9 mth old baby boy fell from bed :(

Summer01

Hi all, my baby boy fell from my bed which is slightly higher than my knee yesterday. Head hit the tiled floor with a 'pong' sound and the next thing I know , he was on his back crying.... I quickly rush to pick him up to soothe him and he appear dazed and rest his head on my shoulder. While keep comforting him and crying myself, I check for bumps and other injury but found none. Not even redness anywhere on any part of his head!

That makes me even more worried if he suffered internal injury instead ! after his daze for a while, he was active once more, breastfed him, put him to sleep, after 2 hours woke up and had his porridge for dinner - acting normal. Of course all the while I was searching for any pediatrician that still open on Sat eve. In the end I called up own pediatrician which advised me to go A&E to see doc and see if need xray, or consult normal GP if based on observation nothing abnormal with son.

In the end, brought my son to see GP nearby. He did simple check on his head and body and diagnose ok, need not go A&E. Was asked to observe for any abnormality for next 24hrs.

On my part other than feeling guilty and still extremely guilty for not being a good mum and take good care of son, wanted to consult mummies here anyone has such unfortunate accident before ? Is it really ok to leave my son as he is now. Will he suffers internal injury and affect his future health?

The lesson I've learned is to really never leave baby alone on the bed even though you r nearby and so confident he won't crawl faster than you can reach him. ... I've learnt my lesson and hope to share this with other mummies here. ..now still observing him, poor son. .

should let him lie on the baby cot with frame? if put on bed, with pillow around him?

but don worry if ur boy no vomit after he felt down from bed.. if he knock his head and vomit, then have to go for further detail check up asap d..

apollo

Summer, i noe hw u feel. but then, just be more careful next time. and i dun think by putting pillows on the bed helps, cos when they learn hw to crawl, they will push away the pillow too.

ds also fell from bed quite a few times when he was younger. at 11mth old, we taught him how to come down from the bed/sofa safely. which means, legs down instead of head down. he learnt quite fast cos wee keep teach n teach. so now he will come down by legs. at times he tend to 'forget' but when we ask him "how to come down?" then he will switch to the right way. u can start teaching ur bb now, sooner or later he will noe the right way to come down =)

Summer01

should let him lie on the baby cot with frame? if put on bed, with pillow around him?

but dont worry if your boy no vomit after he felt down from bed.. if he knock his head and vomit, then have to go for further detail check up asap d..
Hi, ya should put him in his cot next time. Just didn't predict such unfortunate accident could happen when put him on my bed to do diaper change. ...

Summer01

Hi apollo, thanks for your advice! At 9 mths my son still blur blur so I doubt he can understand what I want to teach him. He gets more excited if we disapprove his action or made mistake ourselves! Had a feeling he gonna grow up the rebellious type :(

Can I ask how your dear son fell? Got whole forehead hit headon on the floor fr bed before ? Cause I still cannot imagine how come no visible external injury when the impact was so great. Very worried it could be internal and damage is much more severe...

apollo

Hi apollo, thanks for your advice! At 9 mths my son still blur blur so I doubt he can understand what I want to teach him. He gets more excited if we disapprove his action or made mistake ourselves! Had a feeling he gonna grow up the rebellious type :(

Can I ask how your dear son fell? Got whole forehead hit headon on the floor fr bed before ? Cause I still cannot imagine how come no visible external injury when the impact was so great. Very worried it could be internal and damage is much more severe...
he fell down countless times!!!! esp aft he learn hw to walk.. got fall on forehead, on face, on the back.. -.-"""

Phoebii Cheng

I guess it is part & parcel of growing up....my son too fell countless times....recently he fell again right in front of me, from the sofa....u know like the "Jackie Chan" movie fell on his back......cos' he was jumping on the sofa, thank God his head did not hit the edge of the table.....

Ya agree with apollo, just need to be more careful & alert next time

We all go through the feeling, but most impt thing is don't dwell too long into the guilt feeling....:tlaugh:

Hi all, my baby boy fell from my bed which is slightly higher than my knee yesterday. Head hit the tiled floor with a 'pong' sound and the next thing I know , he was on his back crying.... I quickly rush to pick him up to soothe him and he appear dazed and rest his head on my shoulder. While keep comforting him and crying myself, I check for bumps and other injury but found none. Not even redness anywhere on any part of his head!

That makes me even more worried if he suffered internal injury instead ! after his daze for a while, he was active once more, breastfed him, put him to sleep, after 2 hours woke up and had his porridge for dinner - acting normal. Of course all the while I was searching for any pediatrician that still open on Sat eve. In the end I called up own pediatrician which advised me to go A&E to see doc and see if need xray, or consult normal GP if based on observation nothing abnormal with son.

In the end, brought my son to see GP nearby. He did simple check on his head and body and diagnose ok, need not go A&E. Was asked to observe for any abnormality for next 24hrs.

On my part other than feeling guilty and still extremely guilty for not being a good mum and take good care of son, wanted to consult mummies here anyone has such unfortunate accident before ? Is it really ok to leave my son as he is now. Will he suffers internal injury and affect his future health?

The lesson I've learned is to really never leave baby alone on the bed even though you r nearby and so confident he won't crawl faster than you can reach him. ... I've learnt my lesson and hope to share this with other mummies here. ..now still observing him, poor son. .
don't think too much, as for now, at least you know just what to do, but let's just pray that there will be no problems in the future regarding with the fall. just always check out his condition and his head..

Divameow

i remember my son fell on the ground when i am swinging him inside his ya lan. worst part is, i am swinging him and 'pop', he is on the ground and the swing drop on top of him!

Summer01

i remember my son fell on the ground when i am swinging him inside his ya lan. worst part is, i am swinging him and 'pop', he is on the ground and the swing drop on top of him!
Oh no. .. did he had bumps? What did the doc said? Really scared u rite?

diymummy

Don't worry your son will be fine. My son fell a lot of times. First time was like yours, didn't expect him to turn, the other times was cause he was mischievious and testing boundaries. Haizz...

As long as after the next 48 hrs, no abnormalities, eg, dizziness, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, not active, he should be ok.

Not to worry. As they grow older, like apollo, when they learn to walk and run, they will also fall. We can prevent up to this much. Just be more careful next time :)

Don't worry summer. You're a great mum! We learn from our mistakes. Don't feel to hard on yourself because your child is doing just fine :)

Summer01

Hi phoebii, I'm much better now thanks! And vivien, yes I did call every now and then to mum to check his condition until I got my mum worried too, haha.

Apollo, I must get my dear son a helmet or something when he learns to walk! My mum said he is a very 'cho lor' chap ....

Summer01

dont't worry your son will be fine. My son fell a lot of times. First time was like yours, didn't expect him to turn, the other times was cause he was mischievious and testing boundaries. Haizz...

As long as after the next 48 hours, no abnormalities, eg, dizziness, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, not active, he should be ok.

Not to worry. As they grow older, like apollo, when they learn to walk and run, they will also fall. We can prevent up to this much. Just be more careful next time :)

dont't worry summer. You're a great mum! We learn from our mistakes. dont't feel to hard on yourself because your child is doing just fine :)

Diymummy, thanks for your encouragement! My heart really feel the pain when saw him fell. Felt like slapping myself for being so careless. He acts normal now and hope there's nothing wrong with his head or brain due to the fall.

And thx all other mummies too for sharing!

Mummy to Baby V

We shifted mattress to floor when baby started crawling.

But he fell backward down 2 steps of stairs and hit the back of his head. Right in front of me! He turned into a daze for a short while too. I was super-worried! Luckily, he started talking after the daze was over.

Since then, he fell another 2 times backwards on the head AGAIN! Once, Daddy couldn't catch him in time. Just last week, cousin pushed him. Fortunately, he is fine.

As long as no unconsciousness, vomiting, bleeding from nose/ears/eyes, still ok.

Take care... You're doing your best, yet accidents do happen. We all learn along the way.

irisskk

Hi mummy,

don worry as long as he is still active and show no sign of vomit.

Can't remember how many month old my daughter is when she had a great fall from the back of the sofa (can image higher than your bed) and landed infront. One pingpong ball size appear on her forehead and some blueblack on one side of her eye. We immediately send her to A&E and doctor check on her and found her still active and advise us to observe for the next 24 hours. I request to have an x-ray on her head but doctor advise not if there is nothing wrong as head scan might kill some cell in her body.

:shyxxx:

nurman02

hi summer mummy...
my daughter fell from the yaolan too... she is a very super active baby... at 6 months, she turns and twirls in the yaolan and one day, 'POP' she fell face down (luckily there's mattress), me soooo super shocked! checked but found no physical injury but sooo kiasu, brought to PD and luckily all seems ok... then subsequently, no matter how careful i've been, she still fell from the bed twice at 8 & 9 months and once from the coffee table, head first (it happened at a split second when my hands are still intact)...

nurman02

haiz, felt like a lousy mother too... brought her to the GP and was given a list of what to look out for head injuries, eg: vomiting, daze, disorientated, etc... thank god she is ok... and surprisingly, she does not cry!!! just kept quite after the fall and then there she goes again, crawling and climbing.... dont worry too much, just see the GP and monitor her behaviour/condition...

apollo

Hi phoebii, I'm much better now thanks! And vivien, yes I did call every now and then to mum to check his condition until I got my mum worried too, haha.

Apollo, I must get my dear son a helmet or something when he learns to walk! My mum said he is a very 'cho ' chap ....
HELMET?? u v kuazhang lehh!! hahaha! later u will not hurt his head but might sprain his neck cos helmet too heavy liaoo :tlaugh: