Baby cries when in car

cocraze

Hi mummies,
would like to check if anyone had experienced the above with your darling sons/daughters?

In the past two weeks, my girl (now 7 weeks) cries when she is in the car. It appears to be worse when it is nighttime, but she also cries for no reason when it is daytime. She was alright before we started moving off, and stops crying a few seconds after I take her out of the car (even at night). I noticed it doesn't make a difference whether she is in her infant carseat or being carried (in various positions, cradling, upright, front-facing) by me.

If she is sleeping deeply, then no problem whether night or day.

I thought some babies are soothed by the movement in a car? How come mine is reverse?

fioncess

Frm what i know newborn love to be carried tightly... i feel it might be the car seat is too big for her so she will feel insecure... you might wan to out more cushion or cloth to make the car seat jus nice for for like being carried. it might also cos when driving the road are bumpy so will frighten them... i suggest you can make the seat smaller so she'll feel like being carried..
whenever andrea sit in the car seat i will make sure i place my hand on her chest. like whenever go over bumpy road i will hold her even tighter so she wun feel frighten. maybe you can try this.

Phoebii Cheng

Hi

My sister's daughter when she was young oso like ur daughter.....dun know why, my sis say mayb she is scared when at night...

As for day time, not v sure, mayb ur daughter does not like the car ride?

apollo

since young, ds loves car rides! sometimes he will even scream and cry when hubby stop the car for red lights! and kept quiet once the car statrs moving..

cocraze

Frm what i know newborn love to be carried tightly... i feel it might be the car seat is too big for her so she will feel insecure... you might want to out more cushion or cloth to make the car seat just nice for for like being carried. it might also cos when driving the road are bumpy so will frighten them... i suggest you can make the seat smaller so she'll feel like being carried..
whenever andrea sit in the car seat i will make sure i place my hand on her chest. like whenever go over bumpy road i will hold her even tighter so she wun feel frighten. maybe you can try this.
I've tried the putting hand on her chest thing, doesn't help.
However, would continue that and try cushioning the carseat. It IS too big for her now. Thanks for the advise!!

cocraze

Hi

My sister's daughter when she was young also like your daughter.....dont know why, my sis say mayb she is scared when at night...

As for day time, not very sure, mayb your daughter does not like the car ride?
Did your sister experience any improvemen if say, there is some light source in the car? I bought maybe baby scared of dark and need light sourc to re-assure them. If it works, I may figure something oher tha the dim yellow car light...

I even talk to my girl thru'out the journey to re-assure her but she still cry... :(

cui_er

I had very bad personal experience with my son. He's now 6yrs old and ok when travelling in cars. BUT when he was younger, from about 2mths to 2yrs old, travelling with him was a total nightmare. Once on the car, he rarely sleep even when very tired. And he'll scream and scream and cry and cry and struggle and struggle. If drink milk, will vomit out all over. Really stressful. My in-laws stay in malaysia somemore, so was really horrible during the long car journeys. Till now i think of it i still scared. Wishing hard my daughter won't be like that but so far so good. *touches wood*

Think your experience doesn't sound that extreme, at least she's able to sleep soundly. Maybe she's just not used to the movement of the car yet? Or just yang ou? Hope she outgrows it soon! :D

But for anyone who got same experience as me, at least know that the kid will outgrow it eventually. :D

Phoebii Cheng

Did your sister experience any improvemen if say, there is some light source in the car? I bought maybe baby scared of dark and need light sourc to re-assure them. If it works, I may figure something oher tha the dim yellow car light...

I even talk to my girl thru'out the journey to re-assure her but she still cry... :(
Yes, if there is a light in the car or outside, we distract her with it....we tell her light light and she will look, but in certain areas where there is no light she will scream and cry non stop....

My niece oso outgrew this phase till she is abt 3yrs old....

beerbelly

could you girl be experiencing motion-sickness? does she still cry when different ppl drive?

my boy also cries in his carseat after awhile. but i tried singing his favorite song before putting him in the seat, then singing thru the journey, and it works 90% of the time. i also attach those clip-on fans with lights, and he gets distracted by it also.

try singing and talking to her....if she still cries, its very likely motion-sickness. is it possible to try putting her to sleep before a journey?

woofy55

oh.. i actually didn't thought of motion sickness... hmm.. louis also cries when he's in carseat. but 80% he can get settled when we play him Jay Chou or Mayday's song.. (i think he's a rocker next time - haha, maybe cos pregnant that time i didn't listen to symphony, i listen to their songs most of the time) and i also rock the car seat side way and also give him pacifier... and pat him at the same time... =.="' very busy hor??? Now i even add in the "shhh" sound while patting him... =.="'

But if he can settle down like that.. it shouldn't be motion sickness right?

Sometimes, he can just lay there and daze... but only for abt 10mins and he will start crying... haiz.. bring him out in the carseat is nitemare.. and worse, mine is maxicosi carseat, so if go shopping... he's inside sleeping then good... if he awake, he don't like to sit inside liao.. :(

so if you see someone outside with maxicosi and quinny stroller, trying to settle a baby.. it could be me!!! come and say hi... haha.. but hubby and i always want to laugh.. cos whenever we are at shopping mall.. and a stroller passes by... 90% inside seated a bag and mummy/daddy carrying the little one!!!

Last edited:

woofy55

Something i wanna ask you mummies. Do you take your baby out of the seat if he is crying and screaming?? I'll try as much as possible to calm louis down - if small cries i just let him be - but sometimes he cry until uncontrollable. :( my hubby told me car seat is good to have, but if he cry until faint.. then is it worth it. my dad also told me dun let him cry until like that... pick him up, pick him up..

haiz.. but i kept thinking.. when i go back to work on 1 apr.. hubby is going to be the one to bring louis to my IL's plc. If louis is going to scream like that .. how is he going to concentrate driving and who will be there to pick him up? So i told them, it's not that i am hard hearted and love to see him cry - i just wanna train him. NOwadays he is slightly better cos we bought toys for him to look at. But at times, his cries will turn hysterical... :(

So those mummies who had babies that don't like carseat, what do you do??

meiteoh

It could be possible that some of the babies here feel insecure about being in a car. It's a foreign and new environment for them so it can be frightening.

Sometimes Eva will whimper in a car, especially when we stop at the traffic lights AND we're in a friend's car (she's unfamiliar with the car). So the first time she's in that person's car, I'll sit beside her, play with her and give her her favourite toys. Then after a few tries, I'll move to the front and see how she is alone. If she cries, it's back to me sitting next to her. Under no circumstances will I take her out of the car seat coz I want her to understand that do or die, she has to be in it. Taking her out sends the wrong signal to her - that being in there is optional (just like with the stroller or crib).

My mother-in-law used to cover Eva with one of my worn T-shirts when she was younger to help her adjust to a new environment...even in a stroller. Maybe you can try that? Heck, sometimes Eva gets a "smelly" nappy as a blanket and she loves to gum on it, somewhat like a smelly pillow. :p

cocraze

Something i wanna ask you mummies. Do you take your baby out of the seat if he is crying and screaming?? I'll try as much as possible to calm louis down - if small cries i just let him be - but sometimes he cry until uncontrollable. :( my hubby told me car seat is good to have, but if he cry until faint.. then is it worth it. my dad also told me dont let him cry until like that... pick him up, pick him up..

sigh.. but i kept thinking.. when i go back to work on 1 apr.. hubby is going to be the one to bring louis to my IL's plc. If louis is going to scream like that .. how is he going to concentrate driving and who will be there to pick him up? So i told them, it's not that i am hard hearted and love to see him cry - i just wanna train him. NOwadays he is slightly better cos we bought toys for him to look at. But at times, his cries will turn hysterical... :(

So those mummies who had babies that dont't like carseat, what do you do??
For me, I judge when to pick her up from carseat when her cries are loud and nearing hysterical, and depending on how long she's been at it. She has this potential to cry loudly for less than 5 mins until her voice all hoarse. So far, I have no choice but to pick her up if this happens and we are not nearing our destination.

Im also in a dilemma cos I believe in training her to 'behave', and this is done through not picking her up or giving in to her whims. But on the other hand, hear her cry, my heart (and ears) pain pain. I usually defer the decision to hubby(who's driving). And of course, she gets picked up fastest when ILs are with us in car. Sigh...

So far no scenario where driver(hubby) is alone in car with her in carseat, so I can't advise.

Phoebii Cheng

For me, I judge when to pick her up from carseat when her cries are loud and nearing hysterical, and depending on how long she's been at it. She has this potential to cry loudly for less than 5 mins until her voice all hoarse. So far, I have no choice but to pick her up if this happens and we are not nearing our destination.

Im also in a dilemma cos I believe in training her to 'behave', and this is done through not picking her up or giving in to her whims. But on the other hand, hear her cry, my heart (and ears) pain pain. I usually defer the decision to hubby(who's driving). And of course, she gets picked up fastest when ILs are with us in car. Sigh...

So far no scenario where driver(hubby) is alone in car with her in carseat, so I can't advise.
I think when she is young like less than 1yrs old, i would pick up bb if she cry cos' I feel tht training children to behave can start when they r a bit older when they start to fully understand you....

Like now my son 2yrs old, he begins to understand most things and we oso begin to put boundaries to him and we keep on repeating the message till he gets it

Phoebii Cheng

Something i wanna ask you mummies. Do you take your baby out of the seat if he is crying and screaming?? I'll try as much as possible to calm louis down - if small cries i just let him be - but sometimes he cry until uncontrollable. :( my hubby told me car seat is good to have, but if he cry until faint.. then is it worth it. my dad also told me dont let him cry until like that... pick him up, pick him up..

sigh.. but i kept thinking.. when i go back to work on 1 apr.. hubby is going to be the one to bring louis to my IL's plc. If louis is going to scream like that .. how is he going to concentrate driving and who will be there to pick him up? So i told them, it's not that i am hard hearted and love to see him cry - i just wanna train him. NOwadays he is slightly better cos we bought toys for him to look at. But at times, his cries will turn hysterical... :(

So those mummies who had babies that dont't like carseat, what do you do??
Mayb you can distract louis? use those musical toys or on music for him so tht he will be distracted to cry....

stonston

Sometimes when they can't see what's going on around them (cos they are in car seat), they are scared. My boy is like that. When carry him in the car, must carry in a position that he can see what's going on outside.

Especially at night with lower visibility. It can be pretty scary!

camom

I realised that for my kids, they try their luck when I am in the car too. If hubby is the only one sending them, no cries, no whining, no screaming, no tantrums. Just sit quietly in their car seats.

My elder kid was like this as a baby too.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy started refusing to sleep in the carseat after a few months old, so we plan outings around his nap time, going out only when he is freshly awake.

Now he is 12 months old, I get ready a lot of stuff in my diaper bag to let him play with one by one. We also play nursery rhymes throughout and sing.

He fusses immediately when we reach an indoor carpark, so I believe the sudden dimness affects him. I will then switch on the light in the car.

We make frequent car trips between KL and Singapore (4 hours!!!) and it is very challenging to keep him in the carseat throughout. We take a break after 1-2 hours for lunch and continue after that.

I try to keep him in the carseat entertained. If he cries badly, we'd stop at a petrol kiosk to pacify him.

It is the same type of message as sitting in his highchair during meal-times.

woofy55

Today i saw something that might be able to distract louis. We waited for quite a while, but no one was tending the counter!!!! :( You all saw before the "badge" whereby there is red lights that blink round the badge? something like what we saw alot during x'mas seasons whereby some pple wear it on the x'mas cap or their shirt.

If any of u saw that anywhere or u have that but dun want already can pass or sell me, let me know. Cos louis like to look at lights, perhaps that can catch his attention and distract him even better still - make him blur and make him sleep!! haha...

woofy55

oh.. we realised louis don't like nursery songs.. he will be quiet for a while when listening to jay chou or mayday's song. haha.. perhaps that's what we listen in the car when i was pregnant. And now we let him listen to "Ting mama de hua"... haha! hope he will listen to me!!! But that can only distract him for a while though we can play the song again and again - maybe he's bored with that song. haa..