Activities with your toddler?

Triquetra

Hi mummies,

Can anyone provide suggestions or a good website to refer to with regards to ideas on what activities can I do with my 19+ months old toddler? Or how and what can I teach her through playing? Activities to train her motor skills etc?

I am running out of things to do with her at home during the weekends :embarrassed:

huiyin87

i usually bring my boy out for walk in the park, have a slide at the playground, bring him over to frien's hse nearby for the kids to play tgt, or just bring him to kiddy palace to explore.
twice a month, i bring him for activities such as gymboree play, fidgets, swimming, bird park.. tats all i can tink of now.. =)

Mummy to Baby V

I'm SAHM, so need to find something to do with son every day. Ha... I ran out of ideas when he was 10 months old.
Anyway, we started attending Shichida weekly class at 14 months old.
Then I follow the method, buy or make learning materials / games, and we have 1+ hour of learning through play every day.

For free play time, he likes:
- Cooking set, pretend food, wooden knife to cut food
- large building blocks
- lots of singing and dancing
- colouring and painting
- water play
- puzzles

I organize the toys & materials in Ikea storage system. He can pull out whichever box he's interested in.
If he prefers, I'd join and guide him. Or let him play alone if he likes.

Lots of story time too.

Weekends is more outdoors:
- swimming
- play gym (pay per visit) or playground
- visit zoo / bird park / science centre / etc
- watch suitable performance / musical / play
- play date with other kids

Triquetra

Thanks!!!

I used to bring my daughter out by myself but it's getting more and more tedious now since my tummy is growing bigger.

I wanted to buy some paints for her to try some paint brushing or hand printing but I couldn't find a set that is toxic free or safe enough for kids below 3 years old.

Any idea where can I get it?

camom

Mine did mainly montessori type exercises n play:

1) Blocks
2) Puzzles (knobbed mainly)
3) scooping/pouring exercises (started small with bigger scoops n bigger beans, water)
4) threading blocks
5) pretend play with toys/kitchen set
6) Toobs animal sets

I managed to get some finger paints fr "the better toy store" to use with the sponge stamp sets from Crayola.

Triquetra

What beans do you use? I think it's good to let dear daughter train her motor skills but I am not sure what is visible enough to pick up from the floor.

camom

I started with beans like kidney, white beans, then red/green beans, rice. It's not so much for him to pick up actually, he used a spoon to scoop.

I used macaroni mainly for pickup exercises cos I can see where those dropped. For training of pincer grip, I relied mainly on the knobbed puzzles.

camom

yes, he scooped the beans from 1 bowl to another using spoons and scoops. He started off sitting on the floor with the items placed on a cloth table placemat.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy was mouthing things for a long while, so I didn't dare use beans, too small.
I used dry pasta and even small balls of paper.
And any recycled box / container / small bowl plus spoon.

These are also good for training fine motor skills:
- clothes pegs
- zips

And also encourage kicking ball, jumping, dancing, rolling around, balancing, basically big movements.
The more agile the child, the less clumsy falls. :)

camom

Oh ya, u can use those big round wooden beads too. I started him off with that, then subsequently, I used back the same with a shoelace to teach counting and pattern forming.

Triquetra

Oh ya, u can use those big round wooden beads too. I started him off with that, then subsequently, I used back the same with a shoelace to teach counting and pattern forming.
I bought jigsaw from Kiddy Palace for dear daughter during lunch just now but yours looks better.
Where did you get those from?

Evelyn7neo

i usually bring my boy out for walk in the park, have a slide at the playground, bring him over to frien's hse nearby for the kids to play tgt, or just bring him to kiddy palace to explore.
twice a month, i bring him for activities such as gymboree play, fidgets, swimming, bird park.. tats all i can tink of now.. =)
I've bought a family package and it's about to due by 2 Jun, however due to an injury, my boy is unable to attend those classes for 2 weeks as per doctor advise. I've requested for a 2 weeks extension in this case for him to go for a few more classes since I've a lot of classes left in my package, however it was rejected due to the terms & condition stated in the purchase of this package. The setup of Gymboree is for money generating and not early childhood developmemt from what I see here. How can they use T&C to push away a small request of 2 weeks extension, when my boy has a valid doctor medical cert to rest at home?

I hope other parents will take note of such T&C whenever you think of purchasing any package from Gymboree Tanglin.

camom

When can I get those kind of beads?
Oops, sorry for not replying earlier. I got those from craft shops like Art Friend or Spotlight. The other thing you can try when your child is bigger is those Hama beads with frames to create pictures. They have from big ones to pretty small ones for older kids.

noellamenon

Re: Activities with your toddler? Rhythm-n-Rhymes is for you!

Hi Mums of toddlers - If you're looking for a fun way to spend an hour with your toddler every week - I run toddler sessions in the East....It's called 'Rhythm-n-Rhymes'.
- Edutainment for toddlers age 1 to 3+yrs @ 09-01, The Waterside, 9 Tanjong Rhu Road, Singapore - 436894. Registrations open for 2012!! SMS Noella @ HP: 82004142 OR e-mail noellamenon@gmail.com for more information! (Facilitator: Professional VO Actor / Jingle Artist / Singer & winner at the Hollywood Film Festival! Check out http://www.voice4ads.com/ )

Please click on the collage and flyer below - Actual snap shots taken during the Rhythm-n-Rhymes sessions.....every week tiny tots look forward to a different theme - Besides new songs, percussion fun, hymns, story time and muppet shows, we've covered sharing and caring, friends, saying sorry, good manners, seasons, festivals, animals, handy helpers and more! We recently celebrated Valentines Day ..the kids wore red and pink, learnt the 'I LOVE YOU & other Valentines Day songs, took home a surprise heart with their photo on it for their mums and dads and were told a story of LOVE!! They all had a blast!
Slide1.jpgRhythm-n-Rhymes flyer 2012.jpg
As a special promotion - you can sign up for 2 trial sessions at $15 per class (UP: $25).....

Warm Regards

Noella