Antibiotics

veronica

My gal of 6mths was prescribed with antibiotics as most of the medicines didnt help her clear her cough/running nose and phelgm.

Anyone's bb as young as mine also took antibiotics already?

I was a little worry since she is quite young but on the other hand, this is the only hope to see her recover. (And I hope she will if not I wont know what to do already)

Dr said its safe though..

diymummy

My son has been taking antibiotics. Abt 3-4 times already. He's more frequently on Zithromax. And he tried Klacid once.

It is completely safe as long as you complete the course of medication.

Some forms of antibiotics (like Augmentin) can cause diarrhea or runny stools. It is ok but you must hydrate your baby well.

It really depends what is causing the cough in your child. If it is viral, antibiotics will be of little help. Even so, if you start, you must complete the course.

Ting

since the doc say its safe, then go ahead.
if not safe, why would the doc prescribed to u in the first place?
if u dun trust the doc, then why in the first place seek medical advice from the doc?

antibiotics is for bacterial infection, not for flu virus, since your DD has a cough n phlegm, prob she also has a bad throat n might be caused by bacterial infection, thus the reason why the doc prescribed the antibiotics.

reason being why the doc might prescribed antibiotic is cos, the bacteria infection can recover by itself without antibiotics, BUT it might stil be present after recovery n then manifest again within a short time n caused another infection.thus, with the help of antibiotics, all bacteria is killed.
but the thing abt antibiotics is that it cant differentiate what is bad or good bacteria, it just kills all, thats why some ppl is against taking antibiotics.

for babies, iirc, doc shld calculate arnd 5 days dosage for them, not neccessary must finish the course. when pin was younger, she didnt hv to complete the course, just need to take for 5 days then can discard. but now tt she is older (3yo) she must complete the course if she is given antibiotics.

Last edited:

apollo

ds 1st took antibiotic when he was 2mths old =( cos he has bronchitis.. aft keep having bronchitis BUT i brought him bk to his pd instead of the 1st giving him antibiotic. his pd DID NOT prescribe him any antibiotic at all.. but since ur baby cant recover aft taking so many medi, and doc reco so, den shd be okay..

diymummy

Yes.. Agree with Ting.

Let me clarify when I said complete the course means if doc say eat for 5 days, to eat all 5 days and not stop short, like what Ting also mentioned.

Complete the course doesn't mean finish the whole bottle.

veronica

Actually hor...we requested for antibiotics la cos its taking too long to recover. The Dr agreed too.

Apollo, did your boy had reoccurence again after been down with bronchitis?

apollo

Actually ...we requested for antibiotics cos its taking too long to recover. The Dr agreed too.

Apollo, did your boy had reoccurence again after been down with bronchitis?
ermm actu during 2 to nearly 5mths old, he had bronchitis MANY times.. cough(bronchitis) and all takes 1 week recover, 2-3 days, come bk again.. sometimes 1-2 weeks come bk.. tt's y nowadays i so scare when he coughs, even is those choke-cough i alos will jump ard at hm.. haha

veronica

ermm actually during 2 to nearly 5mths old, he had bronchitis MANY times.. cough(bronchitis) and all takes 1 week recover, 2-3 days, come back again.. sometimes 1-2 weeks come back.. that's y nowadays i so scare when he coughs, even is those choke-cough i alos will jump around at hm.. haha
Do you standby cough medicine at home or you bring him to see PD each time his cough comes again?

Very siong leh...just her illness alone, i have spent more than 1k going up and down to the PD clinic...

apollo

Do you standby cough medicine at home or you bring him to see pediatrician each time his cough comes again?

Very siong ...just her illness alone, i have spent more than 1k going up and down to the pediatrician clinic...
ds has spent 2K+ nearly 3K on all these! not include his vaccinations.. =(

yes we have medi at hm.. if medi finish, we will buy from pd's clinic to stock up.. cos usually my pd's nurses will tell us to self medicate ds 1st for ard 2-3 days b4 we decide to bring him to the clinic.. =)

Ting

even if they take antibiotics, the bacterial infection will still come back if u dont take care well bahs.
esp if immune is weak, sure to come back n say hi to u.

veronica

dear son has spent 2K+ nearly 3K on all these! not include his vaccinations.. =(

yes we have medi at hm.. if medi finish, we will buy from pediatrician's clinic to stock up.. cos usually my pediatrician's nurses will tell us to self medicate dear son 1st for around 2-3 days before we decide to bring him to the clinic.. =)
what medicine you stock ah? can share..

Which PD clinic you go to?

apollo

even if they take antibiotics, the bacterial infection will still come back if you dont take care well bahs.
esp if immune is weak, sure to come back n say hi to you.
yup i agree.. if ur baby's immune system is low, must take good care of her, esp during that few weeks aft she recovers =)

Ting

i usually wont recommend stocking up or perhaps not too much, cos most meds can only be kept for abt 6 mths max.

stonston

For young babies it's better to do a culture test to see what infection it is before starting antibiotics. Different type of antibiotics work differently on different bacteria. Knowing the bacteria would mean finding the most suitable antibiotic. This means the course will be more effective than randomly prescribing a general one.

So far my boy took antibiotics twice & both times a swab culture was done.