Anyone read books to their babies?

cherry

My babies are 6 month old now and I want to read them books in order to set up their reading habbit. But is there any technique in this? Cos not all the baby books have large fonts. Should I just show them the pictures and talk with them about the content? Or just read the words on the story book out loud and let them read the pictures?

CanCanMum

i recalled last time i showed him the pictures as well as reading out loud to my boy

its cute!!!

coz they studied yr lips and sounds and will try to "eee eee arr arr" to imitate

:001_302::001_302::001_302:

beware they might reach for yr book and tear them or eat them lols~~~

Can try getting those soft books that are made of cloths then you will have no fear of baby reaching out to tear the books. That whats i'm using to teach my boy :)

uddermummy

i went crazy and bought a lot of books for my dd, and have been reading to her ever since she was a nb.

Sometimes she will listen to me, but most of the times she just wants to eat the books.

Is there a technique? Like cancan, i just read and point to the pictures. I also pretend to be the frogs etc in the books. I actually looking at the colourful pictures and reading the interesting rhymes, prob more so than dd! :tlaugh:

I bought one cloth book for dd, and then decided that the board books are more interesting and easier for her to turn the pages. If she wants to bite the books, i'll just pass her the cloth one.

snowbear

Hmm, i've been reading to alicia since she was in my womb before i slept at nite (when i read that the foetus can hear already). After she was born, I read to her as part of the bedtime routine (even for naps, unless she's very tired and fussing for milk). But now that she's older and into tearing stuff, i've made the switch to reading board books to her for the moment till she learns how to behave herself. dont need to buy a lot of books coz research shows that it's better to concentrate on one book at a time so it's totally fine to keep reading the same book for a whole week to your baby! In fact, when the baby is very young, it doesn't matter what you read to her - you can even read newspaper articles to her!

chelle

My boy is 2 mths old now and i recently bought $40 worth of books for him.
Hee, very kiasu, but mostly pictures book for him to learn words.

kym

Me too, read to my girl since she was in my womb. She loves reading since young. she will follow the last sound each time when I read to her. You can start with this book 'brown bear brown bear what do you see' for baby, it contents colourful picture and little words (and is repeated words). It is my girl's favourite when she was baby.

meiteoh

Like some of the ladies, I started reading books to my little one when she was in my womb. Poison of choice? Roald Dahl. She's just a month old now but sometimes when she's just dozing off, I read to her and she dozes off faster.

Frenchkitty

I bought fabric books to read to my son.. He doesnt understand but he is captivated by the bright colors n pictures and the sounds the books produce.

I think when he is older, prob around 4-6months, I will try flash cards.. Show him cards of fruits, animals, vehicles one by one and say "Banana".. "Monkey" then slowly form sentences "Monkey eats Banana".. "Boy rides Car"

uddermummy

Hmm, i've been reading to alicia since she was in my womb before i slept at nite (when i read that the foetus can hear already). After she was born, I read to her as part of the bedtime routine (even for naps, unless she's very tired and fussing for milk). But now that she's older and into tearing stuff, i've made the switch to reading board books to her for the moment till she learns how to behave herself. dont need to buy a lot of books coz research shows that it's better to concentrate on one book at a time so it's totally fine to keep reading the same book for a whole week to your baby! In fact, when the baby is very young, it doesn't matter what you read to her - you can even read newspaper articles to her!
hee, I get bored of reading the same thing so I have to change the books! :001_302:

I actually get the books more for myself than for dd! wahahaha.

ochklk

I read to my son when he is only 2mths plus old, I know he dont understand but becos me and my hubby's english are like half bucket water.. so we want to start him early. I aso buy alot of book with alot of stories in there so won't get boring, now my son six mths old, I give him some fabric book so that he can learn how to turn the page himself. But some times he put it in his mouth.. hee..

snowbear

hee, I get bored of reading the same thing so I have to change the books! :001_302:

I actually get the books more for myself than for dear daughter! wahahaha.
I know the book by heart already... so nowadays she'd be busy turning pages and the story still gets narrated by mummy... hahaha...

Ting

i kinda gave up reading the book to pin, cos she always snatch from me n wanna "read" by herself.
but in sch the teachers do read to them, so i can slack off.
hwahahaha~

kenxf_03

My boy is 2 mths old now and i recently bought $40 worth of books for him.
Hee, very kiasu, but mostly pictures book for him to learn words.
Hi 5, Mummy Chelle!

I also read to my dear son but at 3 mths old and he will look at me and smile and kick his leg! Then u'll hear him making those "Errr, Eeee" sounds!

peacefulgal

my 9 month old son is still wanting to tear the book away when i wanted to read to him... sigh.... wondering if he is absorbing what i read to him

azukipancake

my 4-mth old just wants to tear the pages these days, but she does smile when I read and point to hte pictures. I'm too lazy to buy books catered to her age, so I just get one big compendium that can last us for a long time, and read from there :p Sometimes if I'm too tired to hold the book at the right angle and point things to her, I just read from any novel I can lay my hands on, and try to use more expressions so she's looking at me all the time. Seems to enjoy it as a bedtime routine.

liz2010

I gave books to my kids as soon as they can hold a small one. But give those intended for babies as they will put in the mouth or tear them. I used to read a book while they are playing and when they were about 12 mo old, I started the bedtime story book as they could concentrate and listen for a short story. I used to spend up to 20 mn reading the same stories to my son before he sleeps. Now, they love books and story telling.