Anybody Did Not Attend Antenatal Class for 1st Pregnancy?

beerbelly

Hi mommies and mommies to be!

I'm almost in my 35th week, and am wondering if anyone decided not to attend antenatal classes like me?

The nurses at my gynae's clinic said it was not necessary as my gynae will give a very detailed talk (which I will be attending on the 20th), and many moms said that his talk covered everything! Hmmmmm......

I was convinced that my hubby and me did not need to go for antenatal classes then.... But I started to regret my decision, and when I checked with TMC about their classes, it was already too late for me as classes had either already started or will end after my due date.:eek:

I practise pre-natal yoga 2-3 times a week and it also covers breath work and exercises to aid in labour. I have also been reading alot of preggie books etc....

sigh............

serenelm

i attended 1 at Mt E during my 1st pregnancy but did not find it very useful... they oni taught some exercises, showed some videos on childbirth and how to handle baby...

i did not really do the exercises at home after the class... the oni thing i found useful was the breathing techniques for delivery...

as for how to handle baby, you can attend the class at the hospital/watch the videos provided in your room (tink most hospitals have tis nowadays) to learn how to bathe your baby and on bf...

dont worry, if you have any queries, can also check with your gynae... i'm sure he'll be glad to answer you or ask the mummies here :)

CanCanMum

I did not attend any classes nor talks during my pregnancy

so when Baber was born, i did not know how to carry him and feed him at all, all learnt from MIL and my mum and my aunties. So it was actually quite bad, and i only dared to carry Baber when his neck got stable.....:shyxxx:

rest of the pregnancy info and birth stories i got it from babycenter.com

joeyz

i did not attend an antenatal class at all. You are lucky that your gnae will still give you a detailed talk. However, i guess it is not necessary to attend ever though it is my first child (Ethan is 9 days old now), i am still coping it well. Dont worry, just relax and stay positive. :)

P.S. During your hospital stay, u can try to tune into the motherhood channel whereby they will teach you how to breastfeed, bathe & clean your baby. :)

Last edited:

apollo

same as cancanmum & joeyz, i didnt attend any classes at all.. only read up some books and come mummysg everyday... :001_302:

angelwendy

i also did not attend any class.. cause when i check with KKH about the class.. they r already full... so after that i also never reali check liao.. but i read lots of books... i think it help alot too...:001_302:

PinkDiamonds

I did not attend any of the classes because TMC was not very convenient for us to go. So I just borrowed some books from the library and do my own reading on some relaxation techniques I can use during labor, and what to expect.

My gynae also briefly went through what exactly will happen at the delivery ward when the mid-wives & nurses are preparing for delivery.

Don't worry about it at all. Sometimes it's the unexpected that makes the whole experience fulfilling!

i almost didn't attend the class at KK, but at 28th week i joined the class and did not regret it at all, learned lots of useful tips like what medicine can or cannot take, what to eat and can't eat, hubby was taught how to massage, exercise to relive backaches, how to recognize when we're in labour, when to go to hospital, how to cope with labour, what can hubby do during labour, told about the hospital tour and we went for it to see delivery suite/wards.. etc..

however, if you and your hubby read alot and have a confinement lady/mom/mom-in-law helping you then not a must to join the class.. for me i will be caring for my baby alone and my hubby lazy to read books so it's useful for him to attend the class

Caroltpl

Me and hubby did not attend any antenatal classes too...everything will comes naturally when baby is born..cheers!

Oppsgal

Should not have attend, as in the end also become c-section. Waste time and money. Think more useful for those normal delivery to attend the class. I want to have normal delivery, but in the end become c-section.

izanyzam

I will be delivering @ Thomson Medical but due to me and hubby working different shift hours,it was difficult to find time to attend antenatal classes..So i bought/borrowed pregnancy and birth books and read up on them..Also surfed the net for additional tips and info and i also like to watch documentary shows on pregnancy and childbirth on cable tv... :001_302:

I also believe that i will learn more from my mum-in-law after baby is born as i will be staying with her during my confinement period.

karoru

me and my hubby also did not attend any antenatal class or talks... we just take it naturally as they come.. hope we did not miss out anything impt coz we are first time parents...

CanCanMum

hehe seems like mostly all din attend~~:001_302:

i heard from a mummy friend tat she had attended a few sessions but she said was quite lame~~din teach much...lols

but i saw one couple they had handled the baby VERY well, dun look like first time parents~~i guess becoz they had no help from anyone, guess tats why they had to go for all these classes....

beerbelly

wheeee!!! thank you mommies and mommies to be for all your replies and encouragement!:wong29:
now i don't feel so left out and am more confident of myself!!!! hehehehe

there are some really good books i got from the library, in case any MTB want to check them out:

Breathe Your Way Through Birth With Yoga by Julie Llewellyn-Thomas 618.24

Happy Birth Day by The National Childbirth Trust 618.2

Your New Baby by Dr. Miriam Stoppard 649.122

oh, i borrowed these from Toa Payoh Library and they are due back 28Nov:001_302:

kenxf_03

I didnt attend any classes at all too..

One of my fren said its not neccessary actually.. They attended and regretted in the end.

So far, I'm doing fine too! Dont worry, everything comes in naturally when ur baobei is born. Guess this is wat they called Mothers' Nature ba..

sufeit0115

Actually quite guilty for not making the effort to spare the time to attend antenatal class due to busy work schedule, but glad to learn that many mummies who didn't attend are still doing well!! My friend also told me not a must to attend cos can learn from own mum/mother in law....also mother instincts will naturally kick in and u will slowly learn the rope of taking care for your newborn.

beerbelly, where did u attend ur yoga classes? i'm thinking of doing that soon too. after my 1st tri. is it a couple class? or can i do it alone?

diymummy

Hi mommies and mommies to be!

I'm almost in my 35th week, and am wondering if anyone decided not to attend antenatal classes like me?

The nurses at my gynae's clinic said it was not necessary as my gynae will give a very detailed talk (which I will be attending on the 20th), and many moms said that his talk covered everything! Hmmmmm......

I was convinced that my hubby and me did not need to go for antenatal classes then.... But I started to regret my decision, and when I checked with Thomson Medical Center about their classes, it was already too late for me as classes had either already started or will end after my due date.:eek:

I practise pre-natal yoga 2-3 times a week and it also covers breath work and exercises to aid in labour. I have also been reading alot of preggie books etc....

sigh............
I also did not go for antenatal classes. I gave birth at Gleneagles. They have TV channels that teach you how to bathe baby and breastfeed. I found those just as useful.