Advice for care of newborn

Missy S

Hi all,

Need some advice on care for my newborn who is 3 weeks old now.

Nose
Does any parents clean your newborn nose? I read from books saying that infant's nose and ears are self cleaning, hence no cleaning is require. Except if there is any mucus outside, just use wet cotton wool to wipe off. My CL advised me to buy Salacyn 0.9% eye drops and drip 1 drop into each nostrils, then use a twisted tissue paper to clean for him. She said her previous client went to a pediatrician, and the doctor advised them to buy the eye drops to use for cleaning the nose. I want to ask if anyone use that too? Also any tips care to share in nose care for newborn?

Eye
One of my boy's eye always has sticky yellowish tears. My auntie and CL told me that it is very normal as he is still jaundiced so it is sort of a way of the body eliminating the toxic out... Is it true? Should I bring him to see a doctor?

Sneezing
My boy occasionally will sneeze but no runny nose or mucus or phlegm. Is that ok? Should we bring him to a doctor? How do I know if it is not cold or flu?

angelwendy

Nose
Does any parents clean your newborn nose? I read from books saying that infant's nose and ears are self cleaning, hence no cleaning is require. Except if there is any mucus outside, just use wet cotton wool to wipe off. My CL advised me to buy Salacyn 0.9% eye drops and drip 1 drop into each nostrils, then use a twisted tissue paper to clean for him. She said her previous client went to a pediatrician, and the doctor advised them to buy the eye drops to use for cleaning the nose. I want to ask if anyone use that too? Also any tips care to share in nose care for newborn?

I actually did not really clean his nose... just wipe the outside... but so far ok.. i think because is newborn.. so i also don't dare to put anything inside...

Eye
One of my boy's eye always has sticky yellowish tears. My auntie and CL told me that it is very normal as he is still jaundiced so it is sort of a way of the body eliminating the toxic out... Is it true? Should I bring him to see a doctor?

if u r worried u can go to PD... because some normal GP don't really see newborn baby.. it might be an infection.. so is better to go...

Sneezing
My boy occasionally will sneeze but no runny nose or mucus or phlegm. Is that ok? Should we bring him to a doctor? How do I know if it is not cold or flu?

is normal for baby to sneeze.. as long as is not flu... what i heard is that.. because they don't have nose hair.. so dust will get in.. that's y they sneeze more often then us...

Missy S

Nose

I actually did not really clean his nose... just wipe the outside... but so far ok.. i think because is newborn.. so i also dont't dare to put anything inside...

So when should we start cleaning the inside of his nose?

Eye

if you r worried you can go to pediatrician... because some normal GP dont't really see newborn baby.. it might be an infection.. so is better to go...

Ya lor, I was thinking it would be better to go see a doctor regarding about this.

Sneezing

is normal for baby to sneeze.. as long as is not flu... what i heard is that.. because they dont't have nose hair.. so dust will get in.. that's y they sneeze more often then us...
I see... thanks.

apollo

Hi all,

Nose

for nose dirt, i only use those infant cotton bud, those are v v v tiny, to clean his nose. i dun listen to others' advices on buying eyedrops or what cos i feel tt it is not necessary and unless YOUR pd ask u to do so. cos u didnt hear what the pd said, right? =)

Eye

it's v normal. every NB baby has it. unless the eye dirt become greenish and his eye become reddish den u have to bring him to pd =)

Sneezing

this is NOT flu. baby sneeze not becos they r cold, not becos they have flu. they sneeze to get rid of the dirt in their nose. unless there is watery mucus dripping from his nose each time he sneeze.
hope my reply helps =)

CanCanMum

nose : the Pi sai wil come out when they sneeze, otherwise i will jus leave it

eyes : i juz use cloth dip in warm water to clean

sneezing : ohh yeshhh, when baber was a baby, i dddink he clocked the highest frequency of sneezing in the day lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz

diymummy

My reply in green

Hi all,

Nose
Does any parents clean your newborn nose? I read from books saying that infant's nose and ears are self cleaning, hence no cleaning is require. Except if there is any mucus outside, just use wet cotton wool to wipe off.

Yes it is self cleaning so by right no need to clean. But my hand itchy and I cannot stand the sight of the pi sai. So I used Tollyjoy SLIM cotton bud to gently flick out the pi sai dangling near the nostril. Those that are deep inside, I leave it there.

My CL advised me to buy Salacyn 0.9% eye drops and drip 1 drop into each nostrils, then use a twisted tissue paper to clean for him. She said her previous client went to a pediatrician, and the doctor advised them to buy the eye drops to use for cleaning the nose. I want to ask if anyone use that too? Also any tips care to share in nose care for newborn?

Salacyn is actually saline drops. Which means salt water or sea water drops as some people call it. It is not used for cleaning nose. It is used to clear blocked nose that is if let's say your baby is having a cold and his nose is stuck, then use Salacyn to clear the nose.

Eye

No need to see a doctor. Just gently clean it away with a clean cotton bud dipped in cool boiled water.

Sneezing

It is a normal reflex to changes in their environment like temperature. Since their nasal passages are small, they are very sensitive. It is perfectly normal.

Missy S

My reply in green

Hi all,

Nose
Does any parents clean your newborn nose? I read from books saying that infant's nose and ears are self cleaning, hence no cleaning is require. Except if there is any mucus outside, just use wet cotton wool to wipe off.

Yes it is self cleaning so by right no need to clean. But my hand itchy and I cannot stand the sight of the pi sai. So I used Tollyjoy SLIM cotton bud to gently flick out the pi sai dangling near the nostril. Those that are deep inside, I leave it there.

My CL advised me to buy Salacyn 0.9% eye drops and drip 1 drop into each nostrils, then use a twisted tissue paper to clean for him. She said her previous client went to a pediatrician, and the doctor advised them to buy the eye drops to use for cleaning the nose. I want to ask if anyone use that too? Also any tips care to share in nose care for newborn?

Salacyn is actually saline drops. Which means salt water or sea water drops as some people call it. It is not used for cleaning nose. It is used to clear blocked nose that is if let's say your baby is having a cold and his nose is stuck, then use Salacyn to clear the nose.

Eye

No need to see a doctor. Just gently clean it away with a clean cotton bud dipped in cool boiled water.

Sneezing

It is a normal reflex to changes in their environment like temperature. Since their nasal passages are small, they are very sensitive. It is perfectly normal.
Ya, I can't stand the sight of pi sai dangling at the end of his nostrils. My hands so itchy that I feel like digging them out... LOL

Nose: I use the pigeon super thin cotton bud to clean. But I do it only After 1 or 2 months old. I started cleaning cos I heard her breathing is quite loud when she sleep and am worried it will block her nostrils. I won't clean everyday. Only when I hear noise or when she keep sniffling the mucus. About 2 or 3 days.

Eyes: better see a paed. My daughter had those yellowish sticky stuff on one of her eye when she was born. It kinda got worse and she keep tearing. Sometimes when she wake up from her sleep her eye can't open cos the sticky stuff dried up. Even when I try to clean I am afraid it will hurt her cos when it harden when dried. Doctor initially gave me saline eye drops to wash her eye but when it did t get better, he gave antibiotic drops.

Sneezing: it is normal. We adults also sneeze a few times a day. If baby is cold he or she will cry, not only sneeze. I really buay ta Han those ppl who will say "cold cold" whenever baby sneeze. Sometimes Singapore weather so hot baby sneeze, cannot be cold right...?

Missy S

Nose: I use the pigeon super thin cotton bud to clean. But I do it only After 1 or 2 months old. I started cleaning cos I heard her breathing is quite loud when she sleep and am worried it will block her nostrils. I won't clean everyday. Only when I hear noise or when she keep sniffling the mucus. About 2 or 3 days.

Eyes: better see a paed. My daughter had those yellowish sticky stuff on one of her eye when she was born. It kinda got worse and she keep tearing. Sometimes when she wake up from her sleep her eye can't open cos the sticky stuff dried up. Even when I try to clean I am afraid it will hurt her cos when it harden when dried. Doctor initially gave me saline eye drops to wash her eye but when it did t get better, he gave antibiotic drops.

Sneezing: it is normal. We adults also sneeze a few times a day. If baby is cold he or she will cry, not only sneeze. I really buay ta Han those ppl who will say "cold cold" whenever baby sneeze. Sometimes Singapore weather so hot baby sneeze, cannot be cold right...?
pinkpluspinky, you are so funny and right about that... Singapore weather really very hot, but yet my older folks always said "cold cold" then try to wrap him like a bah chang (rice dumpling)

apple.koh

Yellowish tears might be tear duct not yet fully develoed.
My son stop producing those yellowish tears when he is about 1mth plus.
Just kept it clean with wet cotton wool would do.