Anyone has experience with DR Fong Yang at Paragon/Tiong Bahru?

christine77sg

Hi, currently I m seeing this gynae, introduce to me by a relative. So far, i think he is ok, quite a gentle person. But I find the scanning machine in his clinic nt vry gd. I am more than 8 wks pregnant now, but I cant c my baby very clearly when being scan.

And he doesn't give much advice.

Anyone here has any experience w him?

Hi Christine, I am currently seeing this gynae also and find he doesnt give much advice too. Unless you ask. by the way, had any package been offered to you? I was wondering whether to pick up his package since I am already in my 22 wks.

christine77sg

Ya lor. And for mi, as a 1st time mum, I hv no idea wat to ask. :-(

No pkg mentioned yet. Cos I m still in my 1st Tri. I m thinking of changing to another after my 1st Tri.

Seems lik he is nt a vry popular gynae for mummies in here.

nepherisis

I went to 2 gynaes during my pregnancy. Initially I went to Dr Roger KM Heng (Sims Ave) because he helped my aunt delivered his four boys.

Then my cousin introduced me to Dr W K Tan at Thomson Medical because my cousin said this gynae is very good. I had to wait for 2 hours for nothing and there was no patient at all that time. Bad impression during first visit. Needless to say, I went back to the 1st gynae.

In my experience, there are some gynaes who talk a lot and there are some of who give you suffice advice during the consultation.

My gynae did everything on his own without passing me from one nurse to another like what happened at Thomson Medical. He checked blood pressure, took blood sample, took my body weight and did my scans. This way he has a good overview of my condition. During the regular consultation, the gynae has to brief you the condition of the foetus. Concurrently, the gynae also has to monitor your weight against the development of the foetus to see if you are underweight or overweight.

Apart from gynae, you need to know which hospital the gynae does the delivery too. I gave birth to my baby at East Shore Hospital and the service is very good.

Ya . And for mi, as a 1st time mum, I have no idea what to ask. :-(

No pkg mentioned yet. Cos I m still in my 1st Tri. I m thinking of changing to another after my 1st Tri.

Seems lik he is not a vry popular gynae for mummies in here.

Last edited:

christine77sg

thanks neph for sharing ur experience.

I m also seeing two gynae concurrently at the moment. Beside Dr Fong, I am also seeing Dr Tham Kok Fun fr Gleneagles. There was one incident when Dr Tham advise me of the few fishes I shld avoid, eg. Mackerel, sharks, swordfish and etc. He said very bad for baby. I am surprised that Dr Fong didn;t mention anything abt it! Imagine if I m only seeing Dr Fong, I cld hv put my baby at risk!

So I was kind of upset. Furthermore, I can't see my baby very clearly on each scan. It was very disappointing, cos I always goes for each scan with much anticipation to see my baby.

PTB7476

thanks neph for sharing your experience.

I m also seeing two gynae concurrently at the moment. Beside Dr Fong, I am also seeing Dr Tham Kok Fun fr Gleneagles. There was one incident when Dr Tham advise me of the few fishes I shld avoid, eg. Mackerel, sharks, swordfish and etc. He said very bad for baby. I am surprised that Dr Fong didn;t mention anything about it! Imagine if I m only seeing Dr Fong, I cld have put my baby at risk!

So I was kind of upset. Furthermore, I can't see my baby very clearly on each scan. It was very disappointing, cos I always goes for each scan with much anticipation to see my baby.
IMHO since Dr Tham is nice think you can stop wasting your time with DR Fong.

christine77sg

But his waiting time super duper long. My hubby has great difficulty taking time off his job. Whn I visit Dr Tham, he usually can't join me. :-(

PTB7476

But his waiting time super duper long. My hubby has great difficulty taking time off his job. Whn I visit Dr Tham, he usually can't join me. :-(
would u rather get a good and nice doctor or an anyhow doctor just so that your hubby can join you for every appointment :X

christine77sg

:) I see tat ther r many recommended gynae in this forum and I will probably try one of them and c how it goes.

As this is my 1st after trying for more than 5 yrs, I really hope to have a gd gynae and to involve my hubby in everything.

PTB7476

:) I see that ther r many recommended gynae in this forum and I will probably try one of them and c how it goes.

As this is my 1st after trying for more than 5 yrs, I really hope to have a good gynae and to involve my hubby in everything.
just in case you din realised, popular Gynae are like hotcake and they do have quota. once they reached the quota for the month (EDD) they will not accept anymore. so it is best that you make up your mind soon

christine77sg

oh, thks for the advice. I didn't knw tat. I will b going for the Oscar test next week. Once the result is out, I will go to the new gynae to check it out. :)

Crossing my fingers.

Ning

hi, My 2 babies were delivered by Dr Fong Yang (Paragon) respectively difference of 2 years.
yes the Q waiting time is long (at least 1 hour each time) but i realised that he's not a pushy doc. some doc insisted on C session when natural birth is possible, to make more $$ i guess.
Dr Fong is quite a "relaxed" doc, when you go to him, you must think of your list of questions of what to ask, not what he will tell you.
There was once during my 1st trimester, he even tells me to eat ice-cream to boost my sugar intake.. or remind me to start to take coconut juice during the last 3 weeks of pregnancy..
Also, he is quite compassionate, when delivering, so i kinda trust him.

susulek

Hi, my child is now 21mths old. Someone recommended Dr Fong to me and my wife when we were trying to conceive. He came across to us as someone not very sincere and truly want to help pregnant women type of person. Feels like he is a bizmen more than a doctor.
Prior to this child, we had one too for 5- 6 weeks but it didn't work out. He did a D&C for my wife. After the D&C, he immediately left. I mean immediately. He just walked out and nvr return. Me and my wife still traumitised by our loss really didn't know wat to do after the operation... dunno whether need to take medicine...wat we should or should not do... etc.... no calls from him too.... or even his assistant to chk on us..... so we totally gave up on him...

We go to Dr Tham Kok Fun from Gleneagles. Although private, his charges are reasonable. Which is why the waiiting time is so so so long. But besides that, he is really a doc with lots of love and care for patients. His passion really shows from the way he work..... gd doc...make u feel at ease...gentle with his procedures, superb surgeon skills, no pain at all for my wife (C-section)

Take care, just my 2 cents worth.

makarios

Hmmm actually I have a positive experience with Dr Fong. He helped me conceive my 1st baby through IUI. Now she is 2.5 yo. And throughout the whole pregnancy, he was very careful as I'm above 35. When my amniotic fluid went below normal at 28 weeks, he was super kan jiong. He wanted me to have bed rest till my next appointment. Went for detailed scan to confirm whether the fluid is really low. Amniotic fluid went back normal and my dearie was delivered 5 days shy of 40 weeks at 2.97kg (after 2x induce). He was gentle at my delivery process and did the stitching impeccably. Hubby never even noticed the difference.

When my dearie was hospitalised at MAH due to jaundice, my husband and I met his wife there and chatted. She was very kind and helpful. She even asked him to help me take disposable glass bottles (that was used previously for feeding formula milk in MAH) so that I can pump breastmilk into it and store in fridge.

Now trying the 2nd one under him.

othello

My wife is due in July and our gynae is Dr Fong. We first saw him when trying to concieve. After a while, we stopped seeing him while taking a break + try traditional chinese medicine. Then wife got pregnant naturally, so we went back to him. I feel its a matter of style.

Dr Fong is one who

1. Will not push to sell or do anything at all. Be it treatment or supplements.
2. Will not chat with you like your friend.

One forummer is right, he did not tell us to avoid this & that. To be fair, how many of us have ever eaten King Mackerel, shark & swordfish in our lives ? He did not even ask us to take the Oscar test.

However, if you understand his way, then one may begin to appreciate his style. I feel he's one that places the baby's growth as utmost importance. As long as he's growing well, then he's happy. After every scan, he says " very good. Baby is growing well"

Won't tell you things which make you worry unnecessary. About the Oscar test, he will not ask(cos he's a catholic), but his asst will still arrange for you if needed. He asked us a very good question : "So what are your plans if the results are negative ? Do you intend to keep the baby ? If yes, then there is no need to take the Oscar test. "

So saying that he's uncaring and quiet might be a tad unfair to him. After the very first consult, we find him very assuring and father figure type. That's why we stuck to him. For a woman, handling the birth of a baby, comfortability is more important than anything else in my opinion.

Oh yes, and he never fails to ask me everytime "Any questions ?" before we leave.

Last edited:

Eliza

Hi, I think by now the person who posts this thread might have already given birth. But I think certain replies on this thread is rather unfair to Dr. Fong.
He was recommened by my regular GP. From the start of my pregnancy, he has been very patient and caring. My first trimester was rather shaky as my iron was low. He reminded me to stay in bed until my second trimester and prescribed me iron pills. Compare with my sister's doc. did not bother to check even my sister has a heart condition.
I have asked him the dumbiest thing ever since it's my first pregnancy and he replied all with patience and a smile. Don't wait for him to remind or ask you. You do the work since you are the one having a baby.
As to why he is always in a hurry, there are babies born almost every day or every hour. I was at my last trimester and I had to wait for almost three hours by myself, alone at paragon since it's a work day and I do not want my husband to take leave all the time. Dr. Fong has to rush and deliver a baby or attend to a new mother and then rush back to his clinic again. Anyone ever thought about did he has his meals yet?
Well, I did spend some time window shopping until his assistant called me.
I have my son delivered by Dr. Fong in year 2009. I was in labour on Friday but waited until Sat to go in as that was my appt with him. He calmly told my I was in labour and swiftly and everything a blur, I'm in the hospital delivery room on the same day just 2hrs apart.
My son did not want to come out on Sat and Dr. Fong came on Sat, Sunday (twice) and on Monday morning told me that I needed emergency c-section. He was so calm that I did not even panic about the unplanned c-sect. My son was delivered an hour later and for the next three days, he visited every morning before going to his clinic. So, how does he fair as a doctor? I think he is perfect. His wife was very helpful when I met her in the hospital too. Gave me loads advice and recommend my son's current PD too. My final advice: don't put ur own stress on the doctors. Do all the research by urself and ask around and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

ahchan5

Here is my personally experience with Dr FY.

I agrees with christine77sg that he doesn't given much advice.

Two incidents make me wonder if i still wanna continue with this doctor. I was really 'SCARED OFF' by his remarks
(1) brown spotting in early 1st trimester (He said it is common BUT NOT NORMAL.....)
-I read up and found out it is normal!
(2) unable to detect baby heartbeat on 6th week (He said this is not gd and has to scan few days later)
-My friend's gynae advise her to scan after 7th week whereby will see the heartbeat

The above two scenarios have given me the thoughts.....why was i given such NEGATIVES info by Dr FY while other gynaes would have not make me so worried and anxious for nothing.