6 day old son admitted due to high jaundice level 26

hotmilktea

dear mummies
i bring my son for review just now and the blood test shown the jaundice level is 26, which is 3 times more in 4 days time, when we discharged on sunday, he was only 9.8.
i keep crying till now because i am shocked it shoot up so high, i did sun bath him but no use at all obviously. now they are doing the triple light for him and his PD said prob sunday then can discharge.

i never hear before jaundice level so high, mostly i hear is 13.8, 13 etc...highest 15 is admitted to hospital, my son hv to admit to ICU, but PD said we put normal ward first. i wanted to lodge into single room, but nurse there advise me not too as they want to get rid of the jaundice as fast as they can by feeding formula 60ml every hour and lightbox him around the clock for tonight. tmr morning hopefully can drop.

today is the worst day in my life as a mummy. does anyone have babies or heard of babies with such high level?

quesmama

dear mummies
i bring my son for review just now and the blood test shown the jaundice level is 26, which is 3 times more in 4 days time, when we discharged on sunday, he was only 9.8.
i keep crying till now because i am shocked it shoot up so high, i did sun bath him but no use at all obviously. now they are doing the triple light for him and his pediatrician said prob sunday then can discharge.

i never hear before jaundice level so high, mostly i hear is 13.8, 13 etc...highest 15 is admitted to hospital, my son have to admit to ICU, but pediatrician said we put normal ward first. i wanted to lodge into single room, but nurse there advise me not too as they want to get rid of the jaundice as fast as they can by feeding formula 60ml every hour and lightbox him around the clock for tonight. tomorrow morning hopefully can drop.

today is the worst day in my life as a mummy. does anyone have babies or heard of babies with such high level?

Hi hotmilktea,
My daughter was readmitted to hospital twice in her first week and second week due to high jaundice level. It was rather critical, normal level is below 100 but hers shot up beyond critical level of 300. I cried a lot during those days and feel heart pain for her when i sent her to hospital for phototherapy. Her jaundice level has dropped slowly over the days as her liver developed over time after 1 month.

Please stay strong and don't cry so much, i know it's tough but believe me, jaundice is rather common and baby will slowly heal over time. You are not alone. You may tell nurse you prefer to direct breastfeed him or bring you EBM to hospital when you visit.

Take care!

hi, hotmilk tea,
my girls also.have jaundice at her first week, and she admit twice time to kk. her level is about 260+. the jaundice level will come down after they under light. even now is third week, but her jaundice level still.a little high and have to follow up the check in clinic.
I remember my first son he was under light 3 times and he was stay in kk for his first and second weeks.
so, please don't worry. everything will be fine.
if u eat ginger please don't breastfeeding ur baby. I pump out my breast milk and only give them when the jaundice is under safe level.
pls take care urself.

hotmilktea

Dear all
Thanx for sharing with me ur experiences.
I just come back from hospital, level drop to 17 today.
His skin is all flaking from the extreme light pc that cause the dryness and peel.

Doc say tmr do hearing test. Can anyone tell me what are the chances of jaundice lead to hearing damage?

Dear all
Thanx for sharing with me ur experiences.
I just come back from hospital, level drop to 17 today.
His skin is all flaking from the extreme light pc that cause the dryness and peel.

Doc say tmr do hearing test. Can anyone tell me what are the chances of jaundice lead to hearing damage?
normally hearing was done first two day after baby arrived. after tested, should be indicated in their booklet.
do u ask doctor why have to check hearing test? I don't think my son do the test after he under light.

hotmilktea

Yes, when he born, hearing test was done and he is good.
But doc say wanna do coz she concern whether the high jaundice has affected him now :(

Yes, when he born, hearing test was done and he is good.
But doc say wanna do coz she concern whether the high jaundice has affected him now :(
ic. don't worry so much. cause my son also under 3 light when he wad high level of Janice. he is fine. so ur baby sure not be a problem. I guess the doctor just to play safe to have the test.
mummy, don't worry. u have to take care itself as u at in confinement.

hotmilktea

Dear mummies
Thank you all for the comfort. My baby is finally discharge on Sat morning.
Jaundice went from 26 to 17 to 8.4. And he pass the hearing test also.
His doc advice me to stop BF and use formula until he fully recover.

Dunnoe if it is because I keep traveling to and fro hospital and walk too much. My "menses" flow a
Lot again. And I feel pain around the whole pubic area, but when urine is not painful, so not UTI. Anyone got similar experience?

summertime

no worries.. my bb jaundice level hit bout 21 during the 5th day.. make me so worry... luckily everything is back to normal.. ur bb will b ok.. =D

Dear mummies
Thank you all for the comfort. My baby is finally discharge on Sat morning.
Jaundice went from 26 to 17 to 8.4. And he pass the hearing test also.
His doc advice me to stop BF and use formula until he fully recover.

Dunnoe if it is because I keep traveling to and fro hospital and walk too much. My "menses" flo
Lot again. And I feel pain around the whole pubic area, but when urine is not painful, so not UTI. Anyone got similar experience?
hi, hotmilktea,
I actually not give my baby the breastmilk also. I pump out and keep it as my girl still a slightly jaundice. I cannot don't take ginger, so for safe I give her formula milk as same my elder son. give him when he totally off from jaundice. I don't want take the risk.

hotmilktea

hi pangsn,
does ur baby poo poo? since we discharge on sat morning, he didnt poo till now, but pee a lot.
i hate formula, it cause constipation. how to make him poo? i dont want to fed him water or honey as babies are not suppose to drink any fluid.

i will definitely go back to breast milk after the doc give me the all clear on tuesday review. now i pump every 3 hrs and discard.

hi, hotmilktea,
I actually not give my baby the breastmilk also. I pump out and keep it as my girl still a slightly jaundice. I cannot don't take ginger, so for safe I give her formula milk as same my elder son. give him when he totally off from jaundice. I don't want take the risk.

hi pangsn,
does ur baby poo poo? since we discharge on sat morning, he didnt poo till now, but pee a lot.
i hate formula, it cause constipation. how to make him poo? i dont want to fed him water or honey as babies are not suppose to drink any fluid.

i will definitely go back to breast milk after the doc give me the all clear on tuesday review. now i pump every 3 hrs and discard.
hi hotmilktea,
ya, my baby poo poo. but I think she little constitution, every time she poo poo will crying.
I got no choice, I will only give her breast milk after she totally off from Jaundice.
I don't think I can fully breastfeeding my baby, cause I got little breastmilk only. sometime only able pump 80 or 90 ml for 3 or 4 hours.
how many times n how much u can pump?
thinking how can make my milk getting more?

hotmilktea

How do we knw our babies will be 100% off jaundice? If it is they blood test again,then I wun want to do it.
It pains me when my baby being poke again. For the 3 days he is in hospital, he cried until now his voice is almost damage.

Nurse told me once jaundice is down,'it wun go up again. And the window period 7-10 days will be over tmr.
Although his doc say after tues review then give BM, I already started today. I fed him twice by latching - which is not a lot coz he too used to sucking fast on bottle formula. I will slowly convert back to full BM.

I can pump about 100 ml every 2-3 hrs, which is more than enough coz my boy only drinking maximum 60ml each feed,
Mostly is only 40ml, unless he super hungry or he pee a lot.

Eat fish, it helps. Drink fish and papaya soup also helps. But I don't coz I very scare of fishy smell.
Cook with pork ribs also helps, but fish is best really.

hi hotmilktea,
ya, my baby poo poo. but I think she little constitution, every time she poo poo will crying.
I got no choice, I will only give her breast milk after she totally off from Jaundice.
I don't think I can fully breastfeeding my baby, cause I got little breastmilk only. sometime only able pump 80 or 90 ml for 3 or 4 hours.
how many times n how much u can pump?
thinking how can make my milk getting more?

hotmilktea

thanx much for the encourage. he is still jaundice and hardly able to sunbath due to the weather lately :(
i hope he will clear off soon by pooing and peeing.

To cure jaundice, you need to let baby sun tan on both side of his/her front and back body for 15 min each. NOT DIRECTLY UNDER SUNLIGHT (HEAT UP), try to go for morning sun around 9am the best :) . Do this for 30 mins per day till your baby's level is back to normal.

As for blood test, you will need that to detect the level. So that baby could not escape it. No worry, your baby will recover.

Always have faith as YOU are his/her MOTHER. MOTHER LOVE .

lyra

Hotmilktea, dun worry, ur baby will be fine! I think at 3rd week he'll do a liver functioning test? Once that is clear then everything will b on downward trend. Many of my friends panic when baby's jaundice peaked but it will suddenly go down n once it go down, it'll never come back :)

hotmilktea

Oh, I m not sure if we hv the liver test, didt hear the doc mention.
But without the sun these few days I can't sun bath him, but thanx to BF, he poos and pee a lot.
I am almost back to TBF now. Crap the PD that ask me do formula that cause constipation.

Hotmilktea, dun worry, ur baby will be fine! I think at 3rd week he'll do a liver functioning test? Once that is clear then everything will b on downward trend. Many of my friends panic when baby's jaundice peaked but it will suddenly go down n once it go down, it'll never come back :)

Oh, I m not sure if we hv the liver test, didt hear the doc mention.
But without the sun these few days I can't sun bath him, but thanx to BF, he poos and pee a lot.
I am almost back to TBF now. Crap the PD that ask me do formula that cause constipation.
hi, mummies
my girl was 3 weeks 4 days. her jaundice level is still not below 100. she is drinking formula milk now. I wondering sure I give her my breast milk? but I am eating confinement food which have ginger. I afraid her level will go up if I give her my breastmilk.
mummies, please advice. worry my girl. feel like cry as cannot help to clear her jaundice.

hotmilktea

If ginger in ur confinement sure cannot gv BM. Can she poo n pee well when having formula now?
I stopped formula becoz my son got constipate, if constipate means cannot release the bilirubin.

hi, mummies
my girl was 3 weeks 4 days. her jaundice level is still not below 100. she is drinking formula milk now. I wondering sure I give her my breast milk? but I am eating confinement food which have ginger. I afraid her level will go up if I give her my breastmilk.
mummies, please advice. worry my girl. feel like cry as cannot help to clear her jaundice.

If ginger in ur confinement sure cannot gv BM. Can she poo n pee well when having formula now?
I stopped formula becoz my son got constipate, if constipate means cannot release the bilirubin.
she did pee a lot. poo poo everyday. but I think she afraid to poo poo,almost everyday she poo, she will cried.
is this consider constipate?
why her jaundice need so long to clear? I quite worry.
any mummies face it before?