Any Idea Why Some Babies Past Their EDD

Hi mummies / to be

I understand from baby websites that only 5% of babies are born near or on their EDD, with the remaining about 40-45% 2 weeks before and 50% 1-2 weeks after. Usually, those full-term (after 37 weeks) but before 40 weeks are also very healthy but mummies just got contractions earlier or water bag broke and etc.

I was just wondering why some babies come out earlier and and some babies simply past their EDD??

Any input will be great! Thanks in adv. :001_302:

Phoebii Cheng

Mine came out 2 weeks early cos' placenta seperated from bb.....

I asked my gynae too why like tht, but she say she oso cannot pinpoint the real reason, she say this condition usually happens to mummies who smoke and drink...but I dont, so????

As to why some bbs come out earlier and some later, I also want to know but most older generation like my mum and in law, says for 1st child mostly will come out 1 to 2 wks earlier, whereas for 2nd child is the edd date......

But my guess is due to the calculation of the edd by the gynae

shiyi

some bbs cant wait to come out and see the world..
while others find mama womb too comfy dun wan come out :eek:

Mine came out 2 weeks early cos' placenta seperated from baby.....

I asked my gynae too why like tht, but she say she also cannot pinpoint the real reason, she say this condition usually happens to mummies who smoke and drink...but I dont, so????

As to why some bbs come out earlier and some later, I also want to know but most older generation like my mum and in law, says for 1st child mostly will come out 1 to 2 wks earlier, whereas for 2nd child is the edd date......

But my guess is due to the calculation of the edd by the gynae
We had been planning for the baby so I monitored very closely my period / ovulation dates. My guess is my EDD should be fairly accurate. If I dont deliver by this weekend, dont know what to think? My gynae always says encouraging (not necessarily full story) things only. Well, maybe I shud not be too bothered as long as there are no complications :001_302:

shiyi

alot factors ba..like if having sex in last tri will oso induce labour..
sometimes when doc does the dilation check will also stretch the cervix abit to quicken the labour

ping26

I think most gynae give the EDD based on 28-day menstrual cycle.

I have a 32-35 day cycle. Baby popped 8 days after EDD.

other reason:
I didn't have any sign of labour (not even a Braxton hicks), so I was induced 6 days post EDD.

Not to worry, just make sure u have good rest & hope u have a smooth delivery!

Ting

agree, EDD is not accurate.
its just an estimation, gotta depend on your menstural cycle, even if it is regular cos cant give exact date.
if it is irregular, the doc cant guage arnd which few days u might hv conceived.

ilovemilk

Just like different babies are born with a different weight, length etc, some babies will be born early and others will be born late, even if the calculation of your EDD is accurate.

As long as the baby is born between 37 and 42 weeks, it's normal. =)

NIisme

ppl like me will be more troublesome.
cos i went for my 1st check up at very late stage.
=)
EDD sure not accurate for me.
my own workplace's(working in a clinic) doctor told me that i maybe 1month different.
Zzz.

cmeilim

ppl like me will be more troublesome.
cos i went for my 1st check up at very late stage.
=)
EDD sure not accurate for me.
my own workplace's(working in a clinic) doctor told me that i maybe 1month different.
Zzz.
so if went for 1st check up very late, will the EDD be too early or later?

i went for first check-up during my 11th week and my boy was 9 days past EDD. Not that we minded cos it gave us more time to catch the movies we wanted to! =p