baby always hungry?

isabelandrew

mummies, im not sure if my bb is still hungry. she is 3 mths now and feeds on the 4-hr schedule of:

160ml BM--10AM
150ml FM--2PM
160ml BM--6PM
150ml FM--10PM
150ml FM--6AM

everytime after she finish her milk, she still cry. im not sure if she is crying for the teat or what. i used to BF her for abt 1 hr everytime in her first 2 mths.

after pacifying her, she does forget abt it. then abt an hr before her next feed, she start to cry for milk again.

but FM interval cannot shorten right?

anyone can share her experiences with me?

snowbear

mummies, im not sure if my bb is still hungry. she is 3 mths now and feeds on the 4-hr schedule of:

160ml BM--10AM
150ml FM--2PM
160ml BM--6PM
150ml FM--10PM
150ml FM--6AM

everytime after she finish her milk, she still cry. im not sure if she is crying for the teat or what. i used to BF her for abt 1 hr everytime in her first 2 mths.

after pacifying her, she does forget abt it. then abt an hr before her next feed, she start to cry for milk again.

but FM interval cannot shorten right?

anyone can share her experiences with me?
If your baby is crying 1 hr before feeding time then perhaps you need to feed her at a 3-hour interval instead of 4. This is esp for the bm feeds since bm is more easily digested than fm. My DD used to drink 2-3hr interval when she was 3 months old (she's exclusively breastfed).

SunShine07

for me, i would just give if they want. when my son was 3 mth old he needs to be fed 3hourly 120ml, sometimes 2 hourly. It dpends, i won't stop or control because i am sure they really need it, if not they won't cry for it :)

SunShine07

oh i dun follow the formula tin. Infact, now he is already 18mths old, but he is still drinking only 120ml, but it is 3 hourly. Doctor also will say that, what stated there is just a guide, not meant to follow exactly. :)

Ottermum

Yup i also dun follow the tin...tried but it's impossible cos DS can't do it...different babies different demands...

DS now only drinks 150ml every 3-4 hrs...

DH says he's not chubby at all...

but what to do?? tried give him 180ml he can't finish...if i follow the tin now he should be drinking 210ml already...

autumn82

Yea, sometimes, the tin is super kuazhang for some babies.. Every baby is different.. :) Dun worry too much..

For myself, I stick to 3hrly since 1mth old until now for Iggy.

SunShine07

yap, my son also can't finished if give him more than 120ml....so i just feed on demand. sometimes an hour later he might need it again. sometimes, when he is sleepy, he will also ask for milk....basically my son loves milk a lot (my mum alwways said that he is 'NI GIEN' in hokkien) :)

isabelandrew

thanks for all the reply. but my BB girl very scary one. I think this is because my let down is slow and she takes 1 hr to breastfeed. when i introduce her bottle, she swallow really fast. now better la.

it seem like whatever amount I give, she will grobble down one.

So I should not stick to the tin of 4 hr interval ah?

SunShine07

hmmm. for me when my maid was just here that time i told her to give my son 120ml 3 hourly as usually, but if my son need (my son usually will cry for milk only) in less than 2 hours, then give him additional 100mm milk. acutally i am always mornitoring her for about a few weeks until i thnk she can....

But me dun trust totally lah....still checking everytime :)

chiro

this could be one of his growth spurts. my 3 months old son sometimes hungry every hour after i fed him for 1.5 hours, but i still latch him on when he hungry, i feed him more frequently . Me now taking fenugreek.there were times i was so tired that i told my dh to prepare formula milk, guess what, he was latched on the next hour after he poo and wee. He was so hungry tat tears were flowing out of his eyes
thanks for all the reply. but my BB girl very scary one. I think this is because my let down is slow and she takes 1 hr to breastfeed. when i introduce her bottle, she swallow really fast. now better la.

Domique

mine suppose to drink 180ml but he can drink oni up to 120ml....

sigh!

Yup i also dun follow the tin...tried but it's impossible cos DS can't do it...different babies different demands...

DS now only drinks 150ml every 3-4 hrs...

DH says he's not chubby at all...

but what to do?? tried give him 180ml he can't finish...if i follow the tin now he should be drinking 210ml already...

snowbear

Yes, i think you should start feeding her 3hrly and see if she still cries. After all, instructions on tins and pamphlets just serve as guidelines. Babies are not robots and programmed to take in the same amount of milk or have the same metabolic rate... :)

Last edited:

SunShine07

Yes, i think you should start feeding her 3hrly and see if she still cries. After all, instructions on tins and pamphlets are just serve as guidelines. Babies are not robots and programmed to take in the same amount of milk or have the same metabolic rate... :)
ya that's right...dun have to follow it. Just feed on demand

blubberish

my baby's near to a month old and used to be able to last on 90ml of my expressed breast milk for 3 hrs yesterday. but today she's been asking for milk every 2 hourly. i dunno is it coz of mil who always assume tt when babies cry, it must be coz of hunger... how?

chiro

this growth spurt is normal, dun worry, just continue feeding baby on demand
my baby's near to a month old and used to be able to last on 90ml of my expressed breast milk for 3 hrs yesterday. but today she's been asking for milk every 2 hourly. i dunno is it coz of mil who always assume tt when babies cry, it must be coz of hunger... how?

chiro

this growth spurt is normal, dun worry, just continue feeding baby on demand

kereen

isabelandrew i tink my baby even more hungry then urs bah
lets say we start at
0000hrs 105ml
0300hrs 105ml
0700hrs 105ml
1100hrs 105ml
1500hrs 105ml
1800hrs 105ml
2100hrs 105ml

all the timing i stated above are plus and minus 1 hour but my gal is only barely 3week old, i tried feeding her abit lesser and she will cry non stop.
is it normal?
PD from TMC said that just feed until she dun wan to eat.when they r full they will stop de