1st time mummy, considering water birth...any thoughts pls?

piggyiling

Hi all! I'm totally new to this forum...but been reading fervently since i starting having abdominal cramps from more than 2 weeks ago...probably when I'd first conceived! Now confirmed I am preggy through blood & urine tests and so my hubby and I are very estatic!

I am gynae-shopping now and am considering trying water birth but am not sure I will be able to tahan the pain w/o epidural...
And after reading various forums I tried making appt with A/Prof Mary Rauff from NUH but apparently she is no longer doing any more deliveries after Jun this year! The only other female gynae who has experience with water births in Singapore is also from NUH...Dr Vanaja Kalaichelvan. Anyone knows her or have heard good/bad things about her? I also welcome any of your thoughts on water births...and would especially appreciate any sharing of experiences!

Thanks lots!

Hi all! I'm totally new to this forum...but been reading fervently since i starting having abdominal cramps from more than 2 weeks ago...probably when I'd first conceived! Now confirmed I am preggy through blood & urine tests and so my hubby and I are very estatic!

I am gynae-shopping now and am considering trying water birth but am not sure I will be able to tahan the pain w/o epidural...
And after reading various forums I tried making appt with A/Prof Mary Rauff from NUH but apparently she is no longer doing any more deliveries after Jun this year! The only other female gynae who has experience with water births in Singapore is also from NUH...Dr Vanaja Kalaichelvan. Anyone knows her or have heard good/bad things about her? I also welcome any of your thoughts on water births...and would especially appreciate any sharing of experiences!

Thanks lots!
Hello piggyiling!

Congrats to you and your husband! Water births are now more common but it's always important to weigh the benefits against any risks. From what I know of, only two hospitals in Singapore offer water births and they are Raffles Hospital and NUH. Do ring them up to ask for more information and maybe you could even ask them about A/Prof Mary Rauff. I'm sure they will be happy to provide more details. Update us mummies with what you find out ok!

piggyiling

Thanks PregnantSg!

yes i did ring NUH and they told me A/Prof Mary Rauff is no longer doing deliveries after Jun this year. I've made the appt to see Dr Vanaja instead next week (as the is the only other female gynae with experience with doing water births) so will update more after that!

hadnt known about raffles hosp before...will check that out and update too if i find out anything! :)

Thanks PregnantSg!

yes i did ring NUH and they told me A/Prof Mary Rauff is no longer doing deliveries after Jun this year. I've made the appt to see Dr Vanaja instead next week (as the is the only other female gynae with experience with doing water births) so will update more after that!

hadnt known about raffles hosp before...will check that out and update too if i find out anything! :)
dear piggyiling, no problem! glad that the info helped! thanks for updating!

Thanks PregnantSg!

Hi Piggyiling, Mt Alvenia and Thompson also offer water birth. I had water birth experience at NUH 3 years ago. Together with HypnoBirthing technique, I was able to birth naturally. NUH would require a Doula to be present if you choose water birth. I am currently working towards my Birth Doula Certification. Would love to guide you through if you are interested. Ring or text me at 98637867.

Natural ChildBirth Odyssey

piggyiling

hello again everyone, as promised, i'm updating after visiting Dr Vanaja for the first time yesterday evening.
1stly, I must say the experience of visiting her in a modern hospital was a lot nicer than visiting another gynae in gleneagles where the clinic facilities were so old and drabby looking!
Dr Vanaja herself was very gentle and open to questions...and she also reassured me that natural birth (ie. finding the most comfortable position) is always welcomed and I can try using water as well, but I want to change my mind anytime, I can, and then I will be allowed to use an epidural if I want to.

I will be visiting another gynae at thomson next week before making up my mind on who to stick to! more updates then! :D

piggyiling

Hi Piggyiling, Mt Alvenia and Thompson also offer water birth. I had water birth experience at NUH 3 years ago. Together with HypnoBirthing technique, I was able to birth naturally. NUH would require a Doula to be present if you choose water birth. I am currently working towards my Birth Doula Certification. Would love to guide you through if you are interested. Ring or text me at 98637867.

Natural ChildBirth Odyssey
thanks XiangXiangMama, i'm not sure i'm too keen on hypnobirthing but thanks for offering your help! your website is quite interesting :)

Meowmummy

Thanks lots!
Hey piggyiling,

i am searching info about water birth too? my edd in oct, when urs? For what i know, if we choose water birth, a doula must be presence.
I gg to check with my gynae, abt his view about water birth. My search So far:
water birth are mostly done at Nuh and Mount Alvernia.
For doula engaging, there these 2 organisation, Parentlink and Four Trimesters.
But i am worried, abt about cost, cos need to engage gynae, doula and hospital fee

Hope we can share with each other more about water Birth!

Hey piggyiling,

i am searching info about water birth too? my edd in oct, when urs? For what i know, if we choose water birth, a doula must be presence.
But i am worried, abt about cost, cos need to engage gynae, doula and hospital fee

Hi Meowmummy
There are 4 hospitals offered water birth facility. There are more than 2 companies offered doula services. Many are independent just like myself. Charges varies depending on who you engage.

piggyiling

Hey piggyiling,

hi Meowmummy, my edd is in end Nov. yes u're right, need to hire doula. and ues as xiangxiangmama has been saying, there are more doula organiations and freelancers...the question is who u think u can trust. methinks the additional cost for water birth is basically $300-600 more for the water tub and about $1000-1500 more for the doula...which at this point is one of the main reasons i'm not keen to do it after all. i'd rather save the extra $1500 thereabouts in case I need to stay an extra night at the hosp or sth.

Hikari

Hi girls.

Just looking around the forum and came across this thread. I am a first time mummy of a 3mth old boy, but abit curious about water birth too cos I've heard about it
=) about how being in water actually relieves the pressure of giving birth and due to gravitational pull, its easier for baby to come out without much effort.
Mount A has this labour method. But I think must top up additional costs for this.

Anws, I just delievered my son in January via natural birth without epidural. An experience I will never ever forget for as long as I live!

Meowmummy

Hi girls.

Just looking around the forum and came across this thread. I am a first time mummy of a 3mth old boy, but abit curious about water birth too cos I've heard about it
=) about how being in water actually relieves the pressure of giving birth and due to gravitational pull, its easier for baby to come out without much effort.
Mount A has this labour method. But I think must top up additional costs for this.

Anws, I just delievered my son in January via natural birth without epidural. An experience I will never ever forget for as long as I live!
Hi Hikari, how long were u in labour?

Hikari

Meowmummy: Hey there. Mine was an induced labour at 38weeks. I had no signs of labour and was just at a routine appointment at KKH. Went for a scan and doctor told me that my amniotic fluid has dropped to a dangerously low level of 0.9, normal being around 6. Which meant I had to deliver my son asap or he'll suffocate in my womb.
From what I remember, my contractions started about 6-7pm, an hour after the pill was inserted to jumpstart the dilation and labour process. I delivered my son at 8 plus in the morning the next day! *groans

Meowmummy

Meowmummy: Hey there. Mine was an induced labour at 38weeks. I had no signs of labour and was just at a routine appointment at Kandang Kerbau Hospital. Went for a scan and doctor told me that my amniotic fluid has dropped to a dangerously low level of 0.9, normal being around 6. Which meant I had to deliver my son asap or he'll suffocate in my womb.
From what I remember, my contractions started about 6-7pm, an hour after the pill was inserted to jumpstart the dilation and labour process. I delivered my son at 8 plus in the morning the next day! *groans
13-14hrs....it is long time man! that is why they say mums are the greatest

alleria06

Wow, Hikari, without epidurial?
I'm a first time mummy, delivered my boy on Jan 2013. I was induced too coz my water broke 1.5wk earlier. I couldn't bear the pain at 3cm dilation, so I asked the nurse to give me epidurial. After that it was so much better and I could go to sleep for the next day' pushing. Yea... you will never forget the experience of birthing! :001_302:

Hikari

Meowmummy: Yea 12-14 hrs is a long time. Even longer when you're lying there in pain waiting for dilation and fighting contractions. The giving birth part isnt that bad. It's the wait leading up to that moment. I was so tired and pained from waiting the whole night that I made my hubby go get me some chicken essence so I'll have the energy to continue. But so so worth it when I saw my boy slide out crying! For me, I had my mind set on not taking epidural cos I heard abt the horrid side effects, depending on individual. Some people experience dizziness, nausea and cold spells. My mum also took epi when she gave birth to me and advised me not to take if I can tahan, as epi has caused her chronic back aches up till today. And I'm already turning 24! Hahah but there are some people who took and suffer no side effects whatsoever. Well if going through labour without epi wasnt bad enough, the surgeon stitched me without giving me general anesthesia first. I could feel every pull of the thread. Almost died-ed then! So yes mummies are the most noble!

alleria06: Hi dear. Yes no epi, au naturale! My son is a Jan baby too! Taking epi doesnt make you less noble though, you too went through so much for your boy! I was very tempted to shout for epi cos I was in so much pain but I forced myself not to. By the time I finally screamed for epi, already too dilated. The midwife look at me and said it was too late and I can only breathe laughing gas and bear with it till the end. Hahaha!

alleria06

hi Hikari, no worries, i'm not offended. i know i will use epi coz my pain tresshold is low, so been advised by coligs & frens to get it early if i want epi & save the agony, coz 1 fren said his wife asked for epi at 7cm & nurse said cannot already.. that is the most painful stage ya?
for subsequent children i will definitely use epi again. i heard oldwive tale abt epi will cause backpain too, i asked my gyn coz i had back soreness after delivery, and he said... "epi will not cause backpain, pregnancy will"... makes sense haha...

raoow

My physiotherapist chose to give birth without epidural though she researched that there isn't any side effects. That's because she has too many clients that had back problems after epidural that made her decide against.

But it's everyone's personal choice. And the anesthetist's skill is very important also.