Anyone know how to marinate chicken wing for BBQ

Gladys

Anyone has the easy recipe to marinate chicken wing. I think of buying the packet chicken wing and marinate ourself is cheaper than they sell it already marinated. It cost $0.60 per pcs marinated.

diymummy

For me, I use oyster sauce and chopped garlic. Marinate overnight. So far my friends and myself love this simple marinate. The wings comes out nice and brown and tasty.

Gladys

Thank you for sharing.

What type of oyster sauce you use? What i have is mushroom oyster sauce? How much you use for the oyster sauce & chopped garlic?

For me, I use oyster sauce and chopped garlic. Marinate overnight. So far my friends and myself love this simple marinate. The wings comes out nice and brown and tasty.

diymummy

I didn't try the mushroom oyster sauce before. Usually I use Woh Hup or Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce to marinate. Lee Kum Kee is saltier than Woh Hup so if you prefer a saltier wing, then you can use Lee Kum Kee.

It depends on how many wings you are using to determine how much sauce to use. I use just enough sauce to coat all the wings and they look a little brown. Be generous with the garlic. Since it is chopped, every wing should have some garlic on it while in the marinate.

camom

My mom uses only plain salt and pepper. The chix wings are soaked in salt water for a while and removed and seasoned with pepper. Do not over soak, otherwise they turn extremely salty. The salt draws out liquids from the wings so they turn crispy after bbq-ing.

For me, I rely on a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper, chinese wine (hua tiao jiu) and/or paprika .Marinate overnite.

My hubs loves chix wings marinated with the Kai Yang Sauce from Asian Gourmet. This one can be found in NTUCs. You can also do teriyaki marinade. There are bottled sauces avail in supermarkets.

In my sch days, we used to bbq with Lee Kum Kee char siew sauce. lol

Last edited:

thepinkdot

i do mine with oyster sauce, garlic powder (coz i lazy to chop garlic), sesame oil and a very light dash of soy sauce..

for honey ver. - eliminate soy sauce and add in honey instead.

osaka

Hi, I have a special ingredient to share!
Wu Xiang Fen. Comes in power form in bottle.
This can be bought at NTUC & can be kept for long.
My recipe
Light & dark Soya sauce
Sesame oil
Hua Tiao Jiu
Small Lime juice (makes the chicken wing's meat very juicy !)
& wu xiang fen.

It comes out real nice.... talking abt it, i'm gg to make next week! Real Yummy!!
Hope you enjoy!

ttml

As for me,

Method 1 : oyster sauce and turmeric powder.

Method 2 : Thousand island sauce , salt and pepper

Last edited:

stonston

There are many different styles. Usually we pick 3-4 styles per BBQ session. My maid likes to marinade them, then pack into ziploc to freeze. When she needs them, just defrost and chuck into oven.

1. Basic BBQ chicken - Buy ready BBQ sauce and marinate
2. Teriyaki chicken (hot fave) - Buy Kikkoman Teriyaki (Thick) and marinate
3. Honey chicken (kids love this) - Light sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce and honey. Mix well then marinate
4. Spicy drumlets - Chili powder, XO fish sauce and some olive oil. Mix well then marinate
5. Simple - Dark sauce, light sauce, sesame oil, liqour (normally hua tiao) and some sugar. Mix well then marinate

Always rub the chicken with salt (to get rid of any weird smell/taste). Then rinse off. Another method is soak in mixture of salt, bicabornate of soda and water.

Drain and pat dry before marinating (else you'll just end up diluting your marinade).

Mof2kk

Chicken wings - my favourite!!!

I usually use whatever sauce I have in my cabinet:
- light soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine
- chop garlic, ginger & onion
- about 2 tablespoon of honey mix with a bit of water

I used to marinate ALL the above together and throw everything into the oven. Then last month, I tried without the honey first. I only added the honey on the wings when they are almost done. Then flip the wings so that the other side is also nicely browned. Then when the other side is almost ready, add the remaining honey...

Yummy!!!

Gladys

I tried but end up no nice. How would I know how much should I put for the light sauce , oyster sauce & etc unless I cook and know the taste .

I buy the ready terriyaki sauce and season for 1 night but still no taste. The second time I season add a little salt.

How do all of you know whether is it tasty ?

osaka

Hi! Yup, DIY marinated chicken wings are better & much fresher than those which are marinated. Furthermore, we can marinate accordingly to our likings.
If you prefer sweet one, add honey, the sauces, sesame oil, salt pepper.

A simple one is use the sauces available at supermkt. :)

Anyone has the easy recipe to marinate chicken wing. I think of buying the packet chicken wing and marinate ourself is cheaper than they sell it already marinated. It cost $0.60 per pcs marinated.

Mof2kk

Err... by gut feel....
OK. Let me try... for about 15 pcs of wings (3-joint type), I will easily add about 1/2 cup (measuring cup) of light soy sauce. If no taste, then it's very likely not enough soy sauce. You must 'stir' and mix the wings so they take turn to get soaked in the sauce. I sometimes add more wine so that most of the wings get soaked at any one time.

Next time I do wings I try to measure the soy sauce and let you know again :)

Mof2kk

Hi Gladys,
over the weekend I baked 1 chicken (cut into 6 pieces) + 2 wings. I used 1/2 cup of soy sauce & sesame oil, pepper, rice wine. Turned out a bit salty. Maybe because this time I used the 'standard grade' soy sauce which tends to be more salty (bought wrongly lah!). The superior grade ones are usually better. So if you use 'standard grade', can cut down a bit on the soy sauce. If use better grade, this quantity should be good.

I also didn't put honey (lazy!!!), else the sweetness would have contrast the salty taste and it could have been better...

Gladys

I see the label indication that the sodium for the superior grade is higher than the standard grade. I wonder whether sodium which is come from salt. If it is then superior should be salty than standard.

I've bought a small bottle to taste the difference but not yet try.

Hi Gladys,
over the weekend I baked 1 chicken (cut into 6 pieces) + 2 wings. I used 1/2 cup of soy sauce & sesame oil, pepper, rice wine. Turned out a bit salty. Maybe because this time I used the 'standard grade' soy sauce which tends to be more salty (bought wrongly !). The superior grade ones are usually better. So if you use 'standard grade', can cut down a bit on the soy sauce. If use better grade, this quantity should be good.

I also didn't put honey (lazy!!!), else the sweetness would have contrast the salty taste and it could have been better...

Mof2kk

I see the label indication that the sodium for the superior grade is higher than the standard grade. I wonder whether sodium which is come from salt. If it is then superior should be salty than standard.

Didn't check the label of mine. Will check later tonight. But I notice it among 2 brands already - standard one seem to taste saltier (and 'flatter' - don't know how to describe) and superior one is less salty (and 'more body').

nurman02

oyster sauce + tomato sauce + chilli sauce + honey + black pepper sauce + a bit of salt

camom

I tried but end up no nice. How would I know how much should I put for the light sauce , oyster sauce & etc unless I cook and know the taste .

I buy the ready terriyaki sauce and season for 1 night but still no taste. The second time I season add a little salt.

How do all of you know whether is it tasty ?
Preparing the wings for marinating is also impt. Don't soak the wings in water for too long while you are washing .After washing, drain and pat dry with paper towels before you marinate. The excess water will thin out your marinade.

For me, I usually marinate my meats in a ziploc bag. it takes up less space in storage since it stores flat and more importantly, the marinade can be easily massaged into all the wings at any time. If using a container, unless your wings are stored in a single layer, the marinade might not be evenly distributed on all the wings.

camom

The different grades in soy sauce refers to when the sauce was harvested. If I am not mistaken, superior grade is saltier as it is the 1st harvest. It also tends to be more expensive.