Advices on BF vs Formula

uddermummy

summeradeline,

you can try telling your mum that your bb will be healthier and easier for her to take care of if on bm cos won't fall sick so often.

tell her shit often good, bb won't get constipation on bm. watery then easy to get out what, and not that smelly some more.

chances are if bb is fussy with bm, bb will also be fussy with fm, cos i think it's more about personality than what bb is eating.

Good luck and cheer up! If all else fails, at least you've tried! Hug hug.

Amulet

kenxf_03, on top of wat mich_liu82 had mentioned, do try to relax, take plenty of fluids..

and check that baby's mouth is WIDE opened, and have a good latch.. bad latch will result in bleeding nipple.. breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt if the latch is right, no matter how hard baby suck..

i wasnt particular about my baby's latch.. in the end, i got crack n bleeding nipple.. gotta grit my teeth each time she latch, and heng, by 2nd week, its healed..

Joshing05

I am a strong believer that breast milk makes your child smarter. for my first baby i expressed my breast milk when i returned to work and made sure she was on breast milk for at least half a year.

babylegs

hi summeradeline

like most of the replies here, i believe in BM.. i think breast pumps is the solution to the frequent feeding that babies need as you can pump and store the milk. Think about it, you can pump and store in the fridge. whoever is taking care of your child during your work would only have to warm the breast milk up. and during night-time, your husband would have no excuse to not wake up and feed the baby.

CJmom

summeradeline, hope your baby poos are more regular now. BFed babies usually poo in the first 1-2 months after each feed or when they expel wind, a little poo comes out because bm are easily digestable and also baby's digestive organs are still immatured. By mid 2nd month, it should be better as they would be pooing 1-2 times a day or even not pooing for several days (3-4). But as the months go by, their bowel movements will get more regular.

I still get cracked and bleeding nipples even though it's my 2nd child. It is really important to latch on properly. I was lazy and thought my nipples should be seasoned liao..hee.

Whatever the inconveniences, bm advantages are definitely worth them so don't stop, don't give up and switch to formula. My 1st boy was not on total bm and he kinda falls sick every 2wks or so. For my 2nd boy, I'm strictly on total bm for him despite all the comments I get to put him on formula (e.g. so that I can rest, baby not getting enough sleep cos bm not full, all my child also on formula and they also grow up strong and healthy, etc..).

fioncess

True. I also had bleeding nipples n wanted to give up but i went to lactation consul. for advice and they teach mi how to latch correctly. NOw jus 2 weeks n my nipple had healed.
I agree bf is very good for babies. but it's very tough but we still had to persist on. for mi i dun express my milk i give bb total latch on which is even more tiring cos ppl cant help u with feeding. But think of the bonding u will have with you baby it's all worth it.
But i will be going to work soon so next mth onwards have to express my milk and store in the fridge so my mum can give baby ebm.

So it all depend on you. The more you express and latch on the more the milk will come in. I dun express now cos i hate the engorement and have to keep pumping. so i give total latch on so the supply will be jus nice and no engorement if i dun pump. I tried pumpin so tiring.

Alesha

I have the same problem with the confinement nanny. I'm now in my second week of confinement, and have been trying to breastfeed during the day. She will bottle feed the baby after I go to sleep (12am to 7am) if I don't have breast milk stored in the fridge.

She kept telling me that my breaskmilk supply is low, and when I asked for the baby to latch on whenever the baby is hungry, she would say, "Ok, let her suck "wan wan" (translation: play play)."

At one point, she even asked me to pump exclusively and she said the breast milk supply won't go down if I breastpump only without letting baby latching on. So I told her that doctor and all the books I read said that if I don't let baby latch on, my supply will definitely decrease.

Since the first week after giving birth till now, I can only pump about 60ml total from both sides of the breasts. And I would wake up twice between 12am to 7am to pump, and can sometimes get 80ml if I'm lucky.

The paediatrician said I'm feeding the baby just fine during the check up last week. And I shouldn't listen to the confinement nanny.

Anyone facing the same issue?

uddermummy

I have the same problem with the confinement nanny. I'm now in my second week of confinement, and have been trying to breastfeed during the day. She will bottle feed the baby after I go to sleep (12am to 7am) if I dont't have breast milk stored in the fridge.

She kept telling me that my breaskmilk supply is low, and when I asked for the baby to latch on whenever the baby is hungry, she would say, "Ok, let her suck "want want" (translation: play play)."

At one point, she even asked me to pump exclusively and she said the breast milk supply won't go down if I breastpump only without letting baby latching on. So I told her that doctor and all the books I read said that if I dont't let baby latch on, my supply will definitely decrease.

Since the first week after giving birth till now, I can only pump about 60ml total from both sides of the breasts. And I would wake up twice between 12am to 7am to pump, and can sometimes get 80ml if I'm lucky.

The paediatrician said I'm feeding the baby just fine during the check up last week. And I shouldn't listen to the confinement nanny.

i faced the same prob when i was doing my confinement. My CL keeps telling me I had no milk and she force fed my girl 150ml of milk within 3 hours when i was asleep. She couldn't wake up to bring me my girl to latch so ended up my girl cried for more than 6 hours for 2 days and refused to drink.

I kicked her out after 6 days, and relied on my aunt, my mum and my friends to help me. I've been exclusively bfing dd for more than 4 mths, even tho my breasts are really small!

Best way to increase your supply is to direct latch, pumping can help but not as much as bb. Try to latch or pump more frequently, like every 2 to 3 hours.

I suspect that the CL wants you to pump so that she can feed your bb more milk at night so that the CL doesn't have to keep waking up...

Giving my bb bm is more impt than having an irritating woman who's supposed to help me.

You may want to consider your options?

Amulet

I have the same problem with the confinement nanny. I'm now in my second week of confinement, and have been trying to breastfeed during the day. She will bottle feed the baby after I go to sleep (12am to 7am) if I dont't have breast milk stored in the fridge.

She kept telling me that my breaskmilk supply is low, and when I asked for the baby to latch on whenever the baby is hungry, she would say, "Ok, let her suck "want want" (translation: play play)."

At one point, she even asked me to pump exclusively and she said the breast milk supply won't go down if I breastpump only without letting baby latching on. So I told her that doctor and all the books I read said that if I dont't let baby latch on, my supply will definitely decrease.

why would i wan to spend money to buy some useless naggin.. i would have send her off packin if she still decides to say any thing neg about my breastfeedin after my 'warning' to her..