Advice needed : How to calculate infant formula (in ml)?

fruppylove

Hi mummies,

When preparing infant or follow-on formula, should I count the milk volume BEFORE or AFTER adding powder?

When I add the milk powder to 170ml of water, it becomes like 200ml. Should I tell the pediatrician that my boy is drinking 170ml or 200ml?

I am quite worried that I am over-feeding my boy. Hope mummies can give me some advice. Thanks!

apollo

i'm also v curious of this... usually when pd ask me, i'll tell him 120-150 (before adding the powder)... am i right???

annie

hmm.. before adding powder is simply water isnt it? then after adding powder becomes milk ma.. so it should be after adding the powder imo...

by right, 1 tablespoon is 15g=15ml... but not too sure if the powder will balloon up after adding water hhe. if simply calculating the powder, then yes 1 tablespoon=15g. 2 tablespoon is 30g.. so if u add 2 tablespoon of powder to 170ml of water, it becomes 200ml. makes sense hopefully?

yan2

Hi mummies,

When preparing infant or follow-on formula, should I count the milk volume BEFORE or AFTER adding powder?

When I add the milk powder to 170ml of water, it becomes like 200ml. Should I tell the pediatrician that my boy is drinking 170ml or 200ml?

I am quite worried that I am over-feeding my boy. Hope mummies can give me some advice. Thanks!
should count the milk volume before adding powder. Example NAN, 30ml of water = 1 scoop of milk powder. Making 180ml of milk, pour 180ml of water into the bottle then 6 scoops of milk powder.

Milk powder has weight. When you add milk powder into the 170ml water, the water level will increase. The volume of water is fixed. Should tell the pediatrician that your boy is drinking 170ml.

dcs_81

the info is stated in the milk container ..
so i think milk intake is calculated after u mix the milk powder ..
I am using friso .. there is a suggested feeding table ..u can refer to the "total amount of feeding(ml) " column for more info ..

Ting

hmmm, for me, i think the can states 180 ml water = 3 scoops of milk. (bigger scoops/ or =6 normal scoops)
so i just add 3 scoops to 180 ml of water.
my doc nvr asked me b4 adding or after adding, to him, its just a rough gauge only.

Phoebii Cheng

Yes agree with Yan2....my son is drinking Friso, so normally would add 3 scoops of milk powder to 180ml of water, so meaning he is drinking 180ml of milk:tlaugh:

mummiestarries

mine's drinking Friso too. But 4scoops to 120ml of water. I'm following the chart that is written on the can.

Or do we need to count the milk intake by the formular:

baby's weight x 150ml / 6feeds = amount of milk intake each feed

Anyone else heard about thid formular?

mummiestarries

mine's drinking Friso too. But 4scoops to 120ml of water. I'm following the chart that is written on the can.

Anyone else heard about this formular?

Phoebii Cheng

I think your son is drinking Friso1? Cos' my son now is 18mths, so drinking Friso Gold or Friso 3 I cannot really remember.....

I have not heard abt the formula, but every bb's milk intake is different.....so just follow your bb's milk intake rather than the formula, however, if you want to increase your bb's milk intake, do it progressively, in 10mls

yan2

I dun use formular. I go by how much my dd drinks. I will increase by 30ml each time, easy to count the no of scoops.

If not, like 130ml = 4.3333scoops?...0.333 scoops...different people different judgement..so in the end the milk given will be thicker or thin...so best way is to give 120ml or 150ml. If bb can not finished, just keep aside and give later (within one hr).

apollo

I dont use formular. I go by how much my dear daughter drinks. I will increase by 30ml each time, easy to count the no of scoops.

If not, like 130ml = 4.3333scoops?...0.333 scoops...different people different judgement..so in the end the milk given will be thicker or thin...so best way is to give 120ml or 150ml. If baby can not finished, just keep aside and give later (within one hr).
i also always increase the milk by 30ml. easier... haha...

fruppylove

Thanks mummies. I'm currently giving my son FrisoGold2 as well, but I was a bit confused as the tin says "to prepare 100ml of formula, add 3 scoops to 90ml of water".

Looks like most would consider the water level as the quantity consumed.

I usually increase by 10ml each time cos my boy has reflux problem so he may puke if i increase too much at a time...:Dancing_wub: