Anyone deliver in KKH lately?

angelwendy

Anyone mummy know whether baby would stay over night with you either staying A1 or B1 ward in KK?
I think if u are staying @ A1.. u can request ur bb to be in the room.... but if B1 i'm not too sure... i think only feeding time...

adlieyn

hi , i just deliverd to a healthy baby gal last 4 months . subsidise .
total of $1600 .. good experience !

k-mom

Anyone mummy know whether baby would stay over night with you either staying A1 or B1 ward in KK?
hi ebi, kk encourages baby to room in with you so you can choose to have your baby sleep with you at night even if you're in b1. but you need to take care of night feeds and diaper changes yourself. of course, the nurses will come if you hit the call button :)

angelwendy

hi ebi, kk encourages baby to room in with you so you can choose to have your baby sleep with you at night even if you're in b1. but you need to take care of night feeds and diaper changes yourself. of course, the nurses will come if you hit the call button :)

Oh good to hear that.... hee.... can let my boy stay with me....:001_302:

Cor

Hmm, seems like there are mostly good feedback on Kandang Kerbau Hospital. Guess I must be one of the unlucky few who did not have a good experience with them as mine was an emergency case with no gynae. Though I gave birth in Aug 2008, it was an experience that I would never forget :(

I was supposed to give birth at Mt. E as my gynae was from Mt. E. All was well till my last tri when my GP was very concerned with my BP at 140 each time I go see her for cough or flu so she referred me twice back to my gynae who in turn assured me that my BP was not high??!! All whom I checked around with agreed with my GP that 140 is on the high side already. My GP was exceptionally concerned as she knew I suffered a miscarriage in 2004 and this is my 1st baby after 7 years of marriage. I was afraid so I asked my GP to write me a referral letter to Kandang Kerbau Hospital for a thorough checkup as I know if I did the checkup at Mt E, it would have cost a bomb..

I went to Kandang Kerbau Hospital with the referral letter and during their checks, my water bag broke and I was only 33 weeks 2 days preg. They then decided to prolong my delivery till at least I was 34 weeks.. I made the best decision ever of choosing Class C..

Hubby was out-stationed so I was really afraid, only had my mum with me.. In the next 4 days, my nightmare began.. I was hospitalized and on Total Bed Rest.. I was on medication and anti-biotic drips about 4 times a day to prevent infection to my womb. My blood was drawn once or twice a day.. Maybe coz I was in Class C, the filipino nurses who gave me the anti-biotic drips were definitely not gentle with their hands. Each time when the antibiotics do not drip initially, they would give the tube a hard twist sending a sharp pain in my hand as the medication is forced into my vein.. They would ask me if it was painful and still do it the next time.. I could only hold back tears as my unborn son's and my life were in their hands then..

When I was 33weeks and 6days, my son decided not to wait for his daddy to come back the next day. I was getting really bad contractions and wheeled to the delivery suite.. I have no complaints on the gynaes n nurses at the delivery suite. They were really sympathetic but I was without a gynae so the staff were jetting between my suite and another lady next door who was also giving birth.. I didn't know what to do when the contractions were becoming too painful and they refused to give me any epidural as my baby was premature.. Without guidance, I pushed when I was not fully dilated.. Hence, I tore badly and the midwife did episiotomy on me as well when my son's head was emerging.. Maybe that's why till now my perineal wound has not heal properly and I still have tears when my legs have the slightest stretch from squatting etc..

I was brought back to my Class C ward for 2nd round of nightmare. I developed high fever of 40deg the next day. The docs could not tell what was wrong with me.. I felt as if I was gonna die.. Luckily my hubby was back and he was asking the nurses what to do as the docs are not always around. Some nurses told him to cover me with blankets as I was shivering uncontrollably.. When he did that, my temp shot even higher so he checked with some nurses that came to check on me, they told him I should not be covered as I would get too hot.. My hubby was so mad as they were giving different instructions at different times.. Thankfully, a good friend of ours decided it was best to sponge my whole body with cold water so my hubby n friend wiped me continuously time after time and pat me dry. Only then my temperature came down in the night.. Can you believe that during this time, the nurses did nothing to help my temperature or "save me" except for giving me panadols which did not help??!! They left all the work to my friend and hubby... I thought my nightmare ended but for the next 3 days, I was a lab rat as they could not find out the cause of my fever. The trainee doctors tried to draw blood from me and each time I warned them that I have very fine veins so it would be best that someone experienced draws my blood. They disregarded what I said and tried so I ended up with 9 bruises (huge blue blacks) when I was discharged.. I have high tolerance of pain but there was this doctor who poked me so bad (3 times unsuccessfully and still refused to acknowledge the fact that he could not do it) that I just cried uncontrollably. All he could say was he was sorry and the next few times, they sent trainee docs who managed to draw blood from me previously...

My total bill came up to more than $10k (inclusive of my son's NICU charges for about a week). A big bulk of it was offsetted by government grants and the remaining $2.5k for both my son and me were fully claimable from my medisave... I could not imagine the size of my bill if I had chosen any other wards or hospital.

What I learnt most from this is that be prepared for the unexpected.. Just make sure wise decisions are made when the unexpected happens. Though it is always comfortable to have better class, make sure you have the resources to handle the financial aspect especially in complicated cases. Yes I suffered a lot of pain but I would have different sufferings if I had opted better class (b1 and above) and not being able to pay... I guess I was left with no choice..

Sorry for this really long post but I really hope someone would benefit from my experience. Thanks!

Cor

:001_302:thanks Cor.. i get what you mean... hee... thanks for sharing...
No prob angelwendy :)

However, on a better note with my personal experience aside, I must say that Kandang Kerbau Hospital is good in handling complications.. Who would have thought I could "withhold" my delivery till 4 days later although my water bag broke. Private hosps would have most likely delivered me on the spot.. My son was in good hands in the NICU. Nurses in the delivery suite were telling me that for most complicated cases, private hospital would normally refer or transfer back to Kandang Kerbau Hospital as they may not have the expertise or up-to-date technologies/ equipments in handling such cases :err:

Cor, i'm sorry you have to go through such awful experience.. to be honest foreign nurses are generally like that, when i took care of my dad at mt e for 4 months and in deluxe ward(imagine how much i paid) the nurses which are from philipines and china are LOUSY!!!

when i went for KK hospital tour i saw most of the nurses are locals in A1 and B1, so i'm crossing my fingers i get the service i'm paying for. but lately i heard KK service has improved(hopefully) but mostly for private patients.

Cor

Cor, i'm sorry you have to go through such awful experience.. to be honest foreign nurses are generally like that, when i took care of my dad at mt e for 4 months and in deluxe ward(imagine how much i paid) the nurses which are from philipines and china are LOUSY!!!

when i went for KK hospital tour i saw most of the nurses are locals in A1 and B1, so i'm crossing my fingers i get the service i'm paying for. but lately i heard KK service has improved(hopefully) but mostly for private patients.
It's ok HoneyLicious, I'm just glad that the trauma is over.. for now.. until we decide to have a 2nd kiddo possibly hehe. Perhaps the foreign nurses are just here for the sake of their PRs so they are less likely to empathize with anyone's pain but of coz, I am sure that there are definitely some good ones around as well which I am not lucky to come across yet.

Yeah, I too heard that KK's service improved and when hubby wrote the feedback, they did call him up to apologize.. And I guess the higher the class, the better the service. My friend who gave birth 2 mths after me took their A1 ward and she had no complaints on their service. In my case, I may to pay at least $10k & abv in cash if I opted for A1 class.. So dont worry, you should get the service you are paying for :)

Lenaz

Hi Mummies (or mummies-to-be)

I know this is like so overdue. But Im wondering, how much you paid for A1 class and B1 class respectively? I am 3 months pregnant, and am with my gynae at Kandang Kerbau Hospital The Private Suite, and I'm wondering how much me and hubby will have to fork out in cash. We didn't opt for the subsidized clinic and hubby wanted a female gyane to attend to me and I was told that at the subsidized clinic we cant choose the gynae, and we will have a team of medical students participating during the delivery...

So anyone can give an idea/ estimate how much cash do we have to come up with on top of our medisave? And is the Kandang Kerbau Hospital private more ex than Thomson Medical Center?

My sister delivered at a private hospital, and she raked up so much in her bills ( "ala carte" charges or piece meal). It was not covered under any package. So I decided not to go for private hospitals incase the same thing happens

catherlyn

Hi Mummies (or mummies-to-be)

I know this is like so overdue. But Im wondering, how much you paid for A1 class and B1 class respectively? I am 3 months pregnant, and am with my gynae at Kandang Kerbau Hospital The Private Suite, and I'm wondering how much me and hubby will have to fork out in cash. We didn't opt for the subsidized clinic and hubby wanted a female gyane to attend to me and I was told that at the subsidized clinic we cant choose the gynae, and we will have a team of medical students participating during the delivery...

So anyone can give an idea/ estimate how much cash do we have to come up with on top of our medisave? And is the Kandang Kerbau Hospital private more ex than Thomson Medical Center?

My sister delivered at a private hospital, and she raked up so much in her b

ills ( "ala carte" charges or piece meal). It was not covered under any package.
So I decided not to go for private hospitals incase the same thing happens
hihi I just delivered in kk recently n for B1 I top up 742 cash when I sign for the package. A1 is 1.9k plus deposit n cos I'm in the delivery suite for less than 8 hrs think I will b getting some refund bk. Btw I'm a private patient as I opt for the same gynea to follow through out my pregnancy

angelwendy

do we have to choose a package before delivery? where to go to? admissions?

Normally ur gynae will tell u... that ur next appt need to talk about the package... my next appt for check up will also include talking about packages.... i think they will advice u at the payment counter... the nurse will explain the details to u.... my next appt i will be 36 weeks already.. i think after u decided the package & make the deposit they will give u a paper for the admission for the big day... so we just bring along when we go hospital when deliver..

catherlyn

It is best to tk ur package early cos in case u go into early labour(touchwood) u don need ur husband to run out to do the admission n he can spend his time with u

WinnieL

I understand that if you are a subsidised patient, there is not need to choose any maternity package, which applies only to A1 & B1. Subsidised patients go to B2 & C, and you just choose when you admit into hospital, and beds will be allocated based on availability.

Last edited:

yakii

i personally feel that doing the admission is not that troublesome for the hubby if u need to be admitted before the 'promise' time. I was admitted at 33 weeks when my waterbag burst at home. All my hubby do is when he is settle wif me, he walk outside to the delivery suite and stay at the counter for ard 20min for the explaination of the different ward and the cost. Then he can continue to spend his time wif u and watch tv...haa haa. Choosing the ward really depend on how much cash u want to come out after all the deduction. For my case, i was admitted due to waterbag burst but the gynae dun want me to give birth yet as the cervic is not ready and the baby heart rate is still good and of cos there is no contraction at all and i stay there wif the help of mediciation for a 5days as my gynae plan to do an induce on the 34 week but baby just cant to wait.

The baby is born premature but lucky that she is just marginal over 2kg just a little distress during birth which they put her to the ICU. Neonatal ICU is not cheap and this follow the ward grade of the mum. I took a B1 ward for myself as i dun want to spend too much and cos i know my baby will be premature. The stay at the NICU for her cost me over 400 dollar per day and after that to the special nursery i downgrade her to B2 ward as there is no cluster for baby in the special nursery and i have discharge on the 2nd day after delivery.

Total bill for my stay and my baby cost coming to 13k. But we didnt come out wif any cash as i was a CSC holder and we are given to B1 cluster. If not we got to come out wif coming 8k of cash which is huge amount.

shiyi

i personally feel that doing the admission is not that troublesome for the hubby if you need to be admitted before the 'promise' time. I was admitted at 33 weeks when my waterbag burst at home. All my hubby do is when he is settle with me, he walk outside to the delivery suite and stay at the counter for around 20min for the explaination of the different ward and the cost. Then he can continue to spend his time with you and watch tv...haa haa. Choosing the ward really depend on how much cash you want to come out after all the deduction. For my case, i was admitted due to waterbag burst but the gynae dont want me to give birth yet as the cervic is not ready and the baby heart rate is still good and of cos there is no contraction at all and i stay there with the help of mediciation for a 5days as my gynae plan to do an induce on the 34 week but baby just cant to wait.

The baby is born premature but lucky that she is just marginal over 2kg just a little distress during birth which they put her to the ICU. Neonatal ICU is not cheap and this follow the ward grade of the mum. I took a B1 ward for myself as i dont want to spend too much and cos i know my baby will be premature. The stay at the NICU for her cost me over 400 dollar per day and after that to the special nursery i downgrade her to B2 ward as there is no cluster for baby in the special nursery and i have discharge on the 2nd day after delivery.

Total bill for my stay and my baby cost coming to 13k. But we didnt come out with any cash as i was a CSC holder and we are given to B1 cluster. If not we got to come out with coming 8k of cash which is huge amount.
wow.. so lucky dun have to pay any cash..