Activities you do with your kids.

IJmum

As SAHMs, most of us spend the entire day with our kids. Just wondering what are the activities u do with them to make their day fruitful? I've been a SAHM for only 3 mths... sometimes feel that I can do more to engage my children.

Anyone care to share? Thanks. :tbounce:

Yukee

hi i am a sahm too, but for 2+ years liao, sometime i will do some flash card with them, play those masa masa with them, read books to them, sometime bring them to the park (cos my gals love watching tv, bad for the eye) and try to bring them to the library once a week...just bought some books about arts & craft for little toddlers, but my gals not very cooporative, mayb have to wait till later...if run out of idea just turn on music and dance with them lor...

IJmum

Hi Yukee,
thanks for sharing. How old are yr gals? I tried to do flash cards but my boy not interested. He loves pretend play now. Just started to show more interests in reading story books after I brought him to the library to borrow some books. Oh, he loves to go playground and swimming pool.

Yukee

Hi IJmum, my #1 is 3yrs and #2 is 17mth. Actually, my #1 goes childcare alternate days so feel she already have enough activities to occupy her those 3 days. My #2 don like flash card also, i don do to her so often now. In fact, wat i did for my gals is not enough, i had a frend, her son is 3days older than my #2, he already potty trained and knows wat is ABC...sometime feel so ashame...really a lousy mother. BTW, how many kids u have and how old r they?

IJmum

Hi Yukee,
like you i also hv 2 kids. Eldest is 2yr 8mths. Younger one is 4-half mths.

Hmm... don't feel ashamed. Yr kids will always think u are the BEST mummy for them! I sometimes feel that i'm not doing enough for my kids too. Think mothers always feel this way. Just do our best, our kids will turn out fine.

:Dancing_wub:

Supergirl

Mummies!

There are plenty of activities to do with your toddlers!

Finger painting - fun and let them learn about colours

Crayons - print out cartoons characters and start colouring

Sand art - I bought $1 per piece at pasar malam, very interesting

Play ball at the playground - great way to exercise

Sing and dance silly together

Dot to dot - dot to dot worksheet can be found at bookshop or search it online

Craft - Make creative craft work (can also be searched from internet)

Fly a kite

Plant a seed and watch it grow

Make paper planes, mark a finishing line and prepare to race with your children

Enjoy!

jedamum

starting the activity is easy...ending the session usually in tears and tantrum cos still want to play, or want to venture around with the 'materials' risking kids' own safety and house cleanliness....

Yukee

I agree with jedamum also...as i say i bought art & crafts for toddlers, the session really ends with my gal screaming:eek:10: and my shouting:we2arghh:...cos my gal don't follow instruction...so have to wait till she is older...

Porukadotzu

I agree with jedamum also...as i say i bought art & crafts for toddlers, the session really ends with my gal screaming:eek:10: and my shouting:we2arghh:...cos my gal don't follow instruction...so have to wait till she is older...
:tlaugh:LOL

so the last activity always end up with mummy's scolding huh?

when my bb born i think i would also be SAHM..

leey

Hi,

Fishing and eating together as our usual activities.

And some simple house cleaning works.:001_302:
That's is enough and compelling one.

Last edited:

Supergirl

I don't understand why there is screaming and shouting after the activities. I have no such problems with my daughter.

Maybe lower your expectation of your toddlers' craft work? Can't expect them to colour or paint neatly or as nice as an adult right?

Enforce a routine or a schedule for activities. For me, I will normally do it with my daughter after her breakfast and before her bathtime. After finishing the messy craft work, I will tell my daughter, its time for bath and she will know fun time is over.

:001_302:

IJmum

Mummies!

There are plenty of activities to do with your toddlers!

Finger painting - fun and let them learn about colours

Crayons - print out cartoons characters and start colouring

Sand art - I bought $1 per piece at pasar malam, very interesting

Play ball at the playground - great way to exercise

Sing and dance silly together

Dot to dot - dot to dot worksheet can be found at bookshop or search it online

Craft - Make creative craft work (can also be searched from internet)

Fly a kite

Plant a seed and watch it grow

Make paper planes, mark a finishing line and prepare to race with your children

Enjoy!

Wow thanks for all these ideas! Sounds like great fun! Will try them with my toddler. :Dancing_tongue:

IJmum

starting the activity is easy...ending the session usually in tears and tantrum cos still want to play, or want to venture around with the 'materials' risking kids' own safety and house cleanliness....
Hi jedamum,

i used to hv this prob... but nowadays quite rare la. Cos i've learnt to relax abit with my boy. I used to be quite paranoid, especially abt cleanliness. That was when some activities will end in tantrums. But after i relaxed, it became fun and enjoyable for us. E.g. when i let him do painting, he sometimes make a mess. But i just let him be. As long as he enjoys himself, we can clear up afterwards. Or if we play together, i will let him play as long as he wants. To toddlers, play = work. They can learn many valubale lessons thru play.

So, maybe u wanna try? Go according to yr child's 'timetable' instead of enforcing yours? Both of u may enjoy it better... :tlaugh:

IJmum

Hi,

Fishing and eating together as out usual activities.

And some simple house cleaning works.:001_302:
That's is enough and compelling one.
Fishing! Wow..sounds fun. Where do you usually go fishing? Dunno of much place in S'pore where one can fish.

jedamum

I don't understand why there is screaming and shouting after the activities. I have no such problems with my daughter.

Maybe lower your expectation of your toddlers' craft work? Can't expect them to colour or paint neatly or as nice as an adult right?

Enforce a routine or a schedule for activities. For me, I will normally do it with my daughter after her breakfast and before her bathtime. After finishing the messy craft work, I will tell my daughter, its time for bath and she will know fun time is over.

:001_302:
my boy is 16 mths old. whether have screaming may be related to the age and/or the nature of the kid.
my boy likes to 'taste' the materials.....

jedamum

Hi jedamum,

i used to hv this prob... but nowadays quite rare la. Cos i've learnt to relax abit with my boy. I used to be quite paranoid, especially abt cleanliness. That was when some activities will end in tantrums. But after i relaxed, it became fun and enjoyable for us. E.g. when i let him do painting, he sometimes make a mess. But i just let him be. As long as he enjoys himself, we can clear up afterwards. Or if we play together, i will let him play as long as he wants. To toddlers, play = work. They can learn many valubale lessons thru play.

So, maybe u wanna try? Go according to yr child's 'timetable' instead of enforcing yours? Both of u may enjoy it better... :tlaugh:
ya thanks...
as i have yet to purchase crayons for him, i let him pretend doodle with an eraser pencil...and to prevent him from 'tasting' it, i will feed him bits of snacks while he sits on his high chair and 'doodle'.
any recommendations of art and craft materials especially crayons?
TIA

jedamum

what i do with my 16mth old on a typical afternoon (may not be all)
- read books
- watch videos (he will dance to some of his fav songs)
- run to and fro in the living room
- kick ball around the living room
- "doodle" mostly when i need to supervise ds1 in his homework.

what i do with my 5 yr old on a typical weekday morning (may not be all)
- homework
- watch dvd/cd
- play hangman
- play other stuff
- play neopets
- play Uno game
- kick ball around the living room
then it is free play for him (seldom do art and craft cos he doesn't like)

usually ds1 will play/entertain ds2.

Last edited:

Yukee

ya thanks...
as i have yet to purchase crayons for him, i let him pretend doodle with an eraser pencil...and to prevent him from 'tasting' it, i will feed him bits of snacks while he sits on his high chair and 'doodle'.
any recommendations of art and craft materials especially crayons?
TIA
Hi Jedamum, my frend introduce me this website (Do2Learn: Educational Resources for Special Needs), there are some pix inside you can print and you can buy those small round smiley face from Popular and let your son stick on it...i let my gal try, she is ok for the 1st few stickers, after that she don't want already.