9 month baby still need to feed middle of the night?

shespice

Hello mummies
My baby gal is 9 months now but she is still waking up like twice after midnite and start fussing and can't go back to sleep unless I breastfeed or give formula.
Just wondering if I should feed her or are there any other ways of getting her back to sleep. Is it normal for baby of this age to still wake up to feed?
My first gal slept through the night by the 3-4 month.
Thanks for sharing!

Gem2505

my girl stopped night feeding on her own when she's 2months old. she didnt want when we feed her. more like we force her to take. then my mum say, baby slp more impt than drinking. so we let her slp till she shiok.. wake up already den feed. so far, till now, 7mths+ already, she's never wakes up once for night feed. =)

usually i will feed her around 10.30pm-12mn ( depending what time i slp ), so it can last her till morning.

summertime

Gem2505 : so lucky... my bb almost 3 mth still every 3hr need feed.. once awhile will 1 feeding during night....

Gem2505

Gem2505 : so lucky... my bb almost 3 mth still every 3hr need feed.. once awhile will 1 feeding during night....
i rather waking up n feed her. my girl is underweight since borned. 2kg. she's at 25percentile only. she's weighing only 6kg at this age. usual kids are ard 7+ or 8+kg already. other than being small, she's perfectly fine. play well, slp well. only doesnt eat well. still refuse to eat solid food at this age. babies should be taking puree and porridge at this age le lor. shake head.

Xmasbaby

My girl waked up for milk every 2 hrs during her 1st mth. From the 2nd mth onwards, I will stay up till 12.30am the latest for one more feed and it will last her till 7am. I think it is a good method to train her, suggested by my parents. :)

summertime

My girl waked up for milk every 2 hrs during her 1st mth. From the 2nd mth onwards, I will stay up till 12.30am the latest for one more feed and it will last her till 7am. I think it is a good method to train her, suggested by my parents. :)
My bb also drink around midnight onli 2x last him till 6am... how to train?

my girl used to drink every 2 hrs till she 2mths old she change to every 3 hrs evening during midnight all the way.. until recently 9mths then i quit her night feeding, because she's on solid twice a day + cereal twice a day + milk after every meal, so meaning she is very full by right, so i realized she gotten use to wake up at 2am and 5am for milk. get use le. last feed 10-11pm. so i decided to try the water method, beginning she still will fuss and doesn't wanna suck it, drinks abit and fuss, i pat her slowly and she slp back, and wakes up again after 1-2 hr, for 1 week, i did that, and now her last feed at 10-11pm. she sleeps till 5-7am for her feed, depending on her dinner, if its rice and her fav dishes, she last longer, can wake up at 7-9am, if porridge she gets hungier easily, anyway.. she still will move and make a bit of noise when sleeping , so no difference, i will wake up also, just that we get to sleep few hours straight. :) u can try the water and patting method, no need carry her up, just pat on the bed.

Xmasbaby

Yes, the water and patting method is quite practical. I have friend who used the water method and very soon her baby had no motivation to wake up in the middle of the night just to drink water... Lol... Dont carry them up straight away. Babies are very smart. They know their mommy or daddy is there to sayang them... :)) and the more they will make noise.

I make sure my baby doesnt sleep too much in the day. Some parents let their babies sleep as much as possible in the day so that they have more free time. And I make sure they have enough milk intake/ food in the day. Thus, when she is well fed and it's night time, they will naturally sleep longer in the night and dont wake up for milk. Have to train for 1-2 weeks then can see result. Oh ya, I usually feed at 9pm+/- and she goes to sleep. I will then wake her up again betw 12.30am - 1am for a last feed, can last till 7am...

Last edited:
totally agree with xmas mummy. my bb used to nap 3 times a day, and each time is 2-3 hours, like 11am, 3pm,6pm. and i just decided to drag her mid nap long like 4pm nap till 6pm, thats it ! no more napping in the evening, and she sleeps longer, i rather they sleep longer in the night ( where we mummies get better sleep ) then to let them nap longer.. u wanna do your stuffs just put them in the walker, thats what i do! now my girl is very independent, plays on her own on her play mat, thats it, she only calls for me when she wants to eat biscuit or milk! hahaha.

Phoebii Cheng

I think every bb is diff.....some need more sleep, some dont, some want more milk, some don't

I think sometimes it is our expectations of them, that not met, usually we will feel upset or frustrated how come things don't go our way?

My son, till 1 yrs old still wake up wanting milk, but I still prepare and give him....cos' to me I feel that so long as my son need me, I will be there for him....and my son though now 3 yrs old, sometimes will want us to carry him, I feel tired sometimes and don't want to, but hubby will always carry him whenever he want too, hubby tell me, now he want to be near you, want u to carry him...cherish the moment, cos' next time, who knows he prefers his peers more than u :001_302:

My boy is 8.5 months n still wake up for milk in the middle of the night too. I dOnt mind since I breastfeed him with the side lying Position, I can sleep while I bf him.. He will unlatch when he's full..

If she wakes up once or twice from 10pm - 7am I will still feed her now, but sometimes she being notty. Wakes up not for milk cos I went to make and she doesn't drink and wanna play!!!! She will roll ard and laugh! That's when I will nag at her and make her sleep back thru the night! I think all mummies will know when their babies want milk or water or play, like she just woke up at 4am to play and just sleep!! It's very tiring to wake up every 2hrs when she was younger , 11pm wake up drink plus blurp till 1130am, sleep back 1am wakes up for milk again!! I rmb those tiring days thruout the night ! Now I'm glad she wakes up maybe once only!! Thankful so I'll still get up to feed her, at least I have longer sleep now. And due to teething again she wants water instead, so easier, jus prepare and put beside me!

ast0212

It's normal babies still wake up during the night but it's completely up to you if you want to feed her. My boy still woke up and breastfed once a night by 12 months old and I stopped feeding him because I wanted my period back to get pregnant again so stopping the night feed helped. When I did get pregnant I was too nauseous to night feed anyway so he slept through till morning.

For me I continued the night feeds till 12 months because it was the most easiest way to get my son back to sleep:001_302:

If you don't mind waking up to feed, then go for it. It's good for baby to get those extra nutrients plus comfort from mummy :)

have to agree, milk makes them sleep them so fast and soundly ! especially when teething, hot weather, too cold, or other problems, i feed her milk after milk she just turn and sleep! sometimes she woke up to talk, i go make milk and she sleep back! ahahaha milk makes them drunk!

shoppee

My baby can sleep 11-12 hours stretch without wake up at night. I think it is because lack of nap in afternoon. 2 naps only around 1.5 - 3 hour in total. I still pump breast milk, but give last feeding until very full with milk powder heard it keep baby full longer, i agree too, make sure change to clean diaper, on the dim light, air con.. then zzzzz

quesmama

Just curious, some mummies mentioned that you don't let your baby take too much nap in the daytime, how do u do that? Cos my baby just sleep everytime after feeding. Only awake for maybe 1hr+ after bath time every day..

Xmasbaby

Actually, after a while, you would be able to tell your baby's style.

Generally, if u want your baby to nap a little longer, you set all the conditions right, eg clean diaper, dim light, cooling temperature & etc... But if u feel that u dont want your baby to sleep to long, u may like open up the curtains, turn off the air con and turn on the fan instead & etc...

When baby nap for too long in the day, they will tend to refuse to sleep early in the night and u will end up with less personal time. All in all, plan u and baby's schedule. So that baby's happy and u are happy too...

It also base on how old is your baby... When there are younger, they tend to sleep more. But when they gets older, they behave more like adults, they hv play time & etc.. thus sleep less.... Usually nap once in the morning like 1.5hrs - 2hrs and another round in the afternoon is gd enough... Those awake time, I usually play with them, sing song & etc

shespice

Hi all mommies :)

Thanks for all the sharing and sorry for being absent after putting up this thread. It's informative to read all your sharing.
Now, my baby is approaching 11 months since I last wrote hahaha. However, she still does wake up once or twice after midnite. Her last milk feed is usually 8.30 or 9pm so perhaps that's why she still wakes up? I am trying to stretch her bedtime to later but she seems to be sleepy by around 9pm or so. So far for now, she naps like twice a day, once around 10am then around 3 or 4pm in the afternoon.
I have more or less try to wean her off the breast when she wakes up in the middle of the night....but she can only get back to sleep if i give milk (formula/breast). I have recently tried water hahahah. Will see how it goes coz I am not sure if she is waking up because she is hungry or maybe got nightmare hee hee....

thanks again for all the sharing and hope to hear more when you can :)

Wendy1982

Hi shespice,

Yes its is normal for a baby to wake up in the middle of the night to feed. just like my baby did.

Thank you for sharing your story..