baby dont seems to know hw to open mouth =(

apollo

ds has been taking solid food for nearly a mth..

but i realised he dont really know hw to open his mouth for the spoon to go in.. need me to 'push' the spoon in.. can see that he wants the cereal/porridge but he just dont know hw to open his mouth to let the spoon goes in. is tt normal? hw to 'teach' him to open his mouth for the food?

but when he is eating baby biscuits, graduate puffs, he can eat very well. no need us to teach him at all...

another qns: ds is only eating 3 tablespoon of cereal/porridge, is that enough for him? is that too little?

diymummy

My boy also like that initially. Only improved after 1 mth plus. Maybe instead of pushing the spoon in, put the spoon in front of him and open your own mouth so that he can see you opening your mouth. That's what I did.

I think 3 heaped tablespoon is enough. My boy is taking 3 heaped tablespoons of cereal for dinner.

When he just started out, he took 1 teaspoon, followed by 1 heaped teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, 1 heaped tablespon and so on.

As long as he's not displaying signs of hunger after food and can drag till longer to the next milk feed, you should be giving him enough.

apollo

My boy also like that initially. Only improved after 1 month plus. Maybe instead of pushing the spoon in, put the spoon in front of him and open your own mouth so that he can see you opening your mouth. That's what I did.

I think 3 heaped tablespoon is enough. My boy is taking 3 heaped tablespoons of cereal for dinner.

When he just started out, he took 1 teaspoon, followed by 1 heaped teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, 1 heaped tablespon and so on.

As long as he's not displaying signs of hunger after food and can drag till longer to the next milk feed, you should be giving him enough.
i tried opening my mouth big big and even show him that i'm going to put the spoon into my mouth.. but he still cry. he cry until i push the spoon in and he taste the porridge so i assume that he wants the porridge but dont know hw to open his mouth at the right time..

hmm tablespoon is those big metal spoon we use to eat our rice right? i'm using sth lik tt to scoop his porridge...

annie

my girl was initially like that as well..

i didnt really start my girl with 1 teaspoon or watsoever.. i just give her till she stop wanting it.

my girl has been taking 3 tablespoon of rice grains(before cook) which is 1 whole pigeon bb bowl for her porridge/rice since about 9mths or so till now..

Last edited:

Juan

3 table spoon? My girl can finish half bowl of the porridge leh, you know those square carton bowl for kid? will it be too much? She eat at 6pm, 7pm nap till 7.45pm. And sometime she wake up will ask for milk, so I just give her 60ml because my sister told me sometimes babies just get use for milk so they require to suck bottle with milk and not hungry, so I just give her to satify her and so she is happy after her milk :)

diymummy

i tried opening my mouth big big and even show him that i'm going to put the spoon into my mouth.. but he still cry. he cry until i push the spoon in and he taste the porridge so i assume that he wants the porridge but dont know hw to open his mouth at the right time..

hmm tablespoon is those big metal spoon we use to eat our rice right? i'm using something lik that to scoop his porridge...
Ya tablespoon is the big metal spoon

I use it to measure the dry cereal before mixing with milk. For porridge I use 1 chinese spoon of uncooked rice.

apollo

my 3 table spoon is measure BEFORE adding milk for cereal, and AFTER cooking porridge.. for porridge, will it be too lil since it is measure AFTER cooking?

diymummy, can ur son finish the 1 tablespoon or rice (measure b4 cooking)??

diymummy

Hi Regina mummy, yes my son finishes 1 chinese soup spoon of uncooked rice. He could only finish it when his cereal he was already taking 3 heaped tablespoon of dry cereal, before adding milk. :)

At 7 mths, my boy was on 2 meals a day. 2 heaped tablespoon of cereal for lunch and 2 heaped tablespoon of cereal for dinner.

At 8 mths I intro porridge for 1 meal. Dinner was still cereal. 3 heaped tablespoon of dry cereal.

At 9 mths he went on 3 meals. 2 heaped tbs (tablespoon) dry cereal. 1 porridge for lunch, 3 tbs dry cereal for dinner.

At 10 mths he feel ill. And his milk intake was affected quite badly. So I droped the morning feed.

Till now he's still on 2 meals. 1 porridge for lunch and 3 heaped tbs cereal for dinner.

:)

annie

regina, how old is your son now? i would say all bb has differnet appetite same as adults. some eat more some eat less. if his weight gain is increasing then no need to worry so much. if he usually clear his bowl then u cna try to increase one more tablespoon or so. slowly increase his intake IF he manage to consistenly clear his bowl. if not then probably he is not a big eater at this moment.

i remember my girl use to take only 1 ice cube size(15ml) of cooked cereal a meal at first(6mths old).. then only after 2 mths(8mths old) she started taking 2-3 ice cubes of cooked cereal(30-45ml) per meal.. then slowly increase to be able to finish one whole bowl of cereal n porridge/rice around 9-10mths...

Last edited:

littlehelper

When he was drinking milk only did he open his mouth when you put the teat of milk bottle in mouth?
If he did then mayb now just unsure of what this metal thing is and dun dare open his mouth.
Can try tapping his mouth with the milk bottle teat then quickly slide in the spoon.

jasobias

me i feed baby brwn rice cereal..made with 60 ml of milk..i think i usually add abt 3 heaped tablespoon of the cereal.N half a bottle of those gerber or heinz fruit puree..for dinner same amt of cereal n i wld try to feed one bottle of either carrots/squash gerber bottles.She is a very naughty baby..refuses milk in day time n now nite time drinks every 2-3 hrs.Day time u feed her she spits out bottle coz she wants to play,feed in sippy cup also she dont want.She now 4 plus months,if she continues with not drinking milk in day time i will increase solids to 3 times a day..wah piang just imagining the mess to clean up

apollo

When he was drinking milk only did he open his mouth when you put the teat of milk bottle in mouth?
If he did then mayb now just unsure of what this metal thing is and dont dare open his mouth.
Can try tapping his mouth with the milk bottle teat then quickly slide in the spoon.
yes he will open his mouth for milk teat. in fact he opens his mouth for everything except spoon -.-""

annie, ds is 6mth 1 week old =)

annie

then he is doing great! my girl dosent open her mouth at that age n also taking only less than 1 tablespoon of food! lol. i made in batches n freeze it but everytime i defreeze only 1 ice cube which is a miserable 15ml n yet she cant even finish it! imagine she taking only less than 1 tablespoon of cereal per meal? even fruit puree also less than 1 tablespoon...

she started solid almsot exactly when she reached 6mths old..n then she got sick 3 days after i started solid.. got diarrhae n fever.. so i stopped solid n resume around 7mths old cos though her fever subsided, her diarrhea continues to about 8 days or so... then i got a bit paranoid to give her solid so i held off till she is 7mths old.. so at 7-8mths she is still taking only less than 1 tablespoon of solid but i breastfeed her on demand though... only at 9mths or so she start to open her mouth for food iirc.. n also increase her intake then...

BTW, dun need to worry so much bout his food intake as during their 1st yr of life, MILK is still the most impt diet... i didnt really care how much my girl eats before she is 1.. sometimes i go out whole day or go on holiday, i just give her only milk. no solid or i will try to bring some with me but i dun really care of she dosent eat much since milk is more impt... after she past 1 then i worry more hehe

Last edited:

apollo

then he is doing great! my girl dosent open her mouth at that age n also taking only less than 1 tablespoon of food! lol. i made in batches n freeze it but everytime i defreeze only 1 ice cube which is a miserable 15ml n yet she cant even finish it! imagine she taking only less than 1 tablespoon of cereal per meal? even fruit puree also less than 1 tablespoon...

she started solid almsot exactly when she reached 6mths old..n then she got sick 3 days after i started solid.. got diarrhae n fever.. so i stopped solid n resume around 7mths old cos though her fever subsided, her diarrhea continues to about 8 days or so... then i got a bit paranoid to give her solid so i held off till she is 7mths old.. so at 7-8mths she is still taking only less than 1 tablespoon of solid but i breastfeed her on demand though... only at 9mths or so she start to open her mouth for food iirc.. n also increase her intake then...

BTW, dont need to worry so much bout his food intake as during their 1st your of life, MILK is still the most impt diet... i didnt really care how much my girl eats before she is 1.. sometimes i go out whole day or go on holiday, i just give her only milk. no solid or i will try to bring some with me but i dont really care of she dosent eat much since milk is more impt... after she past 1 then i worry more hehe
thks for ur input annie! actu i'm more wry that he dont really 'know' how to open his mouth for spoon.. but since ur said it is pretty normal, i think i'm wrying too much alrdy haha...

baby eat more, wry. baby eat less also wry! haha!

autumn82

thks for your input annie! actually i'm more wry that he dont really 'know' how to open his mouth for spoon.. but since your said it is pretty normal, i think i'm wrying too much alrdy haha...

baby eat more, wry. baby eat less also wry! haha!
Maybe u can try changing another type of spoon? Colourful ones? Heh.

Mummy to Baby V

Nurse taught me to let baby hold spoon as I guide it to his mouth (or hold my little finger while I hold the spoon). Interestingly, his mouth always opens when the spoon is near his mouth, think it's some instinct to eat.

My problem is that he loves to BITE the spoon when it's inside, and he finds it fun. Hmmph! So I need to remove the spoon quickly before he bites it hard.

I'm fortunate that he loves milk and food. At 9.5mths old:
Lunch is 4 level tblsp cereal + 2 to 3 tblsp vege + 3/4 apple or pear.
Dinner is 4 to 5 level tblsp cereal + 1 small bunch of vege
Drinks breastmilk as per normal since his meals are meant to supplement his milk feeds.

As long as baby finishes his milk as usual, is satisfied after his meal and gains weight well, he's having enough. Each baby is different. :)

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby V
Mummy's Reviews

annie

i was using the soft rubbery flat tip pigeon spoon as well till maybe around 11mths then i change to another brandless bb spoon which is rounder n deeper( a present from a fren). the flat tip spoon is easier to feed her even if she dun open mouth as its easier to 'slip' the spoon into her mouth since its flat. but then the bad thing is.. since its flat... i cant feed her too watery food cos it cant be pick up by the spoon.. so i always give her pasty food..

yah regina. all parent worry lol. when my girl ate alot, i worry she eat too much n affect milk feed before she was 1.. now she eat lesser i worry she dun have enough nutrients though she is still drinking lots of milk lol. its natural mummy instict to worry i guess lol

apollo

i was using the soft rubbery flat tip pigeon spoon as well till maybe around 11mths then i change to another brandless baby spoon which is rounder n deeper( a present from a friend). the flat tip spoon is easier to feed her even if she dont open mouth as its easier to 'slip' the spoon into her mouth since its flat. but then the bad thing is.. since its flat... i cant feed her too watery food cos it cant be pick up by the spoon.. so i always give her pasty food..

yah regina. all parent worry lol. when my girl ate alot, i worry she eat too much n affect milk feed before she was 1.. now she eat lesser i worry she dont have enough nutrients though she is still drinking lots of milk lol. its natural mummy instict to worry i guess lol

ds just ate 7 tablespoon of porridge!!!!! i think becos the pumpkin smells nice.. n i realise he dun lik threadfin -.-"""

Juan

Regina, My girl also don't like to eat threadfin. So what I do is, cook together the threadfin with the rice and not let her eat the fish meat, add in spinach. She can finish her porridge without gagging. Yesterday nanny cook cod fish, she like it and finish the porridge with the cod fish meat :)