to be honest, I hate the title of "housewife" when I fill up forms (sounds harsh but it's true).
haha.. most forms today call us "homemaker" not "housewife" la... Somehow i think the former sounds better than the latter... :Dancing_tongue:

CDL

Sugarcookie - try using "homemaker" instead. I think it feels & sounds better. I miss the flexibility, earning capacity, independence, confidence I had while I was working. I also love spending time with my baby and am looking for ways that I can reclaim a little of what I miss.

Domique

Same Same. I do marketing and branding.

Same feelings and thoughts as u!

Lotus

I was a retail leasing manager. That was almost 5 years ago and I really miss working, the interaction, the challenging work, the excitement of meeting deadlines, the money. But I don't miss the travel and the long hours.

I sometimes get upset with my husband as although I willingly gave up work, I miss it and feel like I've sacrificed my degree and career, which I spent many years working to get into senior management. But then I also flip to the other side and am thankful that I have this opportunity to stay at home with our children because we both worked so hard.

I just wish it was easier for mothers to have a bit of both work and homelife - or is that very selfish and idealistic of me?

sugarcookie

I sometimes get upset with my husband as although I willingly gave up work, I miss it and feel like I've sacrificed my degree and career, which I spent many years working to get into senior management. But then I also flip to the other side and am thankful that I have this opportunity to stay at home with our children because we both worked so hard.

I just wish it was easier for mothers to have a bit of both work and homelife - or is that very selfish and idealistic of me?
Like you, I willingly gave up work but I can't help feeling resentful towards my husband sometimes even though it isn't his fault. I'm 27 this year and I stopped working at 25 when I got married; I only worked a few years after graduation.

Similarly, I feel like I sacrificed my degree and a potentially wonderful career. Can't help feeling envious of my friends who are working and financially independent.

Sometimes, I really regret the fact that I stopped work.

As for having a career + family, I think it's very tough. Ultimately, you have to prioritise and pick the one which is more important to you.

sugarcookie

Oh, and one thing about NOT working - the number of people you know decreases dramatically. After all, the opportunities for networking are a lot less. Do you SAHMs think so too?

And when people ask me "So what do you do?" and I say I'm a SAHM, somehow they seem to lose interest in me.

Do you SAHMs experience this?

Domique

Yes! Sometimes without the networking and contacts, i feel worthless like tat.

Oh, and one thing about NOT working - the number of people you know decreases dramatically. After all, the opportunities for networking are a lot less. Do you SAHMs think so too?

And when people ask me "So what do you do?" and I say I'm a SAHM, somehow they seem to lose interest in me.

snowbear

No. On the contrary, i think many think that SAHMs are noble and willing to sacrifice their career to look after their little ones. They may not know how difficult it is to take care of children but at least what's clear to them is the sacrifice we have made.

I find that it is common for SAHMs to have low self-worth. However, when i compare my worklife to looking after my dd, i feel that looking after my dd is more fulfilling. There are challenges in looking after your child, and some of these challenges are even harder than those you face at work if you really sit down and think about it. The deadlines and the adrenaline you have and experience at work may be missing at home but you have the smile and cute little chuckles of your little one (of coz there's crying too). So SAHMs, let's not fret over what we've lost at work by becoming SAHMs. Instead, we should be happy that we have a chance to watch our little ones grow. When people tell me that i've wasted my degree and scholarship, i'd always tell them that it'd be a greater waste to not be able to watch my daughter grow up. I can go back to work any time (though probably never climb as high), but once my daughter has grown up, i can never turn back the clock. :Dancing_wub:

Domique

after reading what u posted made me feel better as a SAHM. At least for now... thanks snowbear.

No. On the contrary, i think many think that SAHMs are noble and willing to sacrifice their career to look after their little ones. They may not know how difficult it is to take care of children but at least what's clear to them is the sacrifice we have made.

I find that it is common for SAHMs to have low self-worth. However, when i compare my worklife to looking after my dd, i feel that looking after my dd is more fulfilling. There are challenges in looking after your child, and some of these challenges are even harder than those you face at work if you really sit down and think about it. The deadlines and the adrenaline you have and experience at work may be missing at home but you have the smile and cute little chuckles of your little one (of coz there's crying too). So SAHMs, let's not fret over what we've lost at work by becoming SAHMs. Instead, we should be happy that we have a chance to watch our little ones grow. When people tell me that i've wasted my degree and scholarship, i'd always tell them that it'd be a greater waste to not be able to watch my daughter grow up. I can go back to work any time (though probably never climb as high), but once my daughter has grown up, i can never turn back the clock. :Dancing_wub:

snowbear

after reading what u posted made me feel better as a SAHM. At least for now... thanks snowbear.
No prob. :) I feel low in spirits now and then too but in general, being the first to see my dd reach every milestone, hugging her and watching her go about on her own exploring the house make me feel that my sacrifice was well worth it. I'm sure you feel that way too.

yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice one!!
feel better...although i miss my cpf...

serenelm

i used to work as HR/Training staff... i dun really miss working but i miss my financial independence when i cld buy anything i fancied w/o having to tink n tink n tink b4 i buy :p

as for having lesser frens, i tink it's true to a certain extent, esp when ur kids are still young... somehow ex-colleagues/frens will sooner or later stop asking u out for gatherings when u've rejected them a few times (due to unable to find babysitters)... sigh...