2 months boy latch on 15 mins only

cyssie

After 2 months of trying, my boy finally wants to latch on and looks for breast all the time. However, each time he only latches on 10 mins - 15 mins top and then either detach himself and fall asleep or cries out loud.... then another hour later he wakes up and looks for breasts again. How can I cope with his pattern like this? it is so tiring this way and i end up holding him all day long sitting on my bed breastfeeding him. I keep worrying that he may not get enough milk from my breast as he has been sucking all day long and my breast seems so soft and empty all the time. So I want to top up fomula for him but he rejects bottle completely.

Any advice or sharing of similar experiences?

CanCanMum

abt the falling asleep while latching on, perhaps u can wake him up to continue feeding...coz he may not have gotten enuf milk and den gets too tired after latching on for too long....total shd take 30-40mins for him to get enuff milk as a guideline. (15-20mins each breast x 2)

Below is an article from
Breastfeeding: Getting started | BabyCenter

i find the articles very useful...i have been following this website since pregnancy till now.
How often you should nurse

Frequently. The more you nurse, the more quickly your mature milk will come in and the more milk you'll produce. Nursing for ten to 15 minutes per breast eight to 12 times every 24 hours is pretty much on target. According to the latest guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), you should nurse your newborn whenever he shows signs of hunger, such as increased alertness or activity, mouthing, or rooting around for your nipple. Crying is a late sign of hunger — in other words, ideally you should start feeding your baby before he starts crying.

During the first few days, you may have to gently wake your baby to begin nursing, and he may fall asleep again in mid-feeding. To make sure your baby's eating often enough, wake him up if it's been four hours since the last time he nursed. Once your baby becomes alert for longer periods, you can settle into a routine of feeding every one to three hours (less at night as he starts to sleep through).

Last edited:

cyssie

i know that i should wake him up to continue suckling...but it is so difficult to wake my boy up during the feed unless it is he himself that wants to wake up. And also burping is a problem for me. As he falls asleep very quickly during BF, it seems like impossible to burp him. One time i tried to burp him for as long as one hour and didn't succeed. He is having reflux problem that's why burping is even more important. Last night I only managed to sleep for 3 hrs and the rest of time was all feeding and feeding and feeding until my mil fed him formula at 2:30 pm this afternoon. Is total BF really the right way for me and my boy? not much confident to continue already.

CanCanMum

ano way is expressed BM ...but does he reject bottle completely?

reflux problem is quite common in newborns (unless urs is quite serious tat requires medication), sometimes i burp him oredi but he still spits out quite a qty of milk...last time my mil said burping shd happen immed after feeding....if too long means no need le...and Breastfed babies do not need so much of burping than bottlefed babies - heard somewhere.

ya having merely 3 hours sleep is too tiring for u in the day to stay awake and BF at the same time....really v v tiring....

if yr bb can accept bottle feeding, try to express it out to feed him.....if too tiring sub with FM at the time being ...and then see how....imp is u as a mother must rest enough to be able to look after him well rather than uptight or stressed becoz of Bfeeding problems.

cyssie

yes it is so true.... i barely have any energy left to play with him or even interact with him... really need to sort out how to do this as soon as possible... now i really agree that BF is not easy at all....

CanCanMum

yeah me neb succeed...tats why i hope to see others succeed...:)

but neb mind la...dun stress yrself up + dun tire yrself until u got so uptight oso not good for u.

slowly work out the best solution for yrself + yr bb.

mskathy

hihi.. my bb is coming to 2 mths old now... i've the same prob as you initially.. she latch on every 1 hr.. to one stage every half an hr.. it applies to the nite that y i really din zzz much.. my nippes hurt so much.. but no worries.. yr bb definity have enuf milk.. cos our body will react to the no of times bb latch.. so important thing is to latch your bb.

Now she still latch on every hr in the day.. just that in the nite it has slightly improved to every 2 or 3 hrs... must jia you and dun give up ok.. cos bm is the best for bb.. it contains lot of antibodies. plus now milk got contamination issue all the more must try... ok..

As for burping.. try to burp her even if she is asleep.. worst come to worse feed her with gripe water.. it will help..

cheers!!!

Hi, my baby is 2 weeks plus old. Have been breastfeeding him so far but recently he keep wanting to latch on. How do I know when the mature milk comes in? and he is getting enough milk from me?

retrobell

BabiesNCream, I do have same problem as you >.<;
I usually latch on for more than an hr, and he still cried =/ in the end I gave him FM instead. Haiz. My bm around 60ml..