Watching TV

SunShine07

Hi all,

Is it ok for 18mth old boy to watch tv like those cartoons or educational cartoon CD?

Hear from a friend that if they watch too much will cause hyperactive, and they won't be able to concentrate or sit still???

I let my son watch like 1 hour everyday, is it too much?

apollo

i think can la.. if not they very bored de leh.. lol.. as long as the show does not contain violence and those adults muacks muacks can liao.. hehe:tlaugh:

lisa_ng

Hi all,

Is it ok for 18mth old boy to watch tv like those cartoons or educational cartoon CD?

Hear from a friend that if they watch too much will cause hyperactive, and they won't be able to concentrate or sit still???

i'm not sure if it's good but my tv is on whole day de.
somehow she become autopilot.
once she she wake will want to switch on tv and she got the habit like me, tv must be on till fallen asleep.

i'm more worried for myopia in fact.

true enough my girl pick up words and sing songs from her barney shows.

SunShine07

i'm not sure if it's good but my tv is on whole day de.
somehow she become autopilot.
once she she wake will want to switch on tv and she got the habit like me, tv must be on till fallen asleep.

i'm more worried for myopia in fact.

true enough my girl pick up words and sing songs from her barney shows.
same same! me also got habit on the tv whold till sleep. I don't like to feeling of quietness....even though not watching must on also...:p

hmmm, but compare to books to TV, which they would want more? Will they reject book in future?

lisa_ng

same same! me also got habit on the tv whold till sleep. I don't like to feeling of quietness....even though not watching must on also...:p

hmmm, but compare to books to TV, which they would want more? Will they reject book in future?
^5 i dun like quiet and darkness too. :001_302:
my hb often say i'm one funny person. need to have tv on then set timer to off itself after i've fallen asleep. hehe

actually i didn't manage to train my girl to sit still for some moment so that i can read a book to her.
she will snatch the book away and flip throught the pictures that's all.
sometime she will ask me to sit then pass me a book to read for myself not for her, while she hold a book herself to flip through.

i think they prefer to watch tv ba, moving images, songs and dance.
but har i thinking to bring her to library to stay quiet and read when she's more ready.

SunShine07

^5 i dun like quiet and darkness too. :001_302:
my hb often say i'm one funny person. need to have tv on then set timer to off itself after i've fallen asleep. hehe

actually i didn't manage to train my girl to sit still for some moment so that i can read a book to her.
she will snatch the book away and flip throught the pictures that's all.
sometime she will ask me to sit then pass me a book to read for myself not for her, while she hold a book herself to flip through.

i think they prefer to watch tv ba, moving images, songs and dance.
but har i thinking to bring her to library to stay quiet and read when she's more ready.
Oh really, my son also like that! same, just wanna see pictures of the book only. He also flip himself fast fast then throw away, tot wan to read him some bedtime stories, but i haven't finished the first sentence he throw the book away liao.

I worry he don like books leh...you know lah, nowadays society is stressful, i see my neice P1 already like so chim manz...

pokemon97

not sure about hyperactive but my boy is born very active but whenever i on his favourite show he will keep quite and watch. And he learn alot of words from the sesame street.

lisa_ng

Oh really, my son also like that! same, just wanna see pictures of the book only. He also flip himself fast fast then throw away, tot wan to read him some bedtime stories, but i haven't finished the first sentence he throw the book away liao.

I worry he don like books leh...you know lah, nowadays society is stressful, i see my neice P1 already like so chim manz...
ya that's what i'm worried about that she might not catch up with other kids when she starts school.
hmm.. mayb you can try flash cards. i used them too.
my girl can recognise and say the name of these flashcard.

i'm starting to buy charts for her to learn. but haven't really go into that yet. hehe

SunShine07

not sure about hyperactive but my boy is born very active but whenever i on his favourite show he will keep quite and watch. And he learn alot of words from the sesame street.
Yah, i think boy are like that, sometimes i on the CD for him becso i am already so exhausted, he will watch and stay still, so that i can go and do my chores....:tlaugh:

SunShine07

ya that's what i'm worried about that she might not catch up with other kids when she starts school.
hmm.. mayb you can try flash cards. i used them too.
my girl can recognise and say the name of these flashcard.

i'm starting to buy charts for her to learn. but haven't really go into that yet. hehe
Got buy flash card, intitially he like but stay for a while, then he starts to run around again:nah:eek:nly those barney or cartoon can make him stay still. Maybe try to get him some more educational ones instead bah

snowbear

Hi all,

I guess 1 hour per day is fine. My 2-year-old niece watches general tv programmes (coz my bro and sil are tv addicts) and educational cartoons too and she can pick up a few words here and there. As for not being able to concentrate or sit still, my niece is like that... but i'm not sure if that's a consequence of watching tv.

snowbear

Got this from babycenter's website...

Should I let my baby watch TV?

Kelly Ross, M.D.
Pediatrician at St. Louis Children's Hospital in Missouri, and mother of tripletsBabies learn by doing and not by passive observation, so extended periods in front of the TV aren't good. Research shows that even having adult shows on in the background distracts babies from learning. There are, however, programs and videos specifically designed for babies. If your child is really fussy or needs some downtime, briefly watching programming designed for him (30 minutes or less per day) is appropriate.
Samantha Maplethorpe, M.D.
Family physician in Issaquah, Washington, and mother of threeThe American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends no TV at all for children under age 2. This is a hard-line stance for a society that has embraced the television. Should you hide your baby's eyes if you watch TV in the evenings? I don't think so. The key is to recognize that the AAP finds that TV isn't an educational medium for young children. TV isn't likely to benefit your baby and may steal time away from hands-on learning.
Leslie Gavin, Ph.D.
Child psychologist in Orlando, Florida, and mother of fourMost organizations of experts such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Psychological Association advocate against placing babies under the age of 1 in front of a television. At this point in their development, learning comes from gross motor activity and interaction with people, neither of which is accomplished through watching television. Using television as a babysitter is tempting. It gives you peace, and babies often will sit and pay attention to it. But it's not a good learning tool for an infant.

SunShine07

Got this from babycenter's website...

Should I let my baby watch TV?

Kelly Ross, M.D.
Pediatrician at St. Louis Children's Hospital in Missouri, and mother of tripletsBabies learn by doing and not by passive observation, so extended periods in front of the TV aren't good. Research shows that even having adult shows on in the background distracts babies from learning. There are, however, programs and videos specifically designed for babies. If your child is really fussy or needs some downtime, briefly watching programming designed for him (30 minutes or less per day) is appropriate.
Samantha Maplethorpe, M.D.
Family physician in Issaquah, Washington, and mother of threeThe American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends no TV at all for children under age 2. This is a hard-line stance for a society that has embraced the television. Should you hide your baby's eyes if you watch TV in the evenings? I don't think so. The key is to recognize that the AAP finds that TV isn't an educational medium for young children. TV isn't likely to benefit your baby and may steal time away from hands-on learning.
Leslie Gavin, Ph.D.
Child psychologist in Orlando, Florida, and mother of fourMost organizations of experts such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Psychological Association advocate against placing babies under the age of 1 in front of a television. At this point in their development, learning comes from gross motor activity and interaction with people, neither of which is accomplished through watching television. Using television as a babysitter is tempting. It gives you peace, and babies often will sit and pay attention to it. But it's not a good learning tool for an infant.
:elvis:Oh no, that's mean what my hb said is true.....I already tried to give him less, but.....sigh very difficult leh, he is so active.....non stop leh....then like wan to stop him from doing so is even more difficult :nah: