Am I a bad wife?

nora23

Mommies, I've been keeping this inside of me for so long that I need to know from fellow mommies here your view.

I'm happily married with a very caring and loyal husband. We are blessed with 2 princesses. Hubby is 34 and I'm 24. Our girls are 3 and 9 mths old. We have been married for 4 yrs and counting.

Hubby is actually my 1st love's (will address him as F) best childhood friends. They were like buddies since pri 1, living in the same estate as him, in Eunos. Hubby moved out of Eunos after we were married. But MIL is still in Eunos. In short, Eunos is like hubby's and F's kampong. Childhood kampong.

Till this very day, I will feel so much hurt going to Eunos. I'm telling the story why...

Before I met hubby, I was with F. Got to know him when i was 18 thru MIRC. Dat time, me, being a homely, innocent and naive girl, decided to try out MIRC during my poly break. So F approached me and we chatted. I did not have anything in mind. Later we exchanged numbers and he began calling me. I did not like him at first, and thought of him as nuisance. But ya, I gave my no. and we became friends.

It took about 5 mths from that hate to turn into love (eventhough I was 18, I knew that it was Love indeed). I never felt this way before from my past relationships.Never. I was 18 and he was 28. Those random calls from him became a daily thing. I was from a very strict family and I cant talk after 7pm nor use the net. And I cant go out either. So u can imagine how was our relationship like. But each day before 7pm, we will talk, at times making full use of the time up till 7.01pm!

We shared everything about ourselves, everything. We laughed, we cried, we quarrelled, we became intimate,all that over the phone.

It was after a year that I told my mum (she was not so strict like my dad) that I loved someone and knew that he is the one. F and I decided to meet for e very 1st time.

It was a saturday noon, I waited at Marsiling mrt station. He didnt show up untill after 6 hrs. I cant believe I actually waited, sat, watching every face that go by, hoping it was him. Well I did saw his pic before. In my hand, I held his favourite drink root beer. He doesnt have a mobile so I waited. And he called, from home that he is late. I was so mad but decided to wait as he said he'll reach in 45 mins time. I sat n pondered, I was sad, but happy too as Im gona meet my 1st love! God knows how much I love that man. (I'm tearing already now)

Then, a man approached me. That familar voice. I turned up and saw F for the very 1st time. My heart skipped a beat. Instantly, my anger vanished. The love for him was just too overwhelming. But.... he looked so much different from e passport-sized pic he posted months ago. The pic showed a fair gentleman, with neatly cropped hair. But F in reality is a lil tanned, with long unkept shoulder length hair. He looked so.....unkept and very nervous. But all else, remains as per the tele-conversations.

We stood at the tiny bridge watching the sunset together. And held hands while gazing at each other's eyes. It felt like a fairytale for an 18-yr old daddy's girl. I did not knw that was the last time I ever saw him...my first love.

F knew that I cant go out often, have to do it secretly, with the help of mom. Our relationship continued for another year....the same old thing, thru the phone. Each day we will talk. And the conversations were long. We shared more each day. I manage to sneakily speak on the phone after 7pm... till 6am next morn. It was a tele-relationship but it was so real as if he is here with me. He said he is willing to wait for me finish studies.

Then I noticed some changes in him. He will MIA just all out of a sudden for like a week. And will call me then. I asked him why and he kept on saying its his studies and project attachemnets etc. Then soon after, it became more frequent. I was at lost, missing him like crazy. He has no mobile so I cant call him. He did gave his house number but I was too afraid to call. I never called a guy before. I was a homely naive girl. I waited for 2 weeks, I felt like dying each minute. Its like I was craving for my fav drug. I was so confused, I never felt this way before.

He called soon after and I was so mad that I asked what was goin on! I demanded an answer. I asked him if there were anyone he is seeing. He declined profusely, but refusing to tell me what was e actual reason for his MIA-ness. He kept saying that he loves me, he nv felt this way towards a woman. I can't take it anymore, I thought he was playing me out, taking advantage of my naive-ness. I left him.

But it was a painful decision. It was killing me inside. I was not myself. I tried commiiting suicide by overdosing myself with medications. It was a miracle that I did not die given the combinatuions of medications I took before bed one night. It was also that nite when I tore his pic. I was crying, more like wailing my heart out in my room alone in e wee hrs of the morn when everyone was asleep. It was so painful. I loved him so much, with all my life.

He still calls me persistently of which I did not ans. He called me in e morn, at noon, at night, at e wee hrs.... His calls just doesnt stop, like my tears. Mom said I wasnt my usual self. She was so upset n worried. I simply told her that I loved him so much.

His calls came in each day until I could nt hold it longer. I longed to hear that voice. I answered. He wasnt his usual self. He sounded drunk and high. But he told me that he loved me, he needed me. And he wanted to hear me say I Love You. And when I didnt say it, he was a lil mad and told me with slurred speech that he is now with a woman..in bed. I knew it was a big fat lie. He was at home (he called me from his home phone) and no way he can bring a lady up as his family is living with him. I knw he was drunk and was just saying that to make me mad. I hung up to let him rest.

Then 1 day, on my way back from sch, I received a text from hubby (then). He got my number from F one day as F had given him to inform me that F's pc want working and that he is oversea. Hubby smsmed me that F was a drug addict and that he said I did not deserve e way F is treating me. I also got to know F had been in rehab twice before he met me. My hearts sank at that very moment. It was like my whole world came crashing down on me. My mind started to replay the times I had with F. My mind also flashed a vision of F with unkept hair. Suddenly it all made sense. The unkept hair, the MIA-ness, the lateness during our 1st meeting..... It hit me hard. MY FIRST LOVE IS A DRUG ADDICT. A DRUG ADDICT. AND I LOVE HIM.

Hubby told me that F doesnt know that he told me about F's dark side. I was sadden but deep down, I still loved him and in fact I feel like helping him. I wanted to b there to help him with this addiction.

And then, for e first time, I called a guy! I called F! I interrogated him and he was speechless. He was also mad that hubby told me about his dark side. He said hubby should not have done that. He did not admit despite me telling him in his face. I hung up.

Again, the separation was killing me. I missed him so badly. I find myself no longer mad at him, I just wanted to help him.

He called me one day as I was on my way home from the market alone. I sat below the blk to talk. I knew this was goin to b a long talk. He admitted to his drug addiction and that was the reason why he MIA-ed for some time. He did not have another woman. He loved me and that I was the first woman whom he had feelings for. He said he felt so comfortable with her despite our age gap. He said he is trying to cope with this addiction and its very hard. He kept insisting that his love for me never once change eventhough he is an addict. He said he wanted to b with me, have a family and grow old together. I could just cry and kept saying No... He pleaded, crying not to leave him,I could not say anything. I knew that he and I can never be together. My dad wont allow me to marry him. My dad will surely come to knw of his past even if I were to date him in future. My dad simply have his ways and connections.
In short, F isnt the kinda man my dad wud approve of. Period.

I was so shattered. I was confused. I loved a man so much and found out he is an addict. And I cant be with him. Dat was all in my mind.

Soon, I forced myself to move away from F. Afraid of my love for him. Hubby then befriended me. It all was so fast. Hubby and I dated for 3 mths. F got to know since e news of hubby dating me spread like wild fire at their kampong. F confronted hubby to leave his girl alone and that I'm his. F told hubby that he loved me.

It was too late, hubby and I were in a relationship. But I admit I still loved F deep in my heart. We will bump into each other in gatherings and F and I will be looking at each other from afar.....its like we were longing for each other.

F apologised to hubby, wished his luck and told him that I love watching the planes go by, so bring me to e airport to see it as F will never have e chance to..... Hubby told me this after we gt married...n it made me cry.

After 3 mths, hubby and I got married. It was all so fast. F attended the wedding. I never gt a chance to see him dat day. Better I guess, else I will cry. Hubby told me he shook hands with him and wished him luck.

F saw me pregnant after 6 mths of marriage and he smiled to me from afar. But I can see e sadness in his eyes. He patted hubby's shoulders n congratulated us. He told hubby while I was in e car that he wished to apologise to me as he had done me wrong in the past.... of which he did not have a chance to.

We gt our 1st princess and bumped into F one night at their kampong. F looked at our princess closely and smiled at me. We never spoke to this very day. Maybe cos hubby was there each time. But I knw we have so much to say.

Last yr Sep , hubby told me that F got into e priosn for herione addiction. His first time in prison as before was just rehab. Hubby told F was spotted with brusies in his neck and arms weeks just before he got caught. I was so shattered.

Now, going to Eunos, Im not even able to see F anymore as he is serving a long sentence, maybe another 3 or 4 more yrs. Before, F will always get to see us whenever we go there to vist MIL from his balcony. Now even his balcony, HDB had bulit a partition, so I wont get to see F anymore. Unless if we bump into each other at Eunos.

It have been 4 yrs and I cant forget F. There will be times where I would cry and longing to hug him or hear his voice. It hurts so much that I can actually feel my chest is heavy. I still dream of him. And I still think of him randomly as life goes by... Just last evening, I missed him so badly that I cried.
I wanted to feel him again.

I love my hubby and family, and I know that hubby is a better man for me and for my future but... I just cant forget my first love. Maybe there wasnt a proper closure between me and F and I'm dangling here still.

F and hubby are no longer close as before eventhough they will talk whenever they bump into each other.

I know I will never forget F untill the day I die. I cant let go of wat we had. I knew he loved me....I just can feel it. Strange, I still feel that he loves me still.

At times I just wish i could close my eyes and hug F even if its for e last time. I just want to hug him close and feel him close to me. I miss him so bad that it hurts.

angelwendy

Hmmm.. i hope ur hubby won't be able to see this story from here... because i feel that it would hurt him more than what u feel now... Everyone got their past... i feel that when u decided to get married... is time for u to move on to a new chapter.... don't think of it anymore... i feel that there is no point... even if u love him so much even till now.. don't u feel that is unfair to ur hubby?? Patz.. i know is hard some time... but i hope u will move on... don't make urself suffer...

apollo

i think it's pretty common for one to think of his/her 1st love once in awhile. but too much or too over will hurt ur pattern one day.

there is this saying in chi:
得不到的永远都是最好的
means the thing u cant get is much more better than the one u're having now..

now u might think and feel 'regret'. but u think again, even u're now married with F, u might now be thinking of ur current hubby.

now u shd think carefully. is ur hubby and kids more impt or tt F? is it worth risking ur marriage and happiness anot? what if one day ur hubby noe u're still thinking of another guy? what if ur hubby did the same by keep thinking another girl?

Last edited:

nora23

i think it's pretty common for one to think of his/her 1st love once in awhile. but too much or too over will hurt your pattern one day.

there is this saying in chi:
得不到的永远都是最好的
means the thing you cant get is much more better than the one you're having now..

now you might think and feel 'regret'. but you think again, even you're now married with F, you might now be thinking of your current hubby.

now you should think carefully. is your hubby and kids more impt or that F? is it worth risking your marriage and happiness anot? what if one day your hubby know you're still thinking of another guy? what if your hubby did the same by keep thinking another girl?

I will definitely feel hurt if hubby is still thinking of sum1 else. I will never risk my marriage for F. Have no intention of gettin back with him.Just that I miss e old times. No one made me feel so alive.

Gem2505

hmm.. understand that its difficult to let go our feelings. but what's past and done cant be undone. instead, we should look forward to the future.

my case wasnt as bad as yours. but i did had a hard time forgetting my last bf before i got married with my hubby. it was a very ugly break up with previous bf. therefore many things were left unsettled and unexplained. but thinking that my hubby treats me so well, i've overcomed. hubby and i knew each other when we both got bf/gf.. but when both of us became single, each of us came into each other's mind. fated i must say. so after a short dating of less than 6mths, we decided to tie the knot.. got married on our first anni. 2nd anni (since dating) is next month~ sometimes thinking how we knew each other and got together, everything seems like a joke and destiny.

and yes, expecting our first baby now. felt that its a fresh start and a new life to all of us.

hubby n i did talked about our previous relationships openly when we first dated so to make sure we knew each other alil and do not feel suspicious on previous relationship partners coz some of them are still frens of ours.

hope you will walk out this situation soon. perhaps with the love your hubby and your kids shower you can speed up your sadness. cheers alright!

Phoebii Cheng

Yup I agree with the rest of the mummies....don't think abt the past, as it might overwhelm you with regret. No one can go back to the past to change it, but you can change your future starting from today. :tlaugh:

Jovy

I am not saying you are a bad wife but you are matured enough to think wider. You have 2 beautiful girls and a loving husband why waste time to someone you do not belong? Move on, forget the past and look after your family. Hope your mind will be enlighten.

Mum2bee

Hi,just like wat all the mommies had said....
In life it is usually the thing that u can't own it the best
u r nt a bad wife for sure.we human r emotions animals so is kind of normal.dun tink so much and move on and be happy.
Take gd care :)

Mommies, I've been keeping this inside of me for so long that I need to know from fellow mommies here your view.

I'm happily married with a very caring and loyal husband. We are blessed with 2 princesses. Hubby is 34 and I'm 24. Our girls are 3 and 9 mths old. We have been married for 4 yrs and counting.

Hubby is actually my 1st love's (will address him as F) best childhood friends. They were like buddies since pri 1, living in the same estate as him, in Eunos. Hubby moved out of Eunos after we were married. But mother in law is still in Eunos. In short, Eunos is like hubby's and F's kampong. Childhood kampong.

Till this very day, I will feel so much hurt going to Eunos. I'm telling the story why...

Before I met hubby, I was with F. Got to know him when i was 18 thru MIRC. Dat time, me, being a homely, innocent and naive girl, decided to try out MIRC during my poly break. So F approached me and we chatted. I did not have anything in mind. Later we exchanged numbers and he began calling me. I did not like him at first, and thought of him as nuisance. But ya, I gave my no. and we became friends.

It took about 5 mths from that hate to turn into love (eventhough I was 18, I knew that it was Love indeed). I never felt this way before from my past relationships.Never. I was 18 and he was 28. Those random calls from him became a daily thing. I was from a very strict family and I cant talk after 7pm nor use the net. And I cant go out either. So you can imagine how was our relationship like. But each day before 7pm, we will talk, at times making full use of the time up till 7.01pm!

We shared everything about ourselves, everything. We laughed, we cried, we quarrelled, we became intimate,all that over the phone.

It was after a year that I told my mum (she was not so strict like my dad) that I loved someone and knew that he is the one. F and I decided to meet for e very 1st time.

It was a saturday noon, I waited at Marsiling mrt station. He didnt show up untill after 6 hours. I cant believe I actually waited, sat, watching every face that go by, hoping it was him. Well I did saw his pic before. In my hand, I held his favourite drink root beer. He doesnt have a mobile so I waited. And he called, from home that he is late. I was so mad but decided to wait as he said he'll reach in 45 mins time. I sat n pondered, I was sad, but happy too as Im gona meet my 1st love! God knows how much I love that man. (I'm tearing already now)

Then, a man approached me. That familar voice. I turned up and saw F for the very 1st time. My heart skipped a beat. Instantly, my anger vanished. The love for him was just too overwhelming. But.... he looked so much different from e passport-sized pic he posted months ago. The pic showed a fair gentleman, with neatly cropped hair. But F in reality is a lil tanned, with long unkept shoulder length hair. He looked so.....unkept and very nervous. But all else, remains as per the tele-conversations.

We stood at the tiny bridge watching the sunset together. And held hands while gazing at each other's eyes. It felt like a fairytale for an 18-yr old daddy's girl. I did not knw that was the last time I ever saw him...my first love.

F knew that I cant go out often, have to do it secretly, with the help of mom. Our relationship continued for another year....the same old thing, thru the phone. Each day we will talk. And the conversations were long. We shared more each day. I manage to sneakily speak on the phone after 7pm... till 6am next morn. It was a tele-relationship but it was so real as if he is here with me. He said he is willing to wait for me finish studies.

Then I noticed some changes in him. He will MIA just all out of a sudden for like a week. And will call me then. I asked him why and he kept on saying its his studies and project attachemnets etc. Then soon after, it became more frequent. I was at lost, missing him like crazy. He has no mobile so I cant call him. He did gave his house number but I was too afraid to call. I never called a guy before. I was a homely naive girl. I waited for 2 weeks, I felt like dying each minute. Its like I was craving for my fav drug. I was so confused, I never felt this way before.

He called soon after and I was so mad that I asked what was goin on! I demanded an answer. I asked him if there were anyone he is seeing. He declined profusely, but refusing to tell me what was e actual reason for his MIA-ness. He kept saying that he loves me, he never felt this way towards a woman. I can't take it anymore, I thought he was playing me out, taking advantage of my naive-ness. I left him.

But it was a painful decision. It was killing me inside. I was not myself. I tried commiiting suicide by overdosing myself with medications. It was a miracle that I did not die given the combinatuions of medications I took before bed one night. It was also that nite when I tore his pic. I was crying, more like wailing my heart out in my room alone in e wee hours of the morn when everyone was asleep. It was so painful. I loved him so much, with all my life.

He still calls me persistently of which I did not ans. He called me in e morn, at noon, at night, at e wee hours.... His calls just doesnt stop, like my tears. Mom said I wasnt my usual self. She was so upset n worried. I simply told her that I loved him so much.

His calls came in each day until I could not hold it longer. I longed to hear that voice. I answered. He wasnt his usual self. He sounded drunk and high. But he told me that he loved me, he needed me. And he wanted to hear me say I Love You. And when I didnt say it, he was a lil mad and told me with slurred speech that he is now with a woman..in bed. I knew it was a big fat lie. He was at home (he called me from his home phone) and no way he can bring a lady up as his family is living with him. I knw he was drunk and was just saying that to make me mad. I hung up to let him rest.

Then 1 day, on my way back from sch, I received a text from hubby (then). He got my number from F one day as F had given him to inform me that F's pc want working and that he is oversea. Hubby smsmed me that F was a drug addict and that he said I did not deserve e way F is treating me. I also got to know F had been in rehab twice before he met me. My hearts sank at that very moment. It was like my whole world came crashing down on me. My mind started to replay the times I had with F. My mind also flashed a vision of F with unkept hair. Suddenly it all made sense. The unkept hair, the MIA-ness, the lateness during our 1st meeting..... It hit me hard. MY FIRST LOVE IS A DRUG ADDICT. A DRUG ADDICT. AND I LOVE HIM.

Hubby told me that F doesnt know that he told me about F's dark side. I was sadden but deep down, I still loved him and in fact I feel like helping him. I wanted to b there to help him with this addiction.

And then, for e first time, I called a guy! I called F! I interrogated him and he was speechless. He was also mad that hubby told me about his dark side. He said hubby should not have done that. He did not admit despite me telling him in his face. I hung up.

Again, the separation was killing me. I missed him so badly. I find myself no longer mad at him, I just wanted to help him.

He called me one day as I was on my way home from the market alone. I sat below the blk to talk. I knew this was goin to b a long talk. He admitted to his drug addiction and that was the reason why he MIA-ed for some time. He did not have another woman. He loved me and that I was the first woman whom he had feelings for. He said he felt so comfortable with her despite our age gap. He said he is trying to cope with this addiction and its very hard. He kept insisting that his love for me never once change eventhough he is an addict. He said he wanted to b with me, have a family and grow old together. I could just cry and kept saying No... He pleaded, crying not to leave him,I could not say anything. I knew that he and I can never be together. My dad wont allow me to marry him. My dad will surely come to knw of his past even if I were to date him in future. My dad simply have his ways and connections.
In short, F isnt the kinda man my dad wud approve of. Period.

I was so shattered. I was confused. I loved a man so much and found out he is an addict. And I cant be with him. Dat was all in my mind.

Soon, I forced myself to move away from F. Afraid of my love for him. Hubby then befriended me. It all was so fast. Hubby and I dated for 3 mths. F got to know since e news of hubby dating me spread like wild fire at their kampong. F confronted hubby to leave his girl alone and that I'm his. F told hubby that he loved me.

It was too late, hubby and I were in a relationship. But I admit I still loved F deep in my heart. We will bump into each other in gatherings and F and I will be looking at each other from afar.....its like we were longing for each other.

F apologised to hubby, wished his luck and told him that I love watching the planes go by, so bring me to e airport to see it as F will never have e chance to..... Hubby told me this after we gt married...n it made me cry.

After 3 mths, hubby and I got married. It was all so fast. F attended the wedding. I never gt a chance to see him dat day. Better I guess, else I will cry. Hubby told me he shook hands with him and wished him luck.

F saw me pregnant after 6 mths of marriage and he smiled to me from afar. But I can see e sadness in his eyes. He patted hubby's shoulders n congratulated us. He told hubby while I was in e car that he wished to apologise to me as he had done me wrong in the past.... of which he did not have a chance to.

We gt our 1st princess and bumped into F one night at their kampong. F looked at our princess closely and smiled at me. We never spoke to this very day. Maybe cos hubby was there each time. But I knw we have so much to say.

Last yr Sep , hubby told me that F got into e priosn for herione addiction. His first time in prison as before was just rehab. Hubby told F was spotted with brusies in his neck and arms weeks just before he got caught. I was so shattered.

Now, going to Eunos, Im not even able to see F anymore as he is serving a long sentence, maybe another 3 or 4 more yrs. Before, F will always get to see us whenever we go there to vist mother in law from his balcony. Now even his balcony, HDB had bulit a partition, so I wont get to see F anymore. Unless if we bump into each other at Eunos.

It have been 4 yrs and I cant forget F. There will be times where I would cry and longing to hug him or hear his voice. It hurts so much that I can actually feel my chest is heavy. I still dream of him. And I still think of him randomly as life goes by... Just last evening, I missed him so badly that I cried.
I wanted to feel him again.

I love my hubby and family, and I know that hubby is a better man for me and for my future but... I just cant forget my first love. Maybe there wasnt a proper closure between me and F and I'm dangling here still.

F and hubby are no longer close as before eventhough they will talk whenever they bump into each other.

I know I will never forget F untill the day I die. I cant let go of what we had. I knew he loved me....I just can feel it. Strange, I still feel that he loves me still.

At times I just wish i could close my eyes and hug F even if its for e last time. I just want to hug him close and feel him close to me. I miss him so bad that it hurts.
Just keep it in your heart after this disclosure publicly anonymously.
If you keep dwelling on this, you will never be able to let go.
Get yourself occupied with things like playing with your kids and try to commit more to your hubby.

Slowly, F will be a memory... a fond memory that will accompany you till your last day. That's my five cent worth of advise.

nora23

Thanks mommies. This isnt easy but I will try slowly to forgo the past. F will always be a beautiful memory till my last days.

meiteoh

I remember my first love. In a way, it is a little like your story, Nora - except that we never met up for real and we didn't exactly live in the same country - he was an Italian and I was Malaysian. I was 17 and he was nearly 30. We started off with letters and as time and technology went on, it went to emails and photos. We even talked on the phone a few times but as time went on, it seemed as if things were going nowhere so it died down. He stopped replying to my emails and well, it was heartbreaking. Took me a while to adjust and I met or form other relationships since then but it wasn't the same as this one.

I never thought about him until I first met my hubby. The resemblence was striking between him and my hubby. So strikingly similar that I even had to dig out old letters and photos just to compare if what I thought was real. But then I was older and well, I told myself that what I had before was perhaps a school's girl's fantasy that never came true. So I did the next best thing - I got rid of all those letters (poems, stories, photographs) and photos (yes, I still kept them - I think I stashed them away for nearly 10 years). It was about time; I had to make way for new stuff to enter into my life and the only way to do that is to remove the trash. That was what someone told me when I first broke up with my ex - we all have to throw out stuff in order to make room for new things, otherwise we'd never have the chance to grow or change.

Till today, I'll still remember him fondly - he was the first who encouraged me to do many things creative (write, compose, etc). He was the first who educated me about other people's culture. He was the first who treated me like an equal despite our age difference (and occupation - he was, according to him and I actually checked it out, a production consultant (or something like that - been ages!) for a media corp in Italy and I was just a student). But that's all he'll ever be - another memory. And I'd rather make new ones with a living, flesh & blood man who has given me a lot since I met him - more than this old love ever would.

So I'm giving you the same advice.

You have a loving man with two loving daughters. You have a good life. Sure, F was something that happened in your life a long time ago - no one can ever deny that - but would he have been good for you? I don't think so. There is a reason as to why he is no longer part of your life and a good reason too. Don't dwell on school girl fantasies and what ifs.

Think of your first love fondly but don't start wishing that you want to hug him close and all that - that's the first step down a very slippery path which will only end up hurting your hubby.

jojoki

me too could never forget the person i fell in love with 15 years ago. eventually married my buddy. n i dunt know if i can ever forget him, maybe never.

momi

I'm sorry to hear about your problem :embarrassed: I can relate to you (although mine is only at the start) so you aren't alone in this. Let me share my story with you all.

I'm currently with my bf who I think is the one for me. He is very wise beyond his age, he teaches me so many things (from treating everybody as an equal, relationships between fellow people, to the nitty gritty things in life). I can share every of my problem with him because he will feel it as much as I do, analyse the situation and we can discuss on solutions to solve them. Even when my own family members say things that hurt me, he will reason out to me to forgive and forget. Although when I first knew him I didn't quite like him but all these 6 years, his actions and personality have made me grow very fond of him. Anyway, the problem now is my family. My family (including immediate members and extended relatives) is quite traditional. My family members think that their children must come home (I'm working abroad) to take care of them as they grow older. My parents also cannot accept a person of another race into their family. This is truly heartbreaking for me. About going back home, I had a good think about it and I can see their point. I have spoken to my bf and he has agreed that he will follow me to work in my home country if that's how my family feels. Unfortunately, my parents said they will not accept him. Now I'm beginning to prepare myself to think that me and my bf will have to separate soon (maybe next year). My bf still insists that he will prove to my family that he is a worthy man for me but I am growing tired of those treatment that I receive from my family each time I bring up this subject. I know I shouldn't feel that way since my bf is trying so hard but it is really sad to hear parents' negative opinions.

Anyway, recently when I was home for a holiday, my old school had a reunion gathering. This friend, we used to be each other's 1st love, has started to keep in touch again (nothing serious). He is single. I can sense that he still has something for me and has hinted several times to ask me to return home to work. He is also coming here to visit me soon. Although he is a wise and practical gentleman, of course the feelings aren't the same as with my bf who we have been through so much together. But everytime I think of the tough road ahead if I am to persist in the relationship with my bf, I just feel so tired and guilt towards my family. This 1st love, on the other hand, seems like a much less complicated choice. So I foresee that I might go through the same path as Nora in the future :(

diymummy

I'm sorry to hear about your problem :embarrassed: I can relate to you (although mine is only at the start) so you aren't alone in this. Let me share my story with you all.

I'm currently with my bf who I think is the one for me. He is very wise beyond his age, he teaches me so many things (from treating everybody as an equal, relationships between fellow people, to the nitty gritty things in life). I can share every of my problem with him because he will feel it as much as I do, analyse the situation and we can discuss on solutions to solve them. Even when my own family members say things that hurt me, he will reason out to me to forgive and forget. Although when I first knew him I didn't quite like him but all these 6 years, his actions and personality have made me grow very fond of him. Anyway, the problem now is my family. My family (including immediate members and extended relatives) is quite traditional. My family members think that their children must come home (I'm working abroad) to take care of them as they grow older. My parents also cannot accept a person of another race into their family. This is truly heartbreaking for me. About going back home, I had a good think about it and I can see their point. I have spoken to my bf and he has agreed that he will follow me to work in my home country if that's how my family feels. Unfortunately, my parents said they will not accept him. Now I'm beginning to prepare myself to think that me and my bf will have to separate soon (maybe next year). My bf still insists that he will prove to my family that he is a worthy man for me but I am growing tired of those treatment that I receive from my family each time I bring up this subject. I know I shouldn't feel that way since my bf is trying so hard but it is really sad to hear parents' negative opinions.

Anyway, recently when I was home for a holiday, my old school had a reunion gathering. This friend, we used to be each other's 1st love, has started to keep in touch again (nothing serious). He is single. I can sense that he still has something for me and has hinted several times to ask me to return home to work. He is also coming here to visit me soon. Although he is a wise and practical gentleman, of course the feelings aren't the same as with my bf who we have been through so much together. But everytime I think of the tough road ahead if I am to persist in the relationship with my bf, I just feel so tired and guilt towards my family. This 1st love, on the other hand, seems like a much less complicated choice. So I foresee that I might go through the same path as Nora in the future :(
Hi momi,

Sorry to hear of your predicament. But I feel, you should stand by your current bf. Well, I don't know the full story but from what I read, I feel that you should stand by him.

As for your first love, he may be a convenient choice but he may not be a right choice. Being with him might also put you under pressure by him and/or your family to tie the knot and have kids. Though you conform to their ideals and to the Singapore norm, you may not be happy.

I also believe mindsets can be changed even though it may be tough and take a long time.

True love goes through thick and thin and is not a fleeting emotion. It is hard work and is shown, more often than not, by actions.

nora23

I remember my first love. In a way, it is a little like your story, Nora - except that we never met up for real and we didn't exactly live in the same country - he was an Italian and I was Malaysian. I was 17 and he was nearly 30. We started off with letters and as time and technology went on, it went to emails and photos. We even talked on the phone a few times but as time went on, it seemed as if things were going nowhere so it died down. He stopped replying to my emails and well, it was heartbreaking. Took me a while to adjust and I met or form other relationships since then but it wasn't the same as this one.

I never thought about him until I first met my hubby. The resemblence was striking between him and my hubby. So strikingly similar that I even had to dig out old letters and photos just to compare if what I thought was real. But then I was older and well, I told myself that what I had before was perhaps a school's girl's fantasy that never came true. So I did the next best thing - I got rid of all those letters (poems, stories, photographs) and photos (yes, I still kept them - I think I stashed them away for nearly 10 years). It was about time; I had to make way for new stuff to enter into my life and the only way to do that is to remove the trash. That was what someone told me when I first broke up with my ex - we all have to throw out stuff in order to make room for new things, otherwise we'd never have the chance to grow or change.

Till today, I'll still remember him fondly - he was the first who encouraged me to do many things creative (write, compose, etc). He was the first who educated me about other people's culture. He was the first who treated me like an equal despite our age difference (and occupation - he was, according to him and I actually checked it out, a production consultant (or something like that - been ages!) for a media corp in Italy and I was just a student). But that's all he'll ever be - another memory. And I'd rather make new ones with a living, flesh & blood man who has given me a lot since I met him - more than this old love ever would.

So I'm giving you the same advice.

You have a loving man with two loving daughters. You have a good life. Sure, F was something that happened in your life a long time ago - no one can ever deny that - but would he have been good for you? I dont't think so. There is a reason as to why he is no longer part of your life and a good reason too. dont't dwell on school girl fantasies and what ifs.

Think of your first love fondly but dont't start wishing that you want to hug him close and all that - that's the first step down a very slippery path which will only end up hurting your hubby.

Thks Eva. Appreacite the story u shared. Its true, it was a schgirl dream that never came true.

momi

Hi momi,

Sorry to hear of your predicament. But I feel, you should stand by your current bf. Well, I dont't know the full story but from what I read, I feel that you should stand by him.

As for your first love, he may be a convenient choice but he may not be a right choice. Being with him might also put you under pressure by him and/or your family to tie the knot and have kids. Though you conform to their ideals and to the Singapore norm, you may not be happy.

I also believe mindsets can be changed even though it may be tough and take a long time.

True love goes through thick and thin and is not a fleeting emotion. It is hard work and is shown, more often than not, by actions.
Hi diymummy, thank you for your opinion. Yes you're right in saying that it is true love between my bf and I because I believe through these years I have seen the true him and have learnt to love his positive as well as his negative traits. But it really hurts me everytime I hear my family insisting on how they don't like him. The truth is they have not even met him and refuse to. From the very beginning I have wanted to come clean with them but they would not even listen. 6 years have passed and their prejudice is still as strong as ever. My bf is aware of all this because I never hide anything from him. Yet whenever there's a family issue, he is the one telling me not to be troubled and that we (him and I) will work hard to take care of my parents in future. This hurts even more. All I can say is with my current bf, we are very open about any problem, we let it out, reason, discuss and solve. And for me, that's the kind of relationship I seek which unfortunately is hard to come by.

diymummy

Hi momi,

All the more you shouldn't give it up...

Your family is traditional. My hubby's cousins, they married foreigners much to the displeasure of their parents. But they are doing fine now and the foreigners are trying hard to pick up mandarin to communicate with the in-laws.

I think your family might have fears of communication and they also might have the perspective that foreigners are unfilial. I'm sure if their fears are alayed that they will learn to accept your bf.

It's easy for me to say maybe because I am not in your situation. But I'm rooting for you! Don't give up!

momi

Hi momi,

All the more you shouldn't give it up...

Your family is traditional. My hubby's cousins, they married foreigners much to the displeasure of their parents. But they are doing fine now and the foreigners are trying hard to pick up mandarin to communicate with the in-laws.

I think your family might have fears of communication and they also might have the perspective that foreigners are unfilial. I'm sure if their fears are alayed that they will learn to accept your bf.

It's easy for me to say maybe because I am not in your situation. But I'm rooting for you! dont't give up!
:tlaugh: thank you thank you diymummy.

All this time also I have not thought of giving up but the recent months I have. I am tired of having to cook up excuses to my parents whenever him and I are out. I used to tell them the truth but it became so big issues that my parents say they will fly over and do this or that until I am so sick of it that I eventually tell lies to them whenever I go out with him. Plus since then, they always interrogate me like anything whenever I am out, such as with who? are you sure not with him? SIGH! Don't think it's communication problem because my parents speak fluent English so can definitely communicate with my bf. More to do with face value I think, they cannot take it that their son-in-law is non-Chinese and what is so and so going to say if they see that. SIGH! Worse thing is I have cousins working here as well and it makes things worse that they tell their family they saw me with my bf. Those aunts go and tell my parents and add on more of their prejudice opinions SIGHHHH! Parents call me straightaway and nag/scold. Really want to give up on everything. Work also so stressful, now this.

diymummy

Hmm.. Maybe can have a heart to heart talk with your parents? Is their face value more important than their daughter's happiness?