Anyone did gestational diabetes test or asked by Gynae to do?

Phoebii Cheng

Yes, it is normal or when ur routine tests suggests that u hv gestational diabetes.....

For me, I failed my routine tests, thts why my gynae told me to take the tests

eileenpxp

i didnt do the test for my 1st child...only did for my 2nd child as my baby was putting on too much weight at 1 stage...

heard from gynae that he will ask pregnant ladies to do this test only if the baby has excessive weight gain/ too much water in the stomach...:red:

Yes, it is normal or when your routine tests suggests that you have gestational diabetes.....

For me, I failed my routine tests, thts why my gynae told me to take the tests
Hi Phoebii,

Do you mean you failed the urine stick test?
Mine was normal but my baby is a week ahead of EDD so i am not sure if that's the reason to do?

Littlemoomoo

Hihi, i did mine glucose test during week 28 cos the urine stick positive for high glucose. Anyway my glucose test indicated my glucose level is high, thus now have to do self glucose reading 3x per week. My gyane will check the record during the routine visit.

Do the nurse draw a big tube of blood or just poke finger for small amount of blood? I am super afraid of drawing blood as the nurses always have trouble finding my veins/capilaries..

angelwendy

Do the nurse draw a big tube of blood or just poke finger for small amount of blood? I am super afraid of drawing blood as the nurses always have trouble finding my veins/capilaries..

they will draw by tube for this test.. & 2 tube is needed before & after the sweet drink.....

clingbel

I was being request to take the test cos, I gain 3kgs each mth for passed 3 mths.
But, i refuse doing it cos, no history of diabetes and also, total weight gain from pregnant till now only 10kg, baby is average weight......

Due in 1 more mth, i did a rough est. my baby the max. weight gain might be 3kg? My urine test sticks always normal.

Gyane advise saying just to do the test on the safe side & in-case anything........

fiza

I was being request to take the test cos, I gain 3kgs each month for passed 3 mths.
But, i refuse doing it cos, no history of diabetes and also, total weight gain from pregnant till now only 10kg, baby is average weight......

Due in 1 more month, i did a rough est. my baby the max. weight gain might be 3kg? My urine test sticks always normal.

Gyane advise saying just to do the test on the safe side & in-case anything........
I was asked by my gynae if I had family history of Diabetes.. and of course my dad has it.. So.. I was asked to take the test at 28 weeks too!

Mummy to Baby V

Did the test too. I'm fine with taking blood test but felt very sick (wanted to vomit but couldn't cos got to keep the glucose drink in) for hours after the drink -- tooooooo sweet for me! Test result was negative, phew...

Sounds like some cruel test where you have to be forced fed glucose...yucks...two tubes of blood no joke, i guess i need to lie on the bed for hours...

xicloudix

I pass the routine urine stick test, but was asked to do the oral glucose test as my family has a history of diabetes.

Test result was a little bit on the high side, and have to go back there to take another test whereby have to stay there 1 day to eat their breakfast, lunch and dinner.... it will cost around 300++ and deductable by medisave

Anyone have any idea what they will do to me there? I believe i am not paying 300++ juz to eat 3 meals there.... scared they poke me with many needles T_T

BTW anyone know if hubby can accompany me there? Or do i have to really stay there the whole day? Or can walk here walk there?

decollette

I think i took the test but how come it does not sound like as mentioned here.? Each visit i also took the urine stick but results always normal. Gynae said to test if i wanna be on the safe side, so i did.. its the small device thing whereby finger poke then drip blood on the device. results are ok as well..

I think i took the test but how come it does not sound like as mentioned here.? Each visit i also took the urine stick but results always normal. Gynae said to test if i wanna be on the safe side, so i did.. its the small device thing whereby finger poke then drip blood on the device. results are ok as well..
I think the Gestational diabete test which the gynae wants us preggers to do is more in depth. Have to draw full tube of blood 8 hrs after fasting and then drink 1 big cup of sugary drink and wait for another 2 hrs to draw another tube of blood.

I suppose it is to test how well the insulin in our body react to the sugary drink.

Littlemoomoo

decollette

I think the Gestational diabete test which the gynae wants us preggers to do is more in depth. Have to draw full tube of blood 8 hours after fasting and then drink 1 big cup of sugary drink and wait for another 2 hours to draw another tube of blood.

I suppose it is to test how well the insulin in our body react to the sugary drink.

Littlemoomoo
oh..thanks. Dr Ang did not mention that at all. After i did the 'poke' and results ok, the nurse told me i need not pee on the urine stick already..