An excited father to be

jiannshan

Hi all,

my wife and i recently discovered that she is pregnant n im utterly excited about it. i have heard comments about the 'volatility' of ladies in their first trimester and how careful they have to be. may i know what are the things my wife and i have to look out for? would appreciate your valuable comments in here.

cheers

lynnliew

-do not carry heavy things
-have plenty of rest
-keep physical & mental healthy
-dun eat too 'liang' food liek green bean soup etc
-eat de supplement gynae give eg)folic acid/multi-vic
-eat more healthy food as lst 3 mths very impt for organ development
-drink milk

homer23

In terms of food/supplement, folic acid is very important. Once a day.
No need to be too concern about amount of food intake now. She may not have the appetite anyway. Quality, and not quantity, of fetal growth is more important in 1st trimester.
Many online resources available for reading up too.
Enjoy your parenthood.

janalee

Congrats! I'm in my first trimester myself and these are what the folks been telling me:

- no climbing of ladders/chairs etc.
- avoid cooling stuffs
- no carrying of heavy stuffs
- very impt: do not handle sharp objects

Eliza

Congratulations! First trimester, the fetus is not absorbing much. So indeed it's quality vs quantity.
- Less liver (if she's eating any - high in Vitamin A)
- No large fish (swordfish, mackeral, white snapper - high in mercury not good for baby's brain development)
- Take Vite C (children's dosage is fine or about 500mg)
- Do not take heavy items
- Rest more. Only start doing exercise after first trimester and when gynae give the green light

Basically, eat and do everything in moderation.

lsy

Congrats. I have suggested some key words for u to read up. Most men couldn't be bothered and wife are the one reading up that's y u see there's a mummysg and yet to have daddysg haha.
Father-to-be need to read up more on natural birthing, water birth, hypno birth, breastfeeding, bottle rejection, nipple confusion, colostrum, jaundice, Introducing solid, schedule feed vs demand feed, cluster feeding, growth spurt.

lsy

As for hear say comments or Chinese pantang , u may have heard about do not announce to friends of the good news prior to 3 months. Immediate family member is fine.
If ur wife is working make sure she is not feeling stressful.

pocus2000

Congrats. I have suggested some key words for you to read up. Most men couldn't be bothered and wife are the one reading up that's y you see there's a mummysg and yet to have daddysg haha.
Father-to-be need to read up more on natural birthing, water birth, hypno birth, breastfeeding, bottle rejection, nipple confusion, colostrum, jaundice, Introducing solid, schedule feed vs demand feed, cluster feeding, growth spurt.
I'm a first time dad and I dont't agree fully. Guys work differently and we are more concerned of the overall well being of the mother and baby instead of the nitty gritty details....Anyway we are treated more more like ATM machines .

But having said that, the new-aged fathers are starting to get more involved.. BTW you "keyword" seemed abit too "advanced" for fathers still struggling with 1st trimester with their wife.

Back to topic... My wifey on her 1st and starting to go full-onset to morning sickness. I'd like her to drink milk but she seemed cannot take the smell and taste....how huh? Currently I gave her Milo instead but know it's not ideal.

What can she take to replace milk? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

hwaa

seems quite limited on choices. my wife also mostly drink milk or milo.

it'll be better path forward to 2nd trime, during first trime my wife frequent vomits and even went for a jab.

now 2nd trime, its a little bit better..

msck

Well... At least she can take milo. I only drank.ribenna n milo in first trimester. I couldn't take plain water...

Anyway, from my exp daddy should take note of these..
1) mummy's hip may be expanding. Thus painful. Do help her get up the chair or bed. Cushions massage help.
2) mummy also will exp leg aching cos of the pain from the hip. Massage n make sure rest well.
3) i think theres no restriction to diet as long as everything moderate. No coffee n tea. No raw food like salmon though. So u should still pamper her n urself by bringing her out for dinner or desserts.
4) show love and care everyday. Esp some mummies get increasingly upset with losin hair, losing figure...
5) bring her out to buy clothes. Dun be surprised yo see ur wife sobbing in the room infront of wardrob. We get upset often becoz alot of clothes cannot wear. =( so be prepared.

All in all, congratz!

hwaa

Congrats. I have suggested some key words for u to read up. Most men couldn't be bothered and wife are the one reading up that's y u see there's a mummysg and yet to have daddysg haha.
dun be surprised, there are quite a number of daddys camping here as well..

MamabbJ

Congrats to all new dads and mums!

For mummies who can't take plain milk, perhaps can try the following:

1) Adding Milo or Horlicks into the milk...Or make a smoothie, add yoghurt or some blended fruits to make the milk drink more palatable.
2) Try flavoured fresh milk eg. chocolate, strawberry, etc.
3) High calcium soy bean milk
4) Eat other dairy products like cheese, yoghurt or take Calcium supplements if you fear you may lack the necessary nutrients from milk.

lyra

If u r confused abt key words, read up Kelly mom website n sign up for parenting classes offered by the hospital. The one by mount Alvernia was great n fun for hubby n I! no matter how much u read up abt breastfeeding n parenting, when the real thing comes, it'll be different from what u've prepared for. So be flexible n be supportive to mommy :)

xnasxrushx

my wife n i was just at KKH, checkup and ultrascan at 10 wks 5 days... saw the bb tiny shape and all. so happy that i teared...

Hikari

xnasxrushx:Congrats to you and ur wifey!I rmb when I found out I was preggy my Hub was soo excited.Dragged me off to buy baby name books to look at names for baby.We are a very young couple though so we did not have plans for a baby but still feel so excited and looking forward to see our son in Jan(im 30wks now)And he is complaining why there isnt a daddy forum in Singapore..he says he feels so left out.He is actually more kanchiong while Im more the bo chup type..he is always reading up on pregnancy and he banned me frm eating raw food like sushi/sashmi/half boiled eggs and even spicy food cos he read somewhere its no gd for baby.I feel like he thinks more than me.Im delievering at KKH too cos my Hub is in the civil service,thus lots of subsidy there!Your wife is so lucky to have a thoughtful hubby like u,jy on ur journey towards parenthood tgt!

pocus2000

Hikari,

Tell your hubby he's not alone. I too find this place too "girly" too but at least it got good info. And like you, this baby is more like a God's gift than a planned thing, so we're glad but abit worried due to our age.

Anyway stay positive and await your new addition to the family!

LilMissy

It's amazing how most people think that the MTBs are the more excited ones, but it seems like the FTBs are the ones who are way more excited. Expecting my first, my hubby is really way more excited than me. He has started thinking of names for the baby. And 'restrict' my caffeine intake totally. On the other hand, it makes me feel loves and him being so involved. :)