Advice needed for Nov 08 baby

CDL

1) Looking for toddler car seat - must be cotton (DD feels hot otherwise), between S$100-S$200. I'm inundated with choices when I go to the baby stores at Kaki Bukit. Also it seems that some of the sales people there are promoting items that they enjoy bigger commissions on. Is it value for money to get a Maxi Cosi at S$200+ or can a cheaper toddler car seat work as well? What brands carry cotton car-seats for up to about 3.5 to 4years?

2) Staying in the Bedok/Tanah Merah area. Looking for a childcare centre to send DD to in a few months' time. Any recommendations? When I go around to the childcare centres, what should I be looking out for (besides the obvious low child to teacher ratio, warm friendly loving teachers, good discipline, clean healthy environment)? Are there any church-run childcare centres in this area?

3) Also looking for a new maid and agency. Thinking of getting a Sri Lankan maid as I heard that they can speak quite good English (Filipinos can probably speak better but I want someone without the attitude/boy friends..etc) Is my assessment of Sri Lankan maids correct? Otherwise, thinking of getting a Myanmese maid as a contingency. Any recommendations on agency? Any thoughts on 121 Personnel - have read many good reviews but anyone with personal experience in dealing with them?

I have so many things to put in place before I return to work, so I would appreciate any advice, ideas or recommendations on the above.

SH74

1) cant help u much on dat. :p

2) u can actu go to www.childcarelink.gov.sg to see d list of childcare centres in dat area. if u intend to send her there in a few mths time, u better start searching now cos alot of good ctrs will b full.

wat i did was to list down d fees for all d centres (in my area). den shortlist 2 fr each range (exp, avg n cheap). den i'll go down to c d places. tedious but it worked for me. to me, i dun wan HDB settings cos my child loves outdoor n i dun wan my child to alw walk ard d void decks or play at those public playgrounds. another thing i look out for is d teachers n centre's environment, hygiene n cleanliness.

anyway, u'll know wat u wan aft visiting a few centres (ranging fr exp, mid to cheap fees).

3) pardon me for asking, r u chinese or indian? i feel dat not all filipinos got attitude or boy fren prob la. depends on ur luck also. maids fr other countries also will hv this prob. u dun choose those vain type or too young ones. my parents got myanmese maid b4 but they dunno much english unless they've worked here b4. d 1 my parents got, is good. knows english n chinese. i think u jus hv to tell d agencies ur requirements.

CDL

Hi SH74, thank you for taking the time to respond. I have since bought a car seat as well as got an Indonesian maid. Will look up the link you provided on the childcare centers.

CDL

Thanks for the link Camom. Good to know of childcare facilities in the West. May be moving there later this year.

vinder79

Try YWCA at jurong east.I sent my son there only for 4 days while in process of shifting from jurong to teck whye when he came back my DS started eating by himself and he was only 20 mths.But mums out there there is a thing called emergency care you can go with your kid and stay there with them to feel and try out the school.When i shifted this is what i did and i feel that carpe diem is a school with good programes 2.