EDD Oct 2013

TVH

Wah littlej, it could happen for u anytime soon!! V exicited for u! :)

Am going for my CTG scan now...hopefully baby can come out few days earlier!

Xiaoxiaowanzi, if u opt for cord blood donation or storing with private cord blood bank, they would not permit delayed clamping if I'm not wrong. I have signed up with scbb to donate my baby's cord blood too.

TVH

Specially woke up early to go CTG scan but was told labour ward has no vacancy and was advised to come back at 2pm. Sigh...extremely disappointed.

marchies

I've also signed up to donate cord blood. Checked with gynae and she said if donate means can't go for delayed cord clamping. It's one or the other. For me I'm going for donation cus while there are many benefits reported for delayed cord clamping, I also read that the excess cord blood to baby could mean higher probability of jaundice cus baby liver may not efficiently process the extra red blood cells. (Erm not so sure on the science of it but something like that). All in all, you can choose and I believe you still can opt out of donation at the pt of birth. Cus they will ask for verbal consent then.

Xiaoxiaowanzi:829589 said:
Hi blackroselian,

I hav signed up w scbb to donate my bb cord blood too. Do u have any idea whether we can still request for delay cord clamping? Hmm.

Thanks!
delay cord clamping u shd write on ur birth plan n pass to ur nurse who will clip it with ur reports file. u shd discuss with ur gynae too. let her know.

delay cord clamp is not part of my plan, though.

shahan

Hi mums,
Just to clear the misconception...if you have already opted to donate your baby's cord blood, you can still opt out of it till the time you go to the labour ward. Coz they will ask for your consent again.
Delayed cord clamping results in healthier blood and iron levels in babies, and this benefit outweighs the risk of developing jaunedice (which is common for most newborns). Just to let you know that breastfeeding is also a cause for jaundice...so i'm sure you're not gonna give up breastfeding coz of that??

And the percentage of your baby's cord blood being used for your baby again is less than 5% (you can check with your nurse coordinator from scbb for that)

Just food for thought
The placenta and baby transfer blood to each other, to make themselves 'smaller' to birth. When baby comes out, approximately a third of his/her blood is in the placenta. This blood is then given back to the baby to make the placenta smaller. Obviously, the umbilical cord must be left for this to occur and it takes approximately less than 5 minutes (or until the cord stops pulsating).

Did you know immediate clamping means your baby misses out on this extra blood & iron?

If there are no complications, don't you think all babies should be entitled to their blood?

i see... however your gynae may not do the delay cord clamping keeping in mind the utmost safety of the baby and mother. this is just personal preference, not a must for gynae to follow.

bottlez

Hi ladies,

i have also decided to donate my baby's cord blood. I have spoken to my gynae, and she actually is glad to hear of my decision, as she find it a pity whenever she has to throw away beautiful cord blood. I also did raised the concern to her about the benefits about delay cutting (that I read online), but my gynae says there is not really a need for it.

As a doctor, she says she will definitely look at the situation during labour, and do what is best for both mummy and baby. She will not sacrifice our health just for banking, and scbb's stand is also the same. Just make sure u have a word with your gynae to clear this and feel comfortable before u make the decision.

littlej

I've popped on 28 sept!!

Too late for me to sign up for cord blood donation - I wanted to sign the forms on Monday but well, my lil' muffin had other plans.

It's one thing I am not proud of - I shouldn't have left it to the last minute.

Jewlreya

Hi ladies, I'm also a Oct 2013 mtb but I signed up really late cos I have no internet connection at work but have been reading up on and off. Currently at my 36 weeks now, very panicky already. Still working at the moment as I run my own business (pet shop) but will be resting from tomorrow onwards. My gynae literally nagged at me.

Jewlreya:830173 said:
Hi ladies, I'm also a Oct 2013 mtb but I signed up really late cos I have no internet connection at work but have been reading up on and off. Currently at my 36 weeks now, very panicky already. Still working at the moment as I run my own business (pet shop) but will be resting from tomorrow onwards. My gynae literally nagged at me.
welcome Jewlreya,
tat sounds gd, u shd rest now, i'm sure ur preg has given u more bodyaches n tiredness..
but most imptly is to really take a gd rest post partum. we all will b totally drained out.:eek:

littlej:830151 said:
I've popped on 28 sept!!

Too late for me to sign up for cord blood donation - I wanted to sign the forms on Monday but well, my lil' muffin had other plans.

It's one thing I am not proud of - I shouldn't have left it to the last minute.
Congratulations on your family addition!! i'm thrilled for you. tk gd rest. hope to hear from you after u have settled dwn in ur confinement :cool:

Jewlreya

welcome Jewlreya,
tat sounds gd, u shd rest now, i'm sure ur preg has given u more bodyaches n tiredness..
but most imptly is to really take a gd rest post partum. we all will b totally drained out.:eek:
Yes, I'm suffering from severe backaches and having trouble falling asleep. Initially I had low placenta problem until at wk35 my gynae checked and it actually shifted up so now I can opt for natural birth again - having a bit of a mixed feeling now cos my mind was all set for c-section and suddenly I have one more option again, worried about the labor and pushing when whether I can dilate or not.

nrl

Hi all! Been so long since last online and posted here. Went delivery suite yestd. Dilated 1cm. Thinking if i want to be induced next week. Any reviews on this mummies and mummiestobe...

Thanks in adv.

i popped on friday via csect!

happiest feeling in the world. but each time they wheel the baby back to the nursery i feel like crap coz have to deal with my broken body. doc and nurses encourage movement but it hurts! but have to force myself to do it so can recover well so i can take care of my bb.

Good luck all of you!

about induction - i believe its a gamble la coz it might not work and cause even more complications
see what ur doc says.

Meowmummy

shahan is right.
i signed up stem cord, but i m gg to forgo it and pay $100,cos the contract is more than 7days.
instead i gg to delay cord clamping, to let my baby has all his blood. i check with my gynae, he is not so supportive about cord blood and eating the placenta.
but he usual practise is to delay cord clamping. now i m at 36weeks,i still got time, gg to check with tcm about the placenta thingy.

for me i m not scare about eating placenta, for the many years, i hv weak body, eg.body feel cold easily, fall sick easily. i wana improve my health as much as possible, cos my baby is coming, i can't afford to fall sick.

yes, i submitted my birth plan to gynae, and he endorsed it oredi.

Xtinee

Wow we are starting to have a few popping, congrats. Am 36 weeks now, having all the same thing backache, difficulty in sleeping and false contractions. Recently having sharp pain down there, anyone having this? I hope i dont pop too early baby dropped since few weeks ago and i tink shes engaged these few days, can feel her head lower.....

TVH

I'm 37 weeks now and I can feel the baby really low now. My last gynae visit last friday, he told me baby's head is already v low though not engaged yet. Cervix also not yet dilated. These few days, I feel on and off pulling sensations down there and a tinny winny bit of cramps. I am hoping to at least "dong" until 39 weeks before baby decides to come as right now, he's only at 2.74kg which gynae said is slightly on the small side. Hopefully he can gain a bit more weight in the next 2-3 weeks to come.

Xtinee

TVH no worries, I went for my scan last week at 35 weeks, gynae says the same thing about low but not engaged, and he ask me to take pineapple juice if not im sure to overdue!!! But at 36weeks she like moved even lower so....... Can you feel your baby head between your pelvis? Mine is there now, walking hurts