Any parent don't allow yr baby to watch you when you are eating???

ireneliau

My MIL don't allow my baby to watch us eat when she was born.. She say baby will be very "tum1 ja1" if they watch people eat.. iszit true???
i don't believe loh.. Now my gal 15month don even know how to eat.. main food is milk... sad..

jennii

my mil also doesnt let my gal watch us eat. but i told her, the more u keep her away, the more curious she is. Esp now she is at the stage of experimenting food and learning chewing motion from us.

Pwiincess

Why cannot let baby see us eat?
Haha. I see no problem with baby being 'tum jia'.

My baby in my tummy now, is best behaved when I'm eating. So I guess she is already very 'tum jia' now. Haha.

Angelmum

I like my DD to learn fm others so watch ppl self feed (especially kids) will encourage/motivate her to do soon.

jedamum

we try to 'eat' together as much as possible...then can feel the inclusion in the family...like having dinner together...i feed while i eat.

ireneliau

my mil also doesnt let my gal watch us eat. but i told her, the more u keep her away, the more curious she is. Esp now she is at the stage of experimenting food and learning chewing motion from us.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Think only those older tradational people having this type of thinking.. very hard to communicate with them.. See then they will learn.. Now my gal don know how to eat.. Then my MIL say my gal everything don noe.. angry.. :nah:

ireneliau

Why cannot let baby see us eat?
Haha. I see no problem with baby being 'tum jia'.

My baby in my tummy now, is best behaved when I'm eating. So I guess she is already very 'tum jia' now. Haha.

"Tum jia" is better then "mai jia".. now i'm headache that her main food is milk only..

LoVeS

Our family practice eating together so even ds cant eat wif us now but he will b in the stroller bside our table looking at us. I dun see anything wrong wif bb watching us to eat.

Pwiincess

"Tum jia" is better then "mai jia".. now i'm headache that her main food is milk only..
Ya loh.. Stick to your own views bahs. Some things can abide, others exaggerating ones can ignore de laa.. You gauge urself! Haha.

Pwiincess

we try to 'eat' together as much as possible...then can feel the inclusion in the family...like having dinner together...i feed while i eat.
I agree, Jedamum.
I would make an effort to do the same thing when my princess arrives next year.

stonston

my mum encourage baby to sit at our dinner table!!!!

cos 'monkey see, monkey do'...hehehe...

my boy can pick up small pcs of food n self feed using pincher grip since 9mths old....
when food drop out of his mouth of daggling at his lips, he noe how to use finger to push e food back into e mouth...

all these he learn from watching us...he even learn how to take biscuit from a large open container without spilling all the contents...

old pple got weird tinking....baby is urs, do wot u please :)

i believe tt they learn by imitating...unfortunately, they also learn ur bad habits, so watch out!

ireneliau

Too bad that i'm living with my in law currently.. so very hard to do the way i want.. got to wait till i got my own flat, hopefully by jun 2008 i can move out.. then i can have my own view and say..

justmint

my mum also told me this too.
I am very scare my son will b tam chia cos I scare he'll be over wt like us when hes older. So I don't really like him watching us eat. Will try avoid that from happening if I have a choice.

But at times no choice lah...cos when we take care of him by ourself, he'll be by ourside when we eat..so he'll watch! or when we dine out...he'll also watch others eat too..how to hide him from this.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
My kids have been with us at the dining table since they were old enough to sit on the high chair by themselves. Our rule is mealtimes = family time. You sit until everyone finishes. Because we started from young, we now have kids who sit still during mealtimes regardless of where we are.

If you don't set ground rules early and provide 'demo' or examples... how do you expect kids to learn? at least that's how we think.

justmint

I understand what you mean. I hope mine will be like that too. When hes old enough to eat together with us.

As for mine, hes only 6mths old. Usually already had his. So having him watch us eat..on top of that believe, I also feels weird having him watching me & his drools....

How about yours? if they already had their meal, they'll still have to sit with you & watch you eat?

My kids have been with us at the dining table since they were old enough to sit on the high chair by themselves. Our rule is mealtimes = family time. You sit until everyone finishes. Because we started from young, we now have kids who sit still during mealtimes regardless of where we are.

If you don't set ground rules early and provide 'demo' or examples... how do you expect kids to learn? at least that's how we think.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
we eat at the same time... and yes they do stay with us through the meal. When they're younger, one of us may end up carrying them half way.

Yes, it is funny when they are ready for solids. Then they'll be happy watching Daddy eat... chew chew chew, swallow... even with an empty mouth! :D

justmint

Really?? so cute:001_302:
we eat at the same time... and yes they do stay with us through the meal. When they're younger, one of us may end up carrying them half way.

Yes, it is funny when they are ready for solids. Then they'll be happy watching Daddy eat... chew chew chew, swallow... even with an empty mouth! :D

Sheree

My ds will sit down and have dinner together with us. I think it's kind of like bonding time for him and my hubby since he needs to work in the day. I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, they will learn to self feed very fast and learn to eat various type of food like veg and soup. :tlaugh:

CynCyn

I don't believe in such ''superstitious'' thing ...
So far , no one stop my son from watching us eat .

Mrs Xie

I don't really like my dd to watch me and dh eating. I would give her some baby biscuits or fruits to chew when we are eating, rather than she just sit there and watch us eating and keep drooling.... cos if she keep looking at us while we eat, it would also affect our own appetite.... :001_302: