baby dont seems to know hw to open mouth =(

apollo

Regina, My girl also dont't like to eat threadfin. So what I do is, cook together the threadfin with the rice and not let her eat the fish meat, add in spinach. She can finish her porridge without gagging. Yesterday nanny cook cod fish, she like it and finish the porridge with the cod fish meat :)
i also put it tgt with the rice.. e.g, if ds mealtime is 4pm, i wil put the fish into the slow cooker with the porridge at 2pm... hw old is ur girl? i heard from some mummies tt cod fish is too oily for babies...

annie

regina, fish dosent take long to cook n u should not put into slow cooker to cook cos the longer u cook the more nutrient will be lost. same goes with veg. u should just cook the porridge with the slow cooker n either cook the meat(fish), veg seperately or put into the slow cooker slightly before the porridge is cooked.

glad that your son takes so much porridge! is it cos the fish smelly? maybe u can try to get rid of the fishy smell first?

apollo

regina, fish dosent take long to cook n you should not put into slow cooker to cook cos the longer you cook the more nutrient will be lost. same goes with veg. you should just cook the porridge with the slow cooker n either cook the meat(fish), veg seperately or put into the slow cooker slightly before the porridge is cooked.

glad that your son takes so much porridge! is it cos the fish smelly? maybe you can try to get rid of the fishy smell first?
oh... then can i put the fish intp the slow cooker 15mins b4 feeding ds?? as in, i switch to 'cook' mode den throw in the fish? cos ds is taking only small portion of fish and vege, so i dunno hw to cook it...

i tried the fish, no fishy smell at all...

annie

hi regina sorry i have never ever used a slow cooker thus dunno how to reply u. wat i do is, i will throw the fish into the porridge about 5mins before the porridge is cooked if i use a saucepan to cook. if i use rice cooker, then i will boil,steam the fish seperately in a saucepan then mix with the cooked porridge...

when my girl is not taking alot, i use a saucepan to cook her meals. i find it is easy as it doesnt take much time..just get a super small saucepan so the mouth of the saucepan is not that big then it wont be burnt or dry up so soon. i bought a small pan just for her food. till now still using that. n i never use it for my or hubby's food at all. hehe. dun like to mix.. thats her saucepan hehe

autumn82

Agree with annie, I think adding fish 2hrs before feeding is too long. By then, nutrients all lost and the fish won't taste that smooth. 5-10mins should be more than sufficient.

Cod fish with porridge makes the porridge pretty creamy and tasty. That's why Iggy likes it so much more than threadfin porridge. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

thepinkdot

oh... then can i put the fish intp the slow cooker 15mins before feeding dear son?? as in, i switch to 'cook' mode then throw in the fish? cos dear son is taking only small portion of fish and vege, so i dont know hw to cook it...

i tried the fish, no fishy smell at all...
yah.. u could switch the slow cooker on.. and then throw in the fish slices.. it shld only take roughly less than 10 minutes to be throughly cooked.

i know you prefer to cook his porridge with slow cooker.. i love to use it too (or rather my daughter wouldn't eat unless its slow cooked) and plus it is a very easy way to cook..

Juan

i also put it together with the rice.. e.g, if dear son mealtime is 4pm, i wil put the fish into the slow cooker with the porridge at 2pm... hw old is your girl? i heard from some mummies that cod fish is too oily for babies...
one more week later my girl is 8mths old already. I cook the fish together with the rice is because my girl don't like to eat the fish meat. At the fish time, I cook the rice, then steam the fish and mashed it and then add to the porride and my girl eat till gag. So, I decide to cook the fish together with the rice since anyhow she will not eat the fish meat, and I think the nutrition already go the the porridge just like we cook fish stock? OR it is not?

diymummy

Hi Juan, how abt making fish stock? Then use it to cook the porridge. Making of fish stock you can add in more fish for more taste and nutrition. :) Just a suggestion.

Ting

regina, always go AHHH AHH AHHH AHHHH AHHHH~ infront of him when feeding, he sure to learn it!
tts what i do, since your DS wanna eat, then u pretend u gg to eat by putting the spoon near your mouth n open bigbig, he see alr sure learn from u!

hahaha!

autumn82

Hi Juan, how about making fish stock? Then use it to cook the porridge. Making of fish stock you can add in more fish for more taste and nutrition. :) Just a suggestion.
But 1 thing about fish stock, pretty fishy I feel. Unless u're talking about ikan billis type... :001_302::001_302::001_302:

autumn82

regina, always go AHHH AHH AHHH AHHHH AHHHH~ infront of him when feeding, he sure to learn it!
tts what i do, since your dear son wanna eat, then you pretend you gg to eat by putting the spoon near your mouth n open bigbig, he see already sure learn from you!

hahaha!
Say "Open your mouth, Ahhhh.." Then at least at the same time, he knows what is open your mouth.. Wahahahaah :p

I do that to Iggy lahh.. :p

apollo

tts what i do, since your dear son wanna eat, then you pretend you gg to eat by putting the spoon near your mouth n open bigbig, he see already sure learn from you!

hahaha!
i tried!! every spoon, i will go "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" den when he eats, i will say "GOOD BOY!! Mummy loves u!" i repeat every spoon.. so i say "good boy" ard 20-30x each meal. HAHA!!

but good news is, today, he tend to open his mouth most of the time. but still, certain time he still dont know when the right time to open his mouth..

apollo

btw mummies, what is fish stock?? hw to make??

this aftnoon i put the fish in the slow cooker den ard 10min later, i scoopp out the fish, cover it. when ds want to eat then i scoop out the porridge.. but the fish was only left outside the slow cooker less then 15min b4 i fed ds...

autumn82

i tried!! every spoon, i will go "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" then when he eats, i will say "GOOD BOY!! Mummy loves you!" i repeat every spoon.. so i say "good boy" around 20-30x each meal. HAHA!!

but good news is, today, he tend to open his mouth most of the time. but still, certain time he still dont know when the right time to open his mouth..
Slowly laa.. :) He will get better each day.. Heh.

autumn82

btw mummies, what is fish stock?? hw to make??

this aftnoon i put the fish in the slow cooker then around 10min later, i scoopp out the fish, cover it. when dear son want to eat then i scoop out the porridge.. but the fish was only left outside the slow cooker less then 15min before i fed dear son...
Fish stock means using fish meat or fish bones to make into stock. Besides that, u can also use ikan billis to do it.

So did he eat the fish? :001_302:

apollo

Fish stock means using fish meat or fish bones to make into stock. Besides that, you can also use ikan billis to do it.

So did he eat the fish? :001_302:
means cook with water, aft tt use the water to cook porridge??? izzit lik tt?? paiseh, i super gongwhen it comes to all these.. haha..

he ate the fish, but not alot.. ytd his porridge was added with pumpkin and 'heng cai' and he can ate 7tablespoon without stopping, but today i gave him threadfin again,same as last time, aft 2 tablespoon, he not v willing to eat alrdy..

Juan

Regina, I think your boy same as my girl, don't like to eat Threadfin. Both my husband and me also don't like steam threadfin but I like fried threadfin. But my girl like cod fish.
So, I just cook the treadfin together with the porridge then add in spinach 30mins before I off the slow cooker. In my opinion the nutrition is already in the porridge just like to make the fish stock
water + fish =Stock, water + fish + rice = fish stock porridge? hehe :)

autumn82

means cook with water, after that use the water to cook porridge??? izzit lik that?? paiseh, i super gongwhen it comes to all these.. haha..

he ate the fish, but not alot.. ytd his porridge was added with pumpkin and 'lucky cai' and he can ate 7tablespoon without stopping, but today i gave him threadfin again,same as last time, after 2 tablespoon, he not very willing to eat alrdy..
U can wash the ikan bilis/fish bones/fish meat thoroughly, then drain it. Bring water(2L) to boil and add the ikan bilis/fish bones/fish meat, lower heat and cover wit a lid. Simmer for 30 mins. Once done, just strain the stock and voila~ :)

Yes, use the stock to cook the porridge. :001_302:

Hmm.. Maybe u can try pumpkin with fish? :) See if he still eats it.. Or get another type of fish, like cod fish. If you're afraid too oily, maybe for a start, use a smaller portion let him try it out.