Any other methods to give medicine to your child?

Phoebii Cheng

Hi mummies,

Was wondering if you know of any method of giving medicine to your toddlers? Recently, my son had flu & cough, at first when we gave him medicine it was ok then recent 2 days, he so clever, everytime we give him, he would put his teeth to his lips to block, either tht or he has oso learnt to gag and vomit out the medicine.....

We tried force & soft method (coaxing) but it did not work...hope u mummies can help

Thanks....

diymummy

Hi Phoebii mummy,

When my son rejects his medication, I will mix it into his milk. I will make lesser milk so that we will finish the whole amount. Eg, if he always drink 120ml at one go, I will make it to 60ml then add the medication. (Coz when he is sick, he always cannot finish 120ml at one go)

The other way is to mix it into his cereal or porridge. I will apportion one small portion of porridge out then mix in the medicine and finish feeding that portion first.

Hope your ds gets well soon. Take care of yourself too.

Justina

Hi mummies,

Was wondering if you know of any method of giving medicine to your toddlers? Recently, my son had flu & cough, at first when we gave him medicine it was ok then recent 2 days, he so clever, everytime we give him, he would put his teeth to his lips to block, either tht or he has also learnt to gag and vomit out the medicine.....

We tried force & soft method (coaxing) but it did not work...hope you mummies can help

Thanks....
Hi Phoebii,

Yes, i agree with you. It is not easy to feed toddlers medicine. Especially we have to do it few times a day and we get tired if toddler is not co-operative.

I invite you to read my blog on the method i used and hope it will help you.

http://mumsafari.blogspot.com/2010/03/fuss-free-feeding-toddler-medicine.html

Would like to know your outcome too.

Take care.

Last edited:

Phoebii Cheng

Hi diymummy,

Thanks for your advice, I have tried tht method, but my son now knows when I put medicine in his milk or food....thus whenever I give him lesser milk, he don't want to drink or finish his milk.....

I am at my wits end...don't know of any other method

diymummy

Hi Phoebii mummy, when all else fails. Force-feed.

That's what we resort to doing when really try all methods and none work. We take the dropper, lock him down (hubby lock him down), then I squeeze his mouth open and feed.

That time when I was at my PD he said also got this mother cannot feed the antibiotic to the toddler. The PD say no choice, you must think of a way to get it down him. So the mother threatened the boy. She told the boy "If you don't eat the medicine, I will leave you at the hospital". Then the boy guai guai eat the medicine.

Phoebii Cheng

Hi mumsafari,

I oso tried the method that is in your blog, but the moment he saw the syringe, he would struggle let alone let the syringe anywhere near his mouth....

I oso tried giving the 5ml dosage 3times...but all he managed to gag & vomit it out.........:Dancing_sad:

Phoebii Cheng

My boy is strong willed, mayb try the threaten method tonight and see how....

We tried force feed last night, he gagged again, thts why hubby soft hearted say don't force, later at night got nightmare....

DodoTan

My son won't take the medicine from a spoon or a syringe. But if I put it in a little cup and pretend that it's a treat, he'll eagerly drink it all and ask for more. But that's cos my son likes cups and enjoys drinking from them like us. Maybe you could try that?

Phoebii Cheng

Ya mayb I will try tht....hungry then give him the milk....:tlaugh:

DodoTan: my hubby tried tht last night, he don't like too, tht's why ran out of ideas oredi....

camom

When all fails, I resort to this. Very heartpain. Warning - very cruel mtd.

I will pinch my kid's nose, got to breathe so she has to open the mouth. Once mouth is open, quickly release the syringeful of med into the mouth and release the pinching. Voila, med will be swallowed cos need to swallow before she can scream and cry.

apollo

when ds refuse his medi, i will put the medi in a spoon, den he will tot is his food and open his mouth v big. once he open his mouth, we will not hesitate to pour the medi into his mouth.. hehe..

Phoebii Cheng

When all fails, I resort to this. Very heartpain. Warning - very cruel mtd.

I will pinch my kid's nose, got to breathe so she has to open the mouth. Once mouth is open, quickly release the syringeful of med into the mouth and release the pinching. Voila, med will be swallowed cos need to swallow before she can scream and cry.

Hi camom,

I cannot use this, my hubby will say me v cruel...I oso thot of tht, but more heartpain to see my son sick....

How to persuade my hubby to use this method?

Phoebii Cheng

when dear son refuse his medi, i will put the medi in a spoon, then he will thought is his food and open his mouth very big. once he open his mouth, we will not hesitate to pour the medi into his mouth.. hehe..
Hi apollo,

Hmm my son is smart, before he take something, must see first what is tht before open mouth.....:tlaugh:

Your son so good readily open mouth let u feed

apollo

Hi apollo,

Hmm my son is smart, before he take something, must see first what is tht before open mouth.....:tlaugh:

Your son so good readily open mouth let you feed
cos he tam jiak! once see the spoon, open mouth big big.. when he refuse to drink water, we also spoon feed him, he can drink half cup!!!!! LOL!

my hubby sometimes will also feel the the method i use is v cruel, maybe u can ask ur hubby "then which method u think is the best?" i used to ask my hubby tt, he will gif many nonsense, in e end, I WON!!! LOL!

jazz_sofia

whenever i would ask dd to take her meds..i'll tell her she will take her vitamins...then she'll be happy to drink it...but once, i told her its meds...she cried and cried and told me she's not sick so she will not take the meds...from then on, i always tell her shes taking her vitamins...

Ting

im quite lucky. pin takes medicine like she's taking sweets.
when she is having a fever or cough, i will tell her, eat medicine, she will run to me, open the fridge n help me take..
sometimes she hv a small cough (like dry cough once) she come to me ask me for medicine, i dun give she cry.. -.-"
can even tell me, medicine very yummy.. since baby, nvr had a issue with her drinking meds, except for the cod liver. LOL~

but for my neice, last time me n cousin damn jialat.. 4 of us pin her down.
1 hold her hands, another hold body/leg. then 1 hold her head n pinch her nose(so her mouth hv to open cos cant breathe :p ) n the 4th one force feed her..
she will struggle n cry like mad!
but sometimes no choice, really must force feed. cruel but for their own good.

jasobias

I have been lucky.All my kids love meds..even baby.When one is sick the other one also asking for meds*sigh*
But have stressed tht meds r dangerous n can kill n only me or daddy is allowed to give it to them.
I think one of my relatives used to give kid meds mixed with some ribena in a teaspoon or syringe just to dilute the taste abit.

Justina

Hi mumsafari,

I also tried the method that is in your blog, but the moment he saw the syringe, he would struggle let alone let the syringe anywhere near his mouth....

I also tried giving the 5ml dosage 3times...but all he managed to gag & vomit it out.........:Dancing_sad:
Hi Phoebii,

Oh, you surely need to hide the syringe from him. While he is seated, let his attention focus on the toys, quickly tilt him and SQUEEEEEZE in the medicine. Remember to choose 'new' toys like a ladle that he has never seen before.

It's tricky I know...takes a lot of practice.

By the way, always 'taste' the medicine and start with the 'sweet' ones first like paracetemol and leave the antibiotic to the last, cos that taste awful.

Good luck!

P/s: call me Justina cos mumsafari is my website name...haha!

apollo

Jasobias mummy n Ting dearie, i think the both of u MUST keep ALL the medi at safe places!!! cos my ex-neighbour's boy once drank half a bottle of his cough syrup!!! -.-"""