baby doesn't want to drink milk...

dawn

hi, ever since i started my 9 mth old ds on semi-solids when he was 7 mths old, he has been steadily showing a lack of interest in milk (both formula and breastmilk), to the extent of pushing away the bottle and kicking up a fuss whenever i tried to make him finish up his 6 oz bottle - which he had no problem guzzling down just a few months back.

Now, in any sitting, he's struggling to take in even half that amt : (

While I understand babies may lose interest in milk at some time, I'm quite concerned from his nutrition point of view as his total daily milk intake is now hovering only around 8 oz!

While he seems to have no problem with his semi-solids (and water from the bottle), I am concerned that he is not getting the nutrients and minerals that come in formula or breastmilk... But it sounds silly to see a paedi for this since he is still eating but maybe he'll need a vitamin to supplement the semi solid foods..

hope to get some thoughts from you here..

btw, my ds is hovering at the 50th percentile in terms of weight and height for his age.

SH74

how abt getting food that is milk based? e.g. milk biscuit. no choice, at least he gets some milk in his diet.

ferntree

My son was like that too, from 5 mth old, in fact. He refused all kinds of milk. And he was consistently underwt by 2kg. He just loved water and solid food.

This was what I tried - adding a lot of milk powder to food, giving him very concentrated milk powder goo ( ie just add like 20ml water to his 4 scoops of milk and feedg him that with a spoon.

And when he turned 1yr, I gave 3 tblespoons of yoghurt each morning, cheese and fresh milk ( which he seemed to like), to supplement what fomula milk I could force him to drink.

And the pd recommd pediasure as it has a higher caloric content, so I switched to it when he was 11mth old and it helped.
I tried chocolate, honey flavoured and finally he took to the honey one. And finally, when he was 1 1/2yr, I realised he would drink formula milk if I used cold water instead of warm. So up til now, he still drinks his milk cold. He is a strange baby.

Now, that he is almost 2yrs, he has finally decided not to torture his mother anymore, and is drinking his milk 3 times a day without protest. With the cartoons on and with a toy in his hand. ( although, he doesn't LOVE it and he downs only 600ml a day).
:001_302:So don't worry, things will get better. Hope you find this helpful.

veronica

Dont feel stressed. My son is never a milk drinker since he was abt 10mths old. He never hit the 240ML mark..maybe only once or twice.

Last time i used to stress myself so much thinking he may not get enough nutrients that at times I will force him to finish.

Now I learn to let it be. You can substitue other things like giving him cheese.

Today he is going 3 and can auto ask for milk liao but of course still not drinking enough....:001_302:

DodoTan

Yeah don't worry too much. According to my parents, I was one of those rare babies that are born lactose intolerant. I couldn't take milk at all. Would puke and diarrhea everytime I took milk. And last time where got soy-based formula one. Apparently, I grew up on diluted rice cereal and milo.

I only got over the lactose intolerance during my pregnancy. Strange, I know. Luckily, my son is not like me.

dawn

thanks, i will try to source for other sources of nutrients and hopefully, introduce him to cheese and other dairy products in time to come :001_302:

babymoon

thanks, i will try to source for other sources of nutrients and hopefully, introduce him to cheese and other dairy products in time to come :001_302:
yah.. dun worry too much! but becareful when buying food for baby nowadays. made in where? manufacture in where? u know now lots of food are just not very safe.. :tlaugh:

boringtazz

My baby girl is 8 months old now, ever since born she only drinks like 2 oz of milk from a bottle and prefer to latch on. After 1st month, she just refuse to drink from a bottle, have been introducing her to milk bottle with different teats, tried pigeon, nuk, prince, dr brown etc...but she somehow just chew on the teat.

So I introduce her to solid food at 4 months, giving her baby cereal with milk but she refuse to eat. I then cook rice porridge and she loves it. Ever since then, she has been eating like 2 bowls of porridge every day and only latch on. As I'm thinking of weaning her off my breast, have introduced her to a sippy cup, tried Mag Mag but as the teat was soft, she just chew it. So I bought pigeon sippy cup as the teat was hard and she is now able to drink from the cup, about 2 to 3 oz.

However she doesn't seems to like milk and prefer to drink plain water from the cup. So I tried putting formula milk into her food. Have manage to find some good recipes that include formula milk. A simple one is white bread soak in formula milk and applesauce. Do check out my blog if you are keen to see more formula milk based recipe.

strawberry

My baby only drinks milk when he is sleeping. He also likes his milk cold. He also drinks pediasure. I can't even add milk into his food. He rejects the food once he tast milk content in his porridge.

sprawld

Hi Boringtazz

Your blog is excellent.. wish I could cook like you. My LO does not eat nor drink milk as well.. Will try to see if I can get the milk to be added into the food like yours!

boringtazz

Hi Boringtazz

Your blog is excellent.. wish I could cook like you. My LO does not eat nor drink milk as well.. Will try to see if I can get the milk to be added into the food like yours!
Thanks :) Those recipes I used are all rather easy, mainly just throw everything into the pot and boil, so doesn't need much skills or time as I really don't have the time and energy to cook those really tedious baby meals. So, do give it a try. By the way, saw another websites with lots of discussion on baby not drinking milk, check this out. My Baby is not drinking milk | BabyCenter