Food Recommended for Pregnant Woman

Dragontail

MIL told me honey is good (I drink everyday even before preggie) but do avoid those that say RAW harvested ones.

felicity

Cousin told me to avoid any types of raw honey or those with "live cultures" etc cos dunno bb can take it or not...

As for Chinese herbs, I didn't ask gynae but when I read up online, most sites will say to avoid certain types of herbs (in fact many types) because no studies have been done on their effects during pregnancy so better to play safe in case got side effects.

Personally I dun take tonic so I nv bother to ask. My mum couldn't afford tonic when she was pregnant but had two of us big, strong n healthy babies. I believe in balanced diet... Try to take more natural stuff than processed stuff like essence of chicken or junk food, which r overloaded with salt or artificial seasoning! Luckily I totally had no cravings for coffee (used to drink few cups everyday) or tidbits like chips throughout my pregnancy so far ^^

Dragontail

I've no cravings for titbits anymore too. Thank goodness.

But I have adverse urge on chilli and more flavourful food. I used to like really bland food and minimal chilli. Now, eating bland stuff makes my MS even worse. But I know I have to be mindful of the spices. Quite a tough choice at times.....

smilem

i also have craving of curry and spicy food.. duno why.. i start to love indian curry, nasi bryani.. n etc..

Ladydirt

My gynae told me that I can eat everything during the first trimester, as I don't have apetite and could possibly lose weight. But he also asked to avoid coffee or tea. I found from website that papaya is not good for pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage. Not sure if it is true.
Should have read this thread earlier :eek:10: ...
Had constipation for 5 days & bought JUST 1 slice of papaya to eat... puked in office... lol
Anyone know can drink chinese herbal soup - shi san tai bao tang? heard its for "Ang Tai" purpose... but don't dare to try as still in 1st trimester...

smilem

HI Ladydirt..

i heard some mummies once pregnant start drinking this, but for me, i can't take it. i drink liao diahorrea. so i skipped this. i start chinese herb when in 2nd trimester..

U can seek advise from chinese physician cum gynae

Should have read this thread earlier :eek:10: ...
Had constipation for 5 days & bought JUST 1 slice of papaya to eat... puked in office... lol
Anyone know can drink chinese herbal soup - shi san tai bao tang? heard its for "Ang Tai" purpose... but don't dare to try as still in 1st trimester...

ordolla

My Tmc dr told me to boil red dates, black dates and mi zhao (I think is fig) with wolf berries to drink. Apparently is natural drink to prevent constipation and to give more blood.

Can we eat pig's liver? Tmc said should eat but I read online tt it not good to take inert of animals...

pocus2000

For my wife, I forbid the following food for her:
- Raw stuff (eg. Sashimi, half boiled eggs, etc)
- Tea, coffee(she ban herself)
- Tonic soups like black chicken, and other herbal stuff of the unknown
- Unknown food, better check with gynae or online before proceed.

Things she ate:
- plain soups, minestrone, peanut/black bean soups
- ribena, honey, milo, horlicks, fresh milk (Marigold or HL)
- cooked meat, salmon, beef (100% well done no reddish part), chicken
- Most form or curry, mee siam, laksa(no hum), bryani
- Most standard chinese food waton mee, fishball mee, chasiew roast rice rice, sweet soup pork rice, kwaychap, carrot cake, teriyaki chicken/salmon rice, phad thai, tom yum...all in moderation
- fast food mac donalds burgers muffins(ask for overcooked eggs), mosburger rice burgers, pizzas. (no subway)

Fruits we keep to the safest varieties:
- Apple, oranges, grapes

smilem

Woa, u reali gd husband.. help her to keep track wat can eat & cant eat..
I heard try not to eat too much peanut :)

Things she ate:
- Most standard chinese food waton mee, fishball mee, chasiew roast rice rice, sweet soup pork rice, kwaychap, carrot cake, teriyaki chicken/salmon rice, phad thai, tom yum...all in moderation
- fast food mac donalds burgers muffins(ask for overcooked eggs), mosburger rice burgers, pizzas. (no subway)

- Apple, oranges, grapes

ping87

Be careful of grapes. Cos grapes has high glucose level. apple and orange is fine.

i heard peanut no good also. cos i read a report saying, baby born with allergies to peanut has something related to mummy taking peanut during pregnancy.

I would encourage ur wife to take mummy's milk instead of fresh milk.

Things she ate:

- Apple, oranges, grapes

rtcy

Hi Ladies,

i have been having bad bloated stomach, gassy, crampy on & off (sometimes short sharp pain on the right side of lower tummy), my bra has been tight since the last week. i had tested on yesterday cd30 & today cb31 but both negative. Can anyone advise me if you ever had these sysptoms and get pregnant in the end?

ping87

Yes, my mum say it's not 'liang' it belongs to 'leng'. am blur now.. :(
cos i was having cough and only honey helps my coughs to get better cos i stop taking anti-biotic after 3 days of dosage.
then other mothers also say it's cooling..

but i have colleagues told them they mix honey and milk to drink cos they can drink just milk itself..

Hi Ping.. is it? i drink honey.. those chinese type of FENG MI (rock type).

Dilys

Hi mummies ,

Eat everything in moderation. You will have a happy baby :)

Its advisable to take herbal soup only after 12 weeks.

soulffle

Does anyone know why it's not safe for pregnant women to take raw food? I'm so super curious! Been staying away from my favourite half-boiled eggs and sashimi. Also very early on in pregnancy so can't be too obvious when I go out and eat with other people haha.