any mummy to be in KL?

Renzie

joycie,

yupyup baby can get passport at birth. no problem.
I think it should be fine to deliver in malaysia, you could try for the last trimester to do your check ups at the malaysia hospital, as least you'll know the service and the gynae better.

karra

Really need to compare. certain things are cheaper in malaysia, and certain things are cheaper in s'pore. But for Singapore, I usually do my shopping when there's baby fair at the Expo or at taka.

kaerb

Hi everyone.. We were actually planning on applying social visit pass for our baby since we are going to stay in KL permanently but baby has Singapore nationality / passport. If can really apply for both citizenship.. then I'm curious as to which passport will the baby use when he travels if he has 2 passports, Singapore & Malaysia?

jiajia

I am also singaporean married to a malaysian. I was wondering if life in KL and singapore simplier? My hubby keep bugging me to move to KL with him as he is really sick in singapore life. Now i am preggy with no. 2. Actually I don't mind, but i am just afraid of the education system there for my children. Also i used to stay in Johore for a few months, but i really can't use to the life there. I know if i need to go shopping all these I need to have transport and I can't drive. I can only rely on taxi when my hubby not around. so that worries me too. Singaporean mummy who stay there, can advise me how's the life difference between SG n KL. Do you drive aroudn yourself? I am afraid only on my childs education and transportation wise. Just like in SG, i can go anywhere with public transport easily and safely. Is it the same in KL?

kaerb

Hi there.. KL traffic is really terrible and the public transportation is not reliable. Personally, I am afraid to take the taxis even coz you hear of so much horror storries.. If you can't drive in KL, I think you might be quite limited in your movement .. end up you will be quite bored. Even if you master the art of driving in KL.. you might be stressed out over the terrible congestion 24/7 and the roads changes every other day.. But end of the day, its your choice.. there are plenty of good international schools in KL and even a national school is not too bad considering that the children get to study B.M. which is an additional language.. I like staying here, maybe because I have been here for the last 10 years and I have gotten used to the laid back life and the good food here..

jiajia

Hi there.. KL traffic is really terrible and the public transportation is not reliable. Personally, I am afraid to take the taxis even coz you hear of so much horror storries.. If you can't drive in KL, I think you might be quite limited in your movement .. end up you will be quite bored. Even if you master the art of driving in KL.. you might be stressed out over the terrible congestion 24/7 and the roads changes every other day.. But end of the day, its your choice.. there are plenty of good international schools in KL and even a national school is not too bad considering that the children get to study B.M. which is an additional language.. I like staying here, maybe because I have been here for the last 10 years and I have gotten used to the laid back life and the good food here..
I see, so i guess u must be driving. That's the problem when i can't drive around, if the traffic is so bad, i guess i rather dun drive.....then i can't bring my children out when my hubby not around.....sigh....

Renzie

It's better to drive in KL.

Education system in KL is quite good, they have number of international schools and national schools available there as well.

jiajia

It's better to drive in KL.

Education system in KL is quite good, they have number of international schools and national schools available there as well.
So i assume that all SG mummy who stay there does drive? hmmm, maybe i should get my driving license first in SG b4 shifting there.......

Is the city safe?

jiajia

So, JiaJia, u planning to move to KL or deliver your baby in SG?
hmm, me now preggy, so i will delivered here first.

I am not sure to go or not to go KL, cos i had stay in Johore b4 for a few mth, and i feel very bored n depressed. I missed my family, cos i offen go shopping with them as n when i like and i dun drive i use public transport.....My hubby keep telling to move there so that he could start afresh there. He is not getting anywhere here in SG....i am very scare to move there.........

Renzie

winsicca

hehe, not sure, I had friends from KL who studied in the international/private/national schools there, they did pretty well in their studies as well as in the overseas universities which they had later on proceed, thus I felt that the education system there is pretty good. Also as KL has quite a variety of schools to choose from.

I have no faith in the neighboring schools in my area though. hubby's brother language skills are all half past six, plus it seems as if the school have holidays or end classes early whenever they like with reasons like"principal retiring so teachers throwing a party so no class" (and that happen in 2 consecutive days in a row!)

jiajia
I don't drive. haha, wanted to learn but no time, then got pregnant and hubby got worried, now DD is out even worse. Plus I think a part of him rather that I don't drive, he's worried about my driving skills and other drivers' skills. haha.

I understand how you feel regarding being able to go out as and when you like wherever you like. Because I'm like that in SG as well. If I'm bored and feel like going out, just off I go, but in MY without being able to drive means I'll need to wait til someone is free to send me there, which is very inconvenient.

Think you can learn driving in MY? Try to find a learning centre that allows you to take the test in English. Plus it cheaper and should be easier to pass than SG(?) At least that's what my friends tell me.

Last edited:

winsicca

I think even if we pass our driving test in SG, we must convert our license to international driving license then can drive in M'sia right?

Otherwise, from what I know, u can only drive SG cars if u r holding SG driving license.

Relatively, I also find baby stuff cheaper in SG than in KL! E.g a Bumbo seat in SG costs ard S$50, whereas in KL, I saw the price was RM$200.. So must really do homework in buying baby stuff...

jiajia

winsicca

hehe, not sure, I had friends from KL who studied in the international/private/national schools there, they did pretty well in their studies as well as in the overseas universities which they had later on proceed, thus I felt that the education system there is pretty good. Also as KL has quite a variety of schools to choose from.

I have no faith in the neighboring schools in my area though. hubby's brother language skills are all half past six, plus it seems as if the school have holidays or end classes early whenever they like with reasons like"principal retiring so teachers throwing a party so no class" (and that happen in 2 consecutive days in a row!)

jiajia
I don't drive. haha, wanted to learn but no time, then got pregnant and hubby got worried, now DD is out even worse. Plus I think a part of him rather that I don't drive, he's worried about my driving skills and other drivers' skills. haha.

I understand how you feel regarding being able to go out as and when you like wherever you like. Because I'm like that in SG as well. If I'm bored and feel like going out, just off I go, but in MY without being able to drive means I'll need to wait til someone is free to send me there, which is very inconvenient.

Think you can learn driving in MY? Try to find a learning centre that allows you to take the test in English. Plus it cheaper and should be easier to pass than SG(?) At least that's what my friends tell me.
i see, so u dun drive also....but don feel bored to stay at home whole day. plus u have friends staying there? like last time, i used to stay there, but i knew no one there....

do you feel safe staying in KL if go out with kids. how long u been staying there? don't u miss ur family and how offen u visit them? sorry for my so many qns. :p

jiajia

I think even if we pass our driving test in SG, we must convert our license to international driving license then can drive in M'sia right?

Otherwise, from what I know, u can only drive SG cars if u r holding SG driving license.

Relatively, I also find baby stuff cheaper in SG than in KL! E.g a Bumbo seat in SG costs ard S$50, whereas in KL, I saw the price was RM$200.. So must really do homework in buying baby stuff...
Baby stuff which made in Msia should be cheaper bah, as far as i know, i find that imported goods are surely more exp than in SG. Like Maclaren stroller selling there is like 30% more ex than in what SG selling.

Anyway, diaper, milk powder are still cheaper than in SG.... :)

kaerb

There's many international schools here which are good.. like Garden International. As for other things.. its pros and cons la.. some things are better in Singapore, some are better in Malaysia.. its a matter of getting used to I supposed.. I've been here for 10 years.. gotten used to most of the things here.. what I like about KL is probably everything is very do-able.. means, processes and rules dun mean anything.. if you get my drift.. so certain things can get done very fast without going through the proper way.. hehe..

Security wise.. Most neighbourhoods are gated ones already.. you pay a small fee for the monthly security services.. I personally havent been mugged nor robbed before in my entire time here but I hear of friends who have been.. so you do have to be extra vigilant when going out..

Shopping.. I agree Singapore is mostly cheaper and better.. especially for the imported stuff.. but I think milk powder is cheaper here .. my cousin sister always get us to buy for her to bring back to Singapore..

As for driving license.. I got mine in Malaysia.. I took the theory test in English as I appealed that I was a foreigner so I couldnt take it in their national language.. but for the practical test.. unfortunately.. despite me trying to explain to the Malay examiner that I can't understand Malay.. he continued to give me instructions in Malay.. which was soooo frustrating.. end up I failed the test first time round.. coz I couldnt understand what he was trying to say.. 2nd time only I passed.. But if you decide to take Singapore license also its ok.. coz you can drive in malaysia in a Malaysia registered car with a Singapore license... my Mom is doing so.. and when she got stopped for speeding or traffic obstruction and she showed her Singapore license, the Malaysia police say its ok, they recognise Singapore driving license.. But take note.. you cannot drive a Malaysia registered car in Singapore if you are a Singaporean and hold the license.. my mom got summon twice by Singapore.. they threaten jail time for 3rd offence.. so she eventually got a Singapore registered car..

Anyways.. hope this helps.. I'm waiting for my baby to come out.. EDD is 12th Jan.. delivering in TMC... if you guys have any questions regarding KL.. do let me know see if I can help...

jiajia

There's many international schools here which are good.. like Garden International. As for other things.. its pros and cons la.. some things are better in Singapore, some are better in Malaysia.. its a matter of getting used to I supposed.. I've been here for 10 years.. gotten used to most of the things here.. what I like about KL is probably everything is very do-able.. means, processes and rules dun mean anything.. if you get my drift.. so certain things can get done very fast without going through the proper way.. hehe..

Security wise.. Most neighbourhoods are gated ones already.. you pay a small fee for the monthly security services.. I personally havent been mugged nor robbed before in my entire time here but I hear of friends who have been.. so you do have to be extra vigilant when going out..

Shopping.. I agree Singapore is mostly cheaper and better.. especially for the imported stuff.. but I think milk powder is cheaper here .. my cousin sister always get us to buy for her to bring back to Singapore..

As for driving license.. I got mine in Malaysia.. I took the theory test in English as I appealed that I was a foreigner so I couldnt take it in their national language.. but for the practical test.. unfortunately.. despite me trying to explain to the Malay examiner that I can't understand Malay.. he continued to give me instructions in Malay.. which was soooo frustrating.. end up I failed the test first time round.. coz I couldnt understand what he was trying to say.. 2nd time only I passed.. But if you decide to take Singapore license also its ok.. coz you can drive in malaysia in a Malaysia registered car with a Singapore license... my Mom is doing so.. and when she got stopped for speeding or traffic obstruction and she showed her Singapore license, the Malaysia police say its ok, they recognise Singapore driving license.. But take note.. you cannot drive a Malaysia registered car in Singapore if you are a Singaporean and hold the license.. my mom got summon twice by Singapore.. they threaten jail time for 3rd offence.. so she eventually got a Singapore registered car..

Anyways.. hope this helps.. I'm waiting for my baby to come out.. EDD is 12th Jan.. delivering in TMC... if you guys have any questions regarding KL.. do let me know see if I can help...
wow kaerb, thks for these info. So, sounds like you are going to stay there permanently yeah? I am still unsure to go or not to go. I am afraid i can't get used to the life style there and mostly becos of family members all here. I am scare of lonliness. lol

Renzie

haha Nappy diaper is cheaper in MY. As for forumla milk ...yes it's cheaper than in SG but then sometimes for the same brand and same stage and ingredients are slightly different. And sometimes for the same brand, it might be manufactured or packaged in different countries. Example, S26, I think for SG its packaged in Sweden(?) and for MY its packaged in MY itself(?) can't remember really, it's been a while since I used S26.

Yeah if you have a malaysian driving license and want to drive a SG registered car, you can opt for an international driving license or to convert back to SG when you are back here? Hubby had some malaysian friends working in SG who had done so.

I'm not based in KL, I'm in malacca. My friends are mainly in KL. I do get bored staying at home, but had learn to occupy myself, especially when you have a baby crawling around, you sometimes have no time to think about too much things. And I tend to run up a huge bill doing online shopping instead. haha.

I do miss my family so I try to go back once every few months (that's before I got pregnant) now with DD, I try to go back every 1-2 months. In KL more convenient, you can take flights which usually take about an hour. In malacca have to rely on hubby driving back.

kaerb

hehe.. actually I don't really trust the hospitals here.. so for every medical treatment I still go back to Singapore to do it.. I do want to come back to Singapore .. but need to wait for hubby to be ready.. coz he's still building up his career in KL.. so not fair to force him to go back to Singapore just because I want to..

its a big decision deciding where to settle down.. but its good experience.. having lived in different places before.. good exposure for kids too..

Mummy to Baby V

Wow, this thread is suddenly so active! I've been here since pregnancy, so that's almost 3 years. I've a S'pore driving license, but very inconfident driver, so has yet to drive in KL. I'd probably force myself to do so when son goes to school.

Transport is very inconvenient compared to Singapore, since there's no nearby train station. I won't dare to take the bus cos of security concerns. Family friend got robbed in broad daylight along the street. So during the week, I occupy myself with son at home. We do home-learning activities and play together a lot. Luckily we live with hubby's extended family, so can interact with them during meal-times.

As for education, we're attending Shichida classes weekly. It's very good, should be same as Singapore's Shichida centre, managed by same principal.

International schools cost a bomb, averaging RM1500/mth per child, from primary to secondary school!!! That's today's fees in an average international school, EXCLUDING inflation. More premium / branded schools can cost RM30-50,000 a year per child. And the standard may not be as good as Singapore's top secondary schools, where hubby & I attended.

For primary school, we're considering Chinese national schools. Standard is rather high and fees are at national rates.

From secondary school onwards, we're considering letting them study in Singapore.

Anyway, we'd reconsider again as the time nears.