Allergic to egg yolk, can still take MMR vaccine?

My elder twin ate half an egg yolk and got rashes on his chest and back so confirmed he is allergic to egg yolk, have not try egg white to confirm allergic or not ... can he take the MMR vaccine??

Please share your experience...

Phoebii Cheng

The MMR vaccine contains something like egg inside tht time the nurse at polyclinic told me, thts why we r told to give egg to our bb when they turn 1 to see any allergic reaction

If there is then better ask ur PD on alternatives vaccine

PinkDiamonds

Hi, I posted on your other thread about introducing egg yolk & white.

We also bring our girl to polyclinic for her jabs so were told we need to bring our girl to KKH for her MMR jab as they will need to observe her for allergic reaction.

Doctor told us that MMR jab contains egg white, so you'll need to confirm if your son is allergic to both egg white and yolk.

diymummy

My doc told me to intro egg white to my son before the MMR. I think he'd rather my son get a reaction first hand from the food than us having to 2nd guess why he breaks out into rashes after the jab.

My son is allergic both to yolk and white though more to white than yolk.

He will be taking the MMR in April.

My doc told me to intro egg white to my son before the MMR. I think he'd rather my son get a reaction first hand from the food than us having to 2nd guess why he breaks out into rashes after the jab.

My son is allergic both to yolk and white though more to white than yolk.

He will be taking the MMR in April.
Hi all

Thanks on the feedback.

Hi diymummy

Your child is allergic to egg yolk and white, and doctor has okay for him to take the MMR vaccine?

diymummy

Hi Catherine,

He hasn't taken the vaccine yet. I did tell the doc that he is allergic to egg. And the doc still scheduled him to take the vaccine.

My appt with him is on 10th April. I will double confirm again before he jabs my son.

When is yours scheduled for the jab?

Hi diymummy

My sons appt on 3 April 2010, but will most probably postpone now as the elder twin is "allergic" to egg yolk.

Today, i called the clinic and the dr informed me to stop giving egg yolk to the elder twin and try again next week to see if he react the same way.... according to dr if allergic to egg yolk, the body will react in 10-15 mins after taking the egg yolk, but my babysitter told me the rashes starts in the afternoon (he took egg yolk in the morning with cereal).

do share what did the dr says about your son taking MMR even though he is allergic to egg yolk/white.

Thanks

diymummy

Sure Catherine.

My boy's allergic reaction don't occur within 10-15min. Before he was 1 yo, it did react within 10-15min. Now, it reacts after 2 or 3 hrs.

Will post here regarding what my pd says during the next appt.

diymummy

Hi raeka,

Usually an allergic reaction will give the baby rashes. That's the most common form of allergic manifestation.

To test for allergies especially with food you must be strict with what your kid consumes. Eg, if you're testing if he's allergic to egg, egg should be the only "new" thing that you're introducing at that point of time for you to be sure that he is allergic to it when you notice rashes on him.

diymummy

Hi Catherine,

I was at my PD's clinic today and I asked him again abt the MMR vaccine and my boy's allergic reactions to egg, in particular egg white.

My boy did take the flu vaccine when he was 1 and my pd said that flu vaccine also has traces of egg stuff in it. My boy didn't react upon the vaccine so he thinks it is ok for him to do the MMR. My pd asked me to try egg white again but in smaller portions coz the last time I gave my boy the whole egg. He said to give lesser, maybe half.

In any case, he said he will postpone the MMR vaccine till my boy is abt 17 mths. My next visit in April, he will give my boy the chicken pox vaccine instead of the MMR.

raeka

i gave my boy egg to try.. turn out ok. guess is nt allergy to it bah..nt yet taken MMR he on slight cough.